Installing RF seat in a school bus

libranbutterfly

My dad has a school bus, (bought for boy scouts-he is also a bus driver for the public schools) and he is going to be driving us on field trips for girl scouts. I am just wondering how I can safely transport Rayne in it. She is not going on our first trip, but would like to have a solution in the spring. Thanks :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Spam

If it has seatbelts you can install a car seat just like you would in a car. My mom drives for migrant headstart here and they have 2 week old little ones to five years and they all ride in car seats on the bus.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Generally not. You would have to buy a seat that's reinforced to withstand with the belt, be bolted the right way, the whole bit. Then you'd have to have the owner's of the bus install it, or pay to have it installed. Can you drive your own car?

Wendy

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I was just talking about this earlier today. I learned that, as Wendy mentioned, they generally need to replace the bench.

You can contact the manufacturer of the bus. I'll look and see what links I can find. I'm fairly positive there are some.

libranbutterfly

The bus belongs to my dad. If enough other parents go on our trips, I could drive my car. Our first trip is December 2nd but Rayne is not going.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

U

Unregistered

I drive a school bus for public schools and my employer allows "ride-alongs" meaning I bring my 2 year old twins to work every day and they ride my bus route with me. When I was assigned my bus our mechanics installed seat belts by bolting them to points on the floor of the bus so the girls car seats could be installed. This is something they do regularly as buses don't come standard with seat belts and they have to be installed when special needs or preschool age children ride the buses. There are also some newer buses that have latch points pre-installed in the bench seats of the first row. If our mechanics can install them I imagine that you could probably find a bus mechanic to install them for you. You may even mention it to your father since he drives for a public school. They may already have the resources to do the installation since they may have children with that need in their system.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC