News Interesting article about child restraints.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They covered this on a few news outlets last night. The footage on our local news showed a grandpa putting a little boy in a very expired overhead shield seat :rolleyes: but at least he said he'd keep the kids in the back a lot longer :)

I don't see how the results of this study could be any different, as long as car seat labels and state laws are still saying the same old stuff, yeah?

cantabdad

This is only evidence of my naivete, but I am absolutely astounded by the statistics in that paper. The levels of inappropriately restrained kids are just startling.

I can understand how some well-intentioned parents could nonetheless get confused by their instruction manuals and make common mistakes, such as "borrowing" LATCH anchors in the center seating position when not permitted, using the wrong set of shoulder slots for RF vs. FF, etc.

But to allow a child to ride totally unrestrained? Or a tiny tot in just a booster seat and/or in the front seat? What are people thinking?

The data for the paper were collected 2007-2009 so in some ways it is not surprising that there weren't more 1-3 year olds rear-facing. Our own pediatrician, who is otherwise excellent, was still instructing us on the "1 and 20" rule at that time.

Americans don't like to talk about race and class but the disparities in the paper are also noteworthy. The regional differences are interesting, too, with kids in the Northeast 2-3 times more likely to be appropriately restrained than in the South or Midwest.

mama23boyz

Wow, those statistics are astounding! :(
I don't know how to link articles, but a woman I went to hs with was just killed in a head on collision (sounds like her fault) & her 3 year old is still in very critical condition. Neither wearing seatbelts, boy was not in any kind of restraint & was sitting in front seat. Makes me sick :( and angry

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC