Installing harnessed boosters in a 93 Jeep Wrangler

S

Sarah K

Hello all,

My husband recently bought a 93 Jeep Wrangler; it has the bench seat in the back, and we are working toward getting two harnessed boosters (like the Graco Tranzitions) installed back there.
The two riders are: 5 y/o, 46 lbs, 44 inches; and 3 y/o, 37 lbs, 40 inches.
We’ll be needing to add the top tether anchors to the vehicle; can someone tell me if there is a retrofit part available for this, and if not, what our other options are for safely tethering the seats to the vehicle?

Also, if we go with the Graco Tranzitions, will that be a good fit for the back bench seat? Is it a problem that the car seats will be much taller than the bench?

I so appreciate any help you all can give, as my kiddos are very eager to ride in the Jeep. Thanks!

ADS

aporthole

A few questions, will this vehicle be necessary for regularly transporting the kids or is it more of a fun, weekend, off-road adventuring kind of situation?

MelodyoftheForest

With lap only belts, the upside is that they usually make for an easy install. Just pull on the belt tail! The Tranzitions can be difficult to install, but may be easier with the lap only belt. The downside is that there isn't anything holding back the top of the seat like a 3-point belt does to some extent.

I did find a bulletin from the manufacturer about top tether retrofits, but it only listed the 2000 Wrangler as eligible. Earlier model years were not listed, so I presume that means there is no longer an official retrofit kit for them. Boo.

EZ-On has given permission in individual cases to use their retrofit kits with car seats, so you could contact them. I would also contact Graco and possibly other manufacturers to see if they have any suggestions or options for you.

Skallen21

With lap only belts, the upside is that they usually make for an easy install. Just pull on the belt tail! The Tranzitions can be difficult to install, but may be easier with the lap only belt. The downside is that there isn't anything holding back the top of the seat like a 3-point belt does to some extent.

I did find a bulletin from the manufacturer about top tether retrofits, but it only listed the 2000 Wrangler as eligible. Earlier model years were not listed, so I presume that means there is no longer an official retrofit kit for them. Boo.

EZ-On has given permission in individual cases to use their retrofit kits with car seats, so you could contact them. I would also contact Graco and possibly other manufacturers to see if they have any suggestions or options for you.
I believe there are shoulder belts; so that’s good. What is EZ-on?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC