Interesting old shield booster. Like KWP?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I found these pictures on a forum from 2001. The person posting the pictures was from Holland. The seat was apparently marketed specifically for Porsche.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate/image_uploads/babyseat!.JPG
http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate/image_uploads/babyseat1!.JPG

Original thread: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/9545-baby-board.html (Try not to have too many heart attacks about the "information" being shared there - the thread is over ten years old after all).

The design looks a LOT like the KWP. Nothing at all like the shield boosters we had in the US during that time. Has that style seat been in use for that long in Europe? Does it have a great track record?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

finn

I think you can still buy them, I have seen the BMW ones for sale & that's all I know about them lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They've been in Europe for quite a while (Recaro had a shield for the Start, I think Kiddie's been doing it there for years, not sure who else). They spread the forces over a greater area (therefore less impact on any one particular area) and go from the armpits to hips, so they do a great job of holding the spine well. If you're going to have a child 20-40 pounds (average weight for age) forward facing, this would be a very good choice. It'd be more exciting if they could get the shield weight up to 65 pounds.

Wendy

newyorkDOC

Cybex makes them too (actually its a shield added to an x-fix that you can remove later on).

I doubt they will make shields to 25kg. I think this is mainly due to the head excursion argument. The only seat in Europe that harnesses that long is the TWE.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Britax marketed the Laptop in the USA, based on the European Romer Vario. The Romer Prince was like a Vario with a high back and was marketed for Porsche and other auto manufacturers. It looks a lot like the one you posted, except it was usually seen in a multi-color speckled pattern. I suspect all the ones produced for the USA market are expired, but you'd have to contact Britax or Porsche to be sure. Like the KWP, they were also quite different than US shield boosters of the time, where the shields tended to be much lower on the torso and were not made of energy absorbing materials.

_juune

There was an old not-so-great Euroncap test with an older Kiddy shield seat [here, click on the "films" link, too]. That is quite old test, though, 2002, so the design must have been improved a lot since then. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think car manufacturers submit cars to Euroncap with Kiddy or other shield seats anymore for some reason, in newer tests there is mostly Britax or the Fair 0/1.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC