Question Is it ever legal to have a child ride on your lap while driving?

Cristina

Having an interesting FB debate and I thought you all might know about laws regarding this.
Is there any circumstance when it is not illegal to have a child riding on your lap while you drive?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
In countries without seatbelt laws?

When your lives are in immediate danger from a violent predator? (ex: I was targetted by a group of racists at a park, chasing us, making horrific threats against me & my baby - I barely made it into my car safely, drove unbuckled to the police station wearing her in the sling & they didn't charge me for my reckless parking either as it was obvious I was extremely frightened for our lives).

I'm not sure if an injury would be excused in certain states since an ambulance would be a wiser option.

Cristina

No immediate danger, just for fun and a better view, and in a US state
I know buses and taxis are exempt...
But are there any circumstances when it would be legal in your own personal car?
Also, does public vs. private property make a difference?

christineka

In the state of Utah, if you have more people than seatbelts, it is legal to put the rest of the people wherever in the vehicle. If I want to take my whole family out in the civic, it is perfectly legal for dh, myself, and three of my favorite kids to ride in seatbelts. The other three can legally ride on anyone's laps or on the floor.

Cristina

a 2 1/2 year old riding on the driver's lap while driving at 10mph. No seatbelts Plenty of room left in the minivan and her seat installed in a proper place in the back seat. 2 1/2 year old allowed to sit on driver's lap for fun and for a better view.
legal?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Taxis are not always exempt. Depends on the state.

Cristina said:
a 2 1/2 year old riding on the driver's lap while driving at 10mph. No seatbelts Plenty of room left in the minivan and her seat installed in a proper place in the back seat. 2 1/2 year old allowed to sit on driver's lap for fun and for a better view.
legal?

Possibly on private property.

Whether or not its legal, it's not smart.

TerisBoys

Aren't somethings just no brainers??

When Josh was a baby, I had a work acquaintance brag about nursing her toddler while driving through the S-curves in Grand Rapids, MI.

The S-curves are a roughly 3 mile stretch of freeway running through the busiest city on this side of the state. Multiple on/off ramps from both sides, tight curves, 3-4 lanes of traffic traveling each way.

She had an MBA in business. She wasn't a dumb lady. It was legal, so it was ok in her eyes.

Baylor

Sometimes common sense has nothing to do with smart. I guess I don't equate the two. I may not be a rocket scientist but even my pea brain can see the risk of not having a kid in a car seat in a moving car.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Didn't Michigan get rid of the breastfeeding exemption? What other states allow it? (I seem to remember there were a couple.)

Baylor

I gotta tell you, I love nursing my kids. Nursed my first 2 til they were well over a year and never had the need to nurse while riding in a car. I just always pulled over.

bethng

legal?

dang, were you at my school the other day? 3 year old lap riding kid is back to "driving" on her moms lap despite the ticket she got.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
NC *just* (2007) got rid of the "to meet their needs" clause. With that clause it was legal to remove your kids from their seats "to meet their needs". So yes, it was completely legal to drive down the road nursing your baby in your lap.

Completely and utter facepalm. So glad it's gone.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC