If I loved the original roundabout, will I love the coccoro?

abigaylebelle

I'm looking for a compact convertible to replace an expiring seat. I have other large rf convertibles but I was hoping to free up a little real estate in my honda fit for the next year or so.

Anyone put a coccoro in a fit? Other thoughts on the coccoro?

My 20lb/29" 18 month old with a really short torso would be the occupant.

ADS

henrietta

I'm looking for a compact convertible to replace an expiring seat. I have other large rf convertibles but I was hoping to free up a little real estate in my honda fit for the next year or so.

Anyone put a coccoro in a fit? Other thoughts on the coccoro?

My 20lb/29" 18 month old with a really short torso would be the occupant.

Well...the install is different from the RA for sure. It's an open belt path for a rear facing install, and I think it's generally more difficult to install than any Britax. That doesn't mean I think you won't get it, just that I think it's a bit tougher than many other seats for a rear facing install. Once you get it, you'll be fine. Just a bit more of a learning curve. For your child, it sounds like a good choice, esp since you aren't expecting it to be your forever seat. My 5 month old fits in hers beautifully with plenty of room to grow. She's about 15 lbs, on the second from the bottom harness slots, still uses the infant insert (keep it in until baby is 25 lbs OR shoulders go over the top slots-then remove it, and keep using the seat), and is quite comfy.

I like that it's micro...I can see over it easily...it's light weight for when I move it...it tethers rear facing...and you can install it w/the shoulder belt routed around the back to reduce the seat's rotation back & down in a crash. I absolutely love how easy it is to buckle it and to adjust the harness.

As to how it installs in the Fit, I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that b/c of the open belt path and the tiny size of the seat, the seat belt will retract far enough to not lock and/OR you won't have enough seat belt to do the alternative routing around the back of the seat...that can take some work to figure out! LOL

hths

jwilliams

I have installed the Coccoro in a small Honda (2011 Insight) using LATCH and the belt (both lap and shoulder and lap portion only). I prefer installing with the belt.

I also prefer installing the seat outboard. The female end of the buckle for the center seat is slightly raised from the bight and has to be twisted so that it doesn't butt up against the belt path.

Having said that, after some practice, the seat is a pretty easy install in my car. I like the open belt path - it doesn't kill my knuckles like the Radian. Also, the whole being tiny and light thing makes it much easier to maneuver in a small backseat.

I love how tiny the seat is. No one has to have their knees in the dash :) I have two in the car (plus a Radian) - they will last through the end of my lease, and then I'll buy bigger RF seats for the new car. My girls are about 31", 23lb, and almost 2y old. They have a few inches above their heads. I am pretty sure they'll hit the 1" rule before the 36" limit, but they carry more of their height in their torsos than their legs.

It's still easy to load and unload them, and I actually really like the puzzle buckle. The harness is easy to tighten.

*posted using the car-seat.org app*

cookie123

It's a great little seat if you can get a good install. I was never comfortable with the install in my Prius so I sold it. I wish it wasn't round on the bottom! Another smaller seat that you could consider is the Eddie Bauer XRS65.

CourtneyL

I had our coccoro RF in a 2013 Fit until DD outgrew it recently. It fit nicely on the passenger side with latch. It fits in the middle with the seatbelt, but the euro belt path and the seatbelt coming from the ceiling made the drivers side seat mostly unusable. I have a picture somewhere of how the CCO fits. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: I found a picture of when I tried a 3-across with CCOs: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2462982&postcount=761.

Once the CCO was outgrown I switched to the Peg convertible, and at a more upright angle, it takes up about the same amount of front to back space as the CCO

Last edited:

henrietta

Thank you for that review, that is helpful. Have you tried installing with latch? Is it any easier than the seatbelt?

I think it can be, but it's not as easy as some (like a Britax).

I also agree that I wish it didn't have a rounded bottom. I expected the puzzle buckle to really annoy me, but it doesn't bother me at all.

meljc

I had our coccoro RF in a 2013 Fit until DD outgrew it recently. It fit nicely on the passenger side with latch. It fits in the middle with the seatbelt, but the euro belt path and the seatbelt coming from the ceiling made the drivers side seat mostly unusable. I have a picture somewhere of how the CCO fits. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: I found a picture of when I tried a 3-across with CCOs: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2462982&postcount=761.

Once the CCO was outgrown I switched to the Peg convertible, and at a more upright angle, it takes up about the same amount of front to back space as the CCO

Not to hijack... but do do you lock the belts when doing Euro?

oakster

We have a Coccoro that was recently installed in a friend's Fit to check the fit. It worked and they now have a three-across with a Coccoro and two Radians with no issues (apart from normal challenges of a three-across in a small car!) I find both seatbelt and LATCH installs pretty easy in most cars we've used it in (including a Prius--had no problems with that, so might depend on specific placement of seat, since we usually do center installs), but prefer seatbelt because you can do the European routing. My son is just about to outgrow it at 30 months/28 pounds/35 inches (RFing height limit is 36", although he's also flirting with the one-inch limit so I suspect will hit both at once). Our other seat is a Britax Marathon (new version) and I find the seatbelt installs comparable; Britax is a bit easier with LATCH but negligible difference. Not sure how new and classic Britax seats compare, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC