Identify seat please

Angela

My sister was asking some advice on a car seat. She said she has a Graco that is just forward facing, it's probably about 8 years old or so, and it's a combo seat. She said it has LATCH and was curious if she could use it in booster mode. I looked on the pictorial but didn't see anything. I know this picture doesn't show much of it (and yes she said it was fine if I posted it), but any ideas what it is?

Last edited:
ADS

christineka

Can't see the pic, but I'd guess Graco Cargo. I had one that expired Dec 2008. It didn't have latch. I know the cargo can be latched in booster mode, though.

christineka

Okay, I can see it now. Sure it isn't a graco-century seat? It doesn't quite look like the cargo, but maybe it's just the picture.

Evolily

Graco Cargo, my only issue is I'm not seeing any belt guides?

http://carseatblog.com/?p=995

ETA- are you sure it's a combo seat? The pattern looks too much like this scenera http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/b4/85/8e/30053969-260x260-0-0_Cosco+Scenera+Versa+Fit+22145.jpg for my comfort. The more I look at it, the more I think the pattern looks more like the scenera than it does the cargo- you can see the tapering angle with the contrasting fabric- this is something you usually see in the scenera, NOT the cargo.

Angela

Graco Cargo, my only issue is I'm not seeing any belt guides?

http://carseatblog.com/?p=995

ETA- are you sure it's a combo seat? The pattern looks too much like this scenera http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/b4/85/8e/30053969-260x260-0-0_Cosco+Scenera+Versa+Fit+22145.jpg for my comfort. The more I look at it, the more I think the pattern looks more like the scenera than it does the cargo- you can see the tapering angle with the contrasting fabric- this is something you usually see in the scenera, NOT the cargo.

That was my thought. I was looking through my manuals and see that most of the Cargo's have belt guides. I thought it was weird that I didn't see any on this one. Knowing my sis (and her obvious misuses) I wouldn't put it past her. Any other ideas? I hate to have to break the news to her that it's not actually supposed to be used as a booster.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
It's possible the belt guides have been cut off. I debating doing it to mine (wouldn't have ever used it as a booster...but never did...sold the seat to my boss). And mine was that coloring...grey in the middle, black on the sides.

Evolily

"Hey sis,

I saw the picture of DS in his booster. It looks like the booster you have isn't doing its job- it is suppose to keep the belt low on the thighs, and I can see it's over his tummy. This can cause seatbelt syndrome *link to graphic pictures*. It must be a defective seat and should be destroyed.

If you tell me about what your budget is I can give you some suggestions for a new seat for DS.

Sincerely,
Loving Sister"

I wouldn't argue with her about what the seat is or isn't. I'd honestly be happy if she moved him to a $13.50 harmony backless at walmart.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Besides that, if it is 8 years old, it is most definitely expired and should not be used in any mode.

Angela

So are we thinking it's a cargo with the belt guide cut off? I agree with everything everyone has said. They don't have much of a budget, if any, and I know she doesn't care much about the seats her kids are in (DS-9, just seatbelt, DD#1-5, nbb, and DD#2-3 pictured). She even said she thought this one was expired. I think I might just send her a gc to Wal-mart and tell her what to buy. Not sure if she'd actually do it, but it's worth a try. Any suggestions? She said she's too tall for the harness in whatever this seat is and weighs 42 lbs.

Evolily

Who cuts off the belt guides, though :confused: . I mean, I know KaysKidz did knowing it's an icky booster, but I'm not seeing an average joe on the street cutting them off.

And that said, I still am not seeing a cargo in this picture.

4boysmom

I don't think it is a combo seat. To me it looks like the seatbelt is hovering over her legs and that is why it is "on her belly". The shell side appear higher than the childs legs.

christineka

Maybe it's a comfortsport? The cargo has really tall belt guides (17 inches), that child doesn't look that tall torsoed, and I don't see any belt guides in the picture.

skitle1802

Its not a CarGo. The lap belt path for a CarGo is cut all the way down to the seat. The way the lap belt path is molded, it looks more like the Cosco High Back Booster (the one with the harness) but the top doesn't look pointy enough. The old Cosco High Backs didn't have molded belt guides, they were like plastic combs that looped through webbing sewn to the cover (which would explain no belt guides).

monstah

There are a couple seats I think it might be but none of them are Graco. My first guess is a Scenera. It's shocking how bad the fit is. :(

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
um..i honestly do NOT think that is a combo seat. It looks like a convertible seat "in booster mode" which means she took a convertible seat and instead of installing it, simply wrapped the seatbelt over it. That's....appalling.

babyherder

Send her a booster. If you can afford a gc I'd just send the booster. A highback (maybe TB) if you can afford it or a backless if you can't. Either way kiddo is safer than in that seat!

And teach kiddo to lean the other way to sleep. That way, at least she is leaning into the belt instead of out of it. Even if the belt fit isn't perfect its got to be better, right?

TerisBoys

Graco/Century Accel had covers like that too.

If you can afford it, I'd send her a Maestro/money for one. That way her DD can be harnessed a bit longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC