Is it legal to have a carseat in a truck's backseat? Specifically an extended cab

M

Mad

Im looking at buying a Ford F250 Super cab (Two regular doors, two smaller ones, no center pillar). Is it legal to have a baby car seat in the back row of seat when they aren't full size?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Im looking at buying a Ford F250 Super cab (Two regular doors, two smaller ones, no center pillar). Is it legal to have a baby car seat in the back row of seat when they aren't full size?

Hi, what year is the vehicle? Various F-250 models lack the LATCH system lower anchors for child safety seats because vehicles above a certain weight rating are exempt from the federal standards that require them in all other passenger vehicles. Super/extended cab pickup models also may have other challenges, but full size models are usually able to have car seats installed using the seatbelts, with some exceptions like side-facing rear seats. You definitely need to check the owner's manual for all F-250 models in regard to car seat installation. If the manual prohibits car seat installation, then it is also illegal to do so.

Newer F-150 crew cab models are generally very good for car seats in the 2nd row.

dafish

Mad:
You might also look at your states location restrictions just in case. Perhaps here:

I do not believe (and I'm not a lawyer) that an owners manual is a legally definitive statement. You would likely be outside of their liability, but illegal may (note the may) be a stretch.

Meanwhile, it would seem some don't know what an F-250 is. You're gonna have at the least seat belts way back to OMG that's old, and shoulder belts on the outboard ones since at least the 90's so. Nor is there much required for bench depth. I seriously don't expect any restrictions will exist legally.

Realistically (so ethics and in practice, not legal) I'm going to bet the only issue you have is space. Car seats eat space like crazy and your rear cab isn't going to have lots. If buckets you have some additional flexiblity, if u r front bench things may get tight quick. Tough call. Stick a car-seat in it, you'll know quick.

Luck to you,

-d

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Mad:
You might also look at your states location restrictions just in case. Perhaps here:

I do not believe (and I'm not a lawyer) that an owners manual is a legally definitive statement. You would likely be outside of their liability, but illegal may (note the may) be a stretch.

As for legaity, you do need to check the actual, full wording of the state law as many include some terminology for proper use that could indeed reference to the vehicle and child restraint owner's manuals. Summaries of the laws are handy for limits for ages and weights and such, but rarely indicate exactly what may result in a ticket, or worse, a serious injury.

Aside from the legality, it seems unwise to restrain a child contrary to the manuals in any case. This would generally involve an untested configuration at best, and at worst, one that is known to the manufacturer to be dangerous.

So, please, always read and follow the owner's manuals in regard to safely restraining passengers in a vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC