I shouldn't have watched all those crash test videos...

todzwife

I had nightmares all night.

DS is 8 1/2 and is in a Parkway in the captains chair (second row) of our Sienna

DD is 6 1/2 and is in a Frontier 85 in the third row outboard passenger *not tethered because there isn't a tether there*

DD2 is 27 months and is RFing in a Complete Air in the Drivers side captains chair (second row).

Is there ANYTHING that you would change to keep them safER or am I doing the best I can? I wish our Target had the clearance MyRides, I'd get one for both girls and put DS back in the Frontier.:eek:

Last edited:
ADS

bnsnyde

Well, you're doing better than probably 99.9% of people out there!

Wow, the child in the center in the Frontier...that's awesome! And the little one still RF, great! And a child over 8 in a booster still!

I thought the Myride was outgrown fairly quickly?? I like it more than ever, but not sure how long it'd last. My kids are needing Radians not too long after birth to stay RF. :) Well, OK, not quite right away.

If you want to be really obsessive (and it's not a bad thing, we all love our carseats!) you might look into a booster for the oldest with more protection around the head and torso. The Parkway depth by the head/torso didn't seem like a lot to me. Doesn't the new Turbo have more? Not sure what the 8.5-year-old fits in, of course, or what's compatible with your vehicle. Monterrey maybe? Something heavily structured and with as much head support as possible. I am only suggesting those because you asked. There is nothing wrong with your set up. :)

todzwife

Well the center rear didn't work. Not that I couldn't install it there but I can't see out the back. :( Rats. And unfortunately there is no tether in that spot. I would move her to the captains chair, but I she makes my toddler scream.

I know I'm doing better than most out there but if there was something I COULD have done to protect them in a crash, and I didn't, I would NEVER forgive myself.

I do have a Radian 80 w/ angle adjuster but there is nowhere to tether it RFing in my van unless I move her to the third row, so I don't know that it offers any "more" protection for my youngest than the CA does. Plus, the CA just seems SO comfortable.

I make super tiny kids. DS is only 56 pounds, 55 inches, DD1 is only 47 pounds 48 inches and DD2 is only 24 pounds 32 inches. Thankfully we've got LOADS of room in all the seats.

Would it be better for DD1 to ride in the Radian center (which I have done before) tethered, and see if DS wants to ride in the Frontier in the captains chair (tethered)? I don't know that he'll go for it since he's been in a booster for slmost 2 years...We have a super long road trip coming up and I'm more worried than normal.

bnsnyde

What about a RF seat in the center back for the little one? That would place his head toward the center of the vehicle (and he'd be in the center!), and leave the middle row for your two FF who will benefit from the safety of the middle row.

We have a kid in back and he half-climbs/half gets pushed into the seat by me. Not super easy but I feel it's worth it. And since it's RF it's not too hard to buckle him in.

I too am crazy about not being able to see, so I can't really blame you for not keeping the other seat in back. I don't drive with mirrors. I look and if I don't have 360 visibility, I hate that. Now, with the van I am learning to use mirrors as I have no choice but I won't do expressways unless I HAVE to. I bought a giant wide mirror to clip on my rear-view mirror, and I stuck blind spots mirrors on my side mirrors. All that helps.

MommyShannon

What year is your van? Does it have side curtain airbags? If it does, I'd watch some crash tests for your van. I feel ok about DD and DS being outboard 3rd row b/c of the air bags. Its an Ody and there are tethers though.

todzwife

What year is your van? Does it have side curtain airbags? If it does, I'd watch some crash tests for your van. I feel ok about DD and DS being outboard 3rd row b/c of the air bags. Its an Ody and there are tethers though.

It's a 2012 and has side curtain airbags, yes. The crash tests did well, except for the female passenger, which is me...I think *I* would be safer sitting in the back.:eek:

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
A 2012 ought to have at least one tether anchor in the 3rd row. You're sure there isn't one? Or did I mis-read something. If you can I'd put the 3rd row rider, whichever one that is, in the middle of the 3rd row. Can the booster rider go there? Or the rear-facer?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it much. Those videos were so theoretical. Emotional and awful yes, but without knowing what you're seeing and what injuries the dummies sustained you can not take them at face value.

todzwife

A 2012 ought to have at least one tether anchor in the 3rd row. You're sure there isn't one? Or did I mis-read something. If you can I'd put the 3rd row rider, whichever one that is, in the middle of the 3rd row. Can the booster rider go there? Or the rear-facer?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it much. Those videos were so theoretical. Emotional and awful yes, but without knowing what you're seeing and what injuries the dummies sustained you can not take them at face value.

Toyota dropped the ball on the top tethers there are only 3 in the van. The 2 captains chairs and the center of the back.

The booster rider COULD go in the center back, but it poses the same problem as the Frontier. The parkway is TALL and I can't see around it. I'm really short and it's panic inducing not to be able to see out that spot. The van has enough blind spots as it is. I COULD put the Rear-facer in the back but I have a really bad back and getting her in and out that way could cause it to pinch. If I put her in the back, she would have to be forward facing, which I can't do yet...she's just too little/young.

luckyclov

I have my fully extended PW in the center of the third row for my 9.5 year old. I'm only 5'2"...I don't have an issue with the rear visibility? I've learned to figure out a system and rely on my side view and back up camera whenever possible.

I've seen the videos. They are what they are. I've still got kids outboard, one in a FR85 and the other in RF Radian and I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

bubbaray

Learn to use your mirrors. Put the FR center 3rd row. I can drive DHs big truck with 3 tall boosters in it. You can do it!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Learn to use your mirrors. Put the FR center 3rd row. I can drive DHs big truck with 3 tall boosters in it. You can do it!

:yeahthatlove:

really, at some point you might not have a choice. my stepsons are now 15, 16 and 19, and all about 6 ft tall. They sit across my vans back row, and literally, their heads touch the ceiling. Absolutely zero visibility. you get used to it, I promise. Its like there simply isn't a back window, you use your side mirrors And I'm 5 ft even.

skaterbabs

really, at some point you might not have a choice. my stepsons are now 15, 16 and 19, and all about 6 ft tall. They sit across my vans back row, and literally, their heads touch the ceiling. Absolutely zero visibility. you get used to it, I promise. Its like there simply isn't a back window, you use your side mirrors And I'm 5 ft even.

What she said. Eventually, you won't be able to see anyway due to teenagers' heads in the way! :p Mine are 14 and 16, and I can tell you - their parents were NOT glassmakers! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC