Incognito is considered a booster seat?

sunflower

My 2 older ones are 5 stepping in the back of the Dodge Caravan, and do not want to use the boosters. I feel that they still need a bit more height. They are the only ones in their class still in something. They aren't 60 lbs. yet, but definitely 50+, and do sit safely.

Do I need to wait until it's in Canada, or is it similar to sitting on a cushion, and I can then purchase it now?

(My sister actually took her driving test while sitting on a cushion in the driver's seat, due to her height. Under 5'.)

Thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's a booster. It's certified to FMVSS. I don't know if it will be coming to Canada or not. I heard maybe, but I also heard your booster standard requires rigid? Although isn't the bubblebum finally going there?

However, if you had a friend in the States ship you one... I doubt anyone would notice it's there! It's designed to be unobtrusive... :whistle:

bubbaray

How old are they? If they truly 5 step, and they are over any minimum age for no booster in your province, I would not personally choose to use a non-Canadian seat.

Mommy!

It's a booster. It's certified to FMVSS. I don't know if it will be coming to Canada or not. I heard maybe, but I also heard your booster standard requires rigid? Although isn't the bubblebum finally going there?

However, if you had a friend in the States ship you one... I doubt anyone would notice it's there! It's designed to be unobtrusive... :whistle:

That...and from a legal perspective, if your kids are past the age/size limit where a booster is legally required, would it still be considered illegal to use a non-Canadian booster? I'm asking this as kind of an out-loud question, don't really know the answer myself. As in, if the law does not require your kids to be in boosters anyways, is it against the law for them to sit on top of a non Canadian approved "booster"?

If someone can shed some light on this I'd be interested in finding out! Not that I'm necessarily advocating you do this, I'm just curious to know more.

sunflower

We are looking for a new minivan, currently looking at the Odyssey 8 passenger, and I don't know how they will fit there. My second son, is the one most annoyed with needing a seat. I do have the Harmony backless now, but one without the arm rest would be easier to use. (I got a cushion for myself that added height at Canadian Tire when we first purchased the Caravan, due to the driver's seat there being lower than most other companies, and I could not see well out the window. I'm 5'2".)

I'll wait till the next car, and see how things are then.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does clek still sell the armless Olli up there? That might be an option.

No, it was discontinued some time ago. And dang, I can't remember what it was called now.

I do know an Incognito was made for introduction into Canada, but I don't know where they are in the testing and if it will make it there. Canada has different requirements regarding foams used and since this is an all-foam seat, it changed things. Dorel never promised anything on it . . .

njkj

May I ask what year caravan is and which row the sit in? I ask because if it is a newer body style I would be worried about any kiddo not in a hbb in the 3rd row. They way the mounted those seat belts so forward of the set it didn't even touch my shoulder in our Town and Country and I am 5'6" tall!

bnsnyde

What modifications are being made to the Incognito?

It's so...simple. I just can't see what might change, lol.

We just bought one for the third row middle of our Odyssey and it's good for my 56" 8-year-old (73 lbs). Honestly, though, it seems just tall enough. Any less and I don't know...the seatbelt is even closer to his neck than I might choose (and I get it pretty close to avoid rolling out). It's way lower of a seat than the Harmony Youth next to it (that the 7 YO uses). Her head ends up taller than his by a bit when they sit back there.

tiggercat

What modifications are being made to the Incognito?

It's so...simple. I just can't see what might change, lol.

We just bought one for the third row middle of our Odyssey and it's good for my 56" 8-year-old (73 lbs). Honestly, though, it seems just tall enough. Any less and I don't know...the seatbelt is even closer to his neck than I might choose (and I get it pretty close to avoid rolling out). It's way lower of a seat than the Harmony Youth next to it (that the 7 YO uses). Her head ends up taller than his by a bit when they sit back there.

I am not privy to that information. I assume whatever they have to to do to make it pass our standards.

I did see some crash testing of the bubblebum and it was pretty shocking.

ETA, I'd be surprised if a 50-60lb kid 5 stepped in the 3rd row of any Caravan. My tall 9yo/75lb daughter is nearly 5 stepping in the capt chairs but not even close in the 3rd row.

thepote

I am not privy to that information. I assume whatever they have to to do to make it pass our standards. I did see some crash testing of the bubblebum and it was pretty shocking. ETA, I'd be surprised if a 50-60lb kid 5 stepped in the 3rd row of any Caravan. My tall 9yo/75lb daughter is nearly 5 stepping in the capt chairs but not even close in the 3rd row.

Curious, what was shocking about the bubblebum crash test?

thepote

Now that I looked back, it was a series of photos from different points along the test, not an actual video. I'm asking permission to share the paper. I had been considering acquiring a bubblebum, but have since changed my mind.

Well that sounds interesting. Thanks.

tiggercat

Lets see if that uploaded. FTR, I am NOT saying the Bubblebum is not safe, nor am I comparing it to the other inflatable booster they also tested. I just didn't love the crash dynamics in the photos. It wasn't at all what I expected/am comfortable with.

Oops, didn't work. How can I share a 6MB file?

sunflower

Whoops! I relied on my DH's word who was convinced they were big enough!! When I checked them today though... In the second row, they're fine. In the third row, my oldest is just about touching the floor. My second isn't.

We need a new car ASAP. We need to fix a dent in the passenger side door, and can then hopefully sell. We have a friend who's selling his Odyssey 8 passenger, and we would really like it, but have to get rid of this one first. With child #6, coming at the end of the summer, the bigger car is serious. (He fixed the recalls they had.)

Thanks again for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Lets see if that uploaded. FTR, I am NOT saying the Bubblebum is not safe, nor am I comparing it to the other inflatable booster they also tested. I just didn't love the crash dynamics in the photos. It wasn't at all what I expected/am comfortable with.

Oops, didn't work. How can I share a 6MB file?

What kind of file is it?

bnsnyde

8 passenger Odyssey all the way, lol!
We have #6 coming, too. Even with the 8 seats it was difficult to decide who goes where. I would have liked 12 seats (and there is some sibling fighting). But we fit.

Seriously, if Incognito did not exist, we would be in trouble!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC