Infant seat install no base?

Nimommyof2

Has anyone seen an infant seat that when installed without the base you wrap the shoulder part behind the infant seat? My friend is asking about it, I think if I am understanding her Edie bauer seat says to do that.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There are some seats that allow/instruct you to do that, but I have never heard that an Eddie Bauer seat has the European routing.

Do you know which model it is?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wait... I just did some brief research. The Safety First Designer 22 allowed European routing, and since Eddie Bauer and Safety First are both Dorel, it is possible there was/is an Eddie Bauer seat that also allows it.

Off to research more...

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes - most (all?) Designer 22s allow that 'Euro' routing in Canada. High incompatibility rate with seat belts that aren't long enough. I've always had another way to install it so I've never had to investigate if they allow a more traditional routing if that's the case.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep! I believe it is "highly recommended" by the Designer/its clones. It's recommended if the belt is long enough by the Aton. It's required by the Porsche Baby Seat LATCH.

I love it on my Aton- it gives a solid install really quickly when the belt is long enough. So much easier than the typical baseless install.

tiggercat

Yes - most (all?) Designer 22s allow that 'Euro' routing in Canada. High incompatibility rate with seat belts that aren't long enough. I've always had another way to install it so I've never had to investigate if they allow a more traditional routing if that's the case.

Yes, if the belt is too short you can route it in the traditional way.
I like the euro routing, but every parent who I've demonstrated it to has decided not to install baseless, so I guess it is a bit intimidating.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Yes, if the belt is too short you can route it in the traditional way.
I like the euro routing, but every parent who I've demonstrated it to has decided not to install baseless, so I guess it is a bit intimidating.

Does it indicate that in the manual? I've usually not had a manual and going by the stickers on the side it doesn't give that option.

Usually it's an older seat so subject to both the base separation issue AND quite possibly the handle separation issue. Throw in a too-short seat belt and the parents are nearly crying by the end :(

tiggercat

Does it indicate that in the manual? I've usually not had a manual and going by the stickers on the side it doesn't give that option.

Usually it's an older seat so subject to both the base separation issue AND quite possibly the handle separation issue. Throw in a too-short seat belt and the parents are nearly crying by the end :(

I do believe it says in the manual, but I don't think I have one in my collection to check for you. I'll take a look (can't sleep anyway!).

No luck, that's one seat I don't have. I'll look at the next one I see :)

Also, it is really annoying that Dorel doesn't have the manual online. Get with the program, people!

canadiangie

I have an old Designer 22 manual, should I look?

It's lovely how it shows the lap portion routed behind the seat, with the shoulder portion routed through the belt guides. Slip of the mouse by the graphic designer, I guess. Years ago I brought it up as a possible issue, but was told parents wouldn't likely notice the oversight.

Anyhoo, shall I check?

Eta: wording says to pull on shoulder belt to tighten, and if shoulder belt is long enough secure it behind the shell through the shoulder belt guides on back of seat (two little lips).

The pictures show an option to not do euro belt routing, but instead have the shoulder belt threaded under both belt guides on the CR.

The pictures are really crappy.

It's an 06 manual.

Pixelated

I have an old Designer 22 manual, should I look?

It's lovely how it shows the lap portion routed behind the seat, with the shoulder portion routed through the belt guides. Slip of the mouse by the graphic designer, I guess. Years ago I brought it up as a possible issue, but was told parents wouldn't likely notice the oversight. (?!)

Anyhoo, shall I check?

Yes please!

LittlePeanut

My Designer 22 from 2004/5 allowed the euro routing. I recall my sister doing it for her vehicle when they were told of the possible base/seat separation issue. She's not super car seat savvy but she found it really simple to do (even though she didn't know to lock the belt).

BarbieWD

My Designer 22 (2006 DOM) allowed both routes.... I do believe only one was on the stickers though... but the manual showed both... I think... It was a long time ago in terms of our car seats! lol I remember wrestling in my Gramma's car trying to do the euro(?) route then pulled out the manual and did the straight across route.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC