I need some advice about a car seat, please!

STfizz73

Good evening! :) I thought of you lovely ladies when I came across this problem. I recently got a job and now need not one but two new car seat. (sigh) I currently have an Even Flo Triumph Advance LX (Oh Pattern). I really love it. Here's the problem. It's going to cost a lot of money to buy two new car seats. :( I thought about going used because I know someone that has a MyRide 65. In great condition and never been in an accident. Here's the issue. It's from 2010 and I read a thread on here about not one but TWO people (including a 3rd on a different site) that say the screws are getting stripped. I also read that Graco MyRides are really hard to get the straps tight on a kid rear facing. Do you think I should just suck it up and get two brand new car seats or go with a used one? She's selling it for $50...that seems very reasonable to me! She bought it in 2010. Thank you all! :D

ADS

babyherder

Its recommended to only get a used car seat if you trust the person selling with your child's life. Do you know this person well enough to know they will tell you the truth about their car seat?

I have a myride and its very easy to tighten rear facing. The first time I used it I thought it was hard to tighten. I kept tugging and it felt like nothing was happening but when I checked the straps they were already tight enough! It was so easy to tighten I didn't even notice I was doing it! I've never heard of the screw issue so I don't know about that.

How old is your child? Weight and height?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Do you trust the person with the life of your child? I have a 2010, and have had no issues. I only use if rear facing.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And keep in mind that with used car seats, it's not just intent that counts. You may be pretty sure that she would never intentionally put your child in harm's way. Are you equally sure that she never checked it on an airplane, never put the harness through the washer, never Clorox-wiped a nasty spill, etc.?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
What is your child's age and size? There are some very decent seats that you can buy brand-new in the $50-$80 range these days.

STfizz73

Oh argh...I don't know how to copy quotes. The lady who had the issue with the Graco Myride 65 (2010) used this site. I think her name is LukesMom something. I did a search of Graco Myride 65 and it came up. As far as knowing the person...no, I don't know her personally. I put out an ISO on our local yard sale site and she wrote me back. We do have mutual friends. I do know it hasn't been taken on a plane. I don't know if she's ever washed the straps, used bleach, etc.... My child is 34 inches and around 28-30 pounds. I still keep her rear-facing! :D

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Imo, it's only really important to have a nice, cushy seat for long distance traveling. For day to day, a Scenera is safe and just fine for to/from daycare, school, library, groceries, etc.

If you can easily afford 3 Evenflos, great. If not, then I agree with the advice to buy 2 less expensive seats if you really need 2 more and put the Evenflo in whatever car you're in when you're traveling.

STfizz73

Scenera
RF Weight Range: 5-35 lbs.
RF Height Range: 19-36 in.
FF Weight Range: 22-40lbs
FF Height Range: 34-43 in.
FF Age Range: 1 year and older

Scenera 40RF
RF Weight Range: 5-40 lbs.
RF Height Range: 19-40 in.
FF Weight Range: 22-40lbs
FF Height Range: 34-43 in.
FF Age Range: 1 year and older

I looked at the Scenera but it only goes up to 36 inches RF..that leaves 2 inches. :(

Brianna

The Guide 65 is more expensive than the Scenera but will last longer.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Brianna

It's the Safety 1st Guide 65, it happens to share a 65 pound forward facing harness limit with the Graco MyRide 65 and some other seats as well. You can find measurements and a shopping link in the measurements forum you found the Scenera info in.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC