I need better tires for my Ody.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
We've been leasing an '06 Ody, and it's not doing well in the snow at all. It never occurred to me that it could be the tires that are the problem! Hubby's '96 Corolla has fewer issues than my Ody does. Our lease is up this coming fall, and I'm not sure whether we're going to buy this van or not. Supposedly when Hubby took it in for its last oil change (December?) they said there was plenty of tread left on the tires, but I simply cannot continue to drive them in the snow & ice. I'm going to end up stuck or, worse, crashed(!) with my kids!

What do I do? Get "real" winter tires to use until spring, then put the current tires back on for the summer? If we trade up in the fall, I can put the new winter tires on the new van, right?

Or, do I get a better all season tire? That's what I was planning to do until I read some of the previous posts on this topic. I hate spending hundreds of dollars on a car that I may not be keeping for even a whole year, but I hate driving a car that's not safe even more.

ADS

emars002

When my dad gave us his carvan it had really good all season tires it - I believe his were aquatreads - they have always used the van in the snow in CT and never had a problem. I put cheaper tires on it down here in GA but I think a good all season tire would be fine. He never had "winter" and "summer" tires - that would have been too much of a pain

exegesis48

If you have a Discount Tire nearby I highly recommend speaking to them. They are very helpful and they don't work on commission, so they are less likely to try and pressure you into buying something you don't need. I'm not an expert on tires by any means, but I have had wonderful experiences with Discount Tire in the past.

They do free Air Checks as well, even if you've never bought tires from them. Just call them up and tell them your situation, they will make the best recommendation.

Michael9

Maybe a Sears then? If I were in your situation, I just would not drive in snow/ice during the last few weeks of winter. For next winter, and when you have your new car or know that you will by keeping the van, you might consider winter tires (the ones with that snowflake imposed over a mountain) as a good investment. In some states, they are required by law during snowy weather. My understanding is that "all season" tires are not good for snow and ice despite the title which seems to suggest otherwise.

UlrikeDG

Maybe a Sears then? If I were in your situation, I just would not drive in snow/ice during the last few weeks of winter.

Spoken by a true Southerner. I'm in IOWA. This is turning into a record-breaking winter. We've had snow on the ground since December. It's been snowing at least once a week. I have 4 kids who have "extra curricular" activities at least four days a week (dance, art & library, fencing x2, gymnastics x2), not to mention all the regular errands (like grocery shopping). Sure, when the driving is really bad, classes are canceled, but my tires aren't able to handle even small amounts of snow. I got stuck in my friend's mostly-clear, not-very-steep driveway last week! Winter here won't be over for another 4-8 weeks. Snow this year has been so persistent that the roads are never 100% clear before the next storm hits.

Trust me, I thought about just trying to make it until spring on these tires, but staying home isn't an option, and I'm afraid that we could get stuck or struck if we continue to drive on the ones we have.

New grandma

I replaced the factory tires on my HHR with all weather ones after about 2 months of winter driving. I noticed an immediate difference. I have an uphill, windy driveway and was having trouble getting up it with even an inch or two of snow. They also help in rainy weather.

ontariomama

We had all weather tires on our Grand Caravan when we bought it (it was used.. but the tires were new). They were fine for the first winter but a disaster for the second. We bought snow tires and it's been great. Seriously a huge difference. My DH was sceptical at first and is now a convert. We'll always have them. They've been good for 2 seasons now. I would go for snow tires if you tend to get snowy winters. :twocents:

lovinwaves

Ulrike, I just got done researching tires for the Ody. What size are yours for your '06? Just curious if they are the same as mine.

Here are my rec's.

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred (harder side wall, best in snow, rain, etc..., more expensive, very very nice tire, can be a bit nosier than other tires, can only be rotated from to back)

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (just bought these the other day LOVE THEM, they are performing perfectly on the snow. HUGE difference from before using my OEM tires that were really worn at 52K, comfortable quiet tire, softer side walls (will take a bit getting used too if you are very 'in touch' with your van's handling, will last a long time, heard they get quieter over time)

Ok, there are other tires, but I will come back and post when I have more time.

We just had over 7inches of snow, and the Comfortreds did perfectly. My ESC never really came on to be honest...I'm definitely not used to that, so yeah, I'd say the tires did great!

bubbaray

I have an Ody and last year switched out to Toyo Versados. They are pretty good. I was going to get snow tires, but DH checked and my Versados are M+S rated. They are pretty good in the rain here, MUCH better than the POS Michelins that the Ody's come with.

Your options are pretty limited b/c the Odys are a weird size -- IIRC its 235/65 R 16.

A former co-worker has Blizzaks for his Ody and raves about them. Not sure what he uses in other seasons.

UlrikeDG

Ulrike, I just got done researching tires for the Ody. What size are yours for your '06? Just curious if they are the same as mine.

HUGE difference from before using my OEM tires that were really worn at 52K, comfortable quiet tire, softer side walls (will take a bit getting used too if you are very 'in touch' with your van's handling, will last a long time, heard they get quieter over time)

'06 Ody uses 235/65R16.

My OEM tires are Bridgestones with less than 26K on them, and they were causing us problems over a year ago. I just never realized that the problem was the TIRES. In retrospect, I'm wondering how I could be so oblivious (we had trouble getting up on ramps last January, and no one else was having any difficulty), but I never made the connection.

HEVY

We just got these, Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. They are great. I have a Windstar and never thought anything would help it in the snow and ice. I was able to drive through a foot of snow with these, hard packed snow/ice and slush. These tires really work and as far as I can tell by my researching they are rated #1.
Winterforces are suppposedly really good as well but are new.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...utoMake=Honda&autoYear=2006&autoModel=Odyssey

birdflippin'

Definitely go for the winter tires. Get rims too for easy changing at home to save the cost of switching them back and forth 2 times a year. If you get the same van just newer they should fit. If you get a different vehicle, you can always sell them on craigslist or eBay. Winter tires on rimes sell realy wel in fall.
All season tires loose grip in 44F and lower, as a Canadian that is drilled into our brains every fall:rolleyes:

celtic1885

Here are my rec's.

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred (harder side wall, best in snow, rain, etc..., more expensive, very very nice tire, can be a bit nosier than other tires, can only be rotated from to back)

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (just bought these the other day LOVE THEM, they are performing perfectly on the snow. HUGE difference from before using my OEM tires that were really worn at 52K, comfortable quiet tire, softer side walls (will take a bit getting used too if you are very 'in touch' with your van's handling, will last a long time, heard they get quieter over time)

Hey Lovin' - are the Goodyear tires winter only or are they all season? I'd say we don't get a lot of snow here but we've had 15" since December :eek:
We do get lots of rain though. Hate the tires from the dealership. :(

lovinwaves

Hey Lovin' - are the Goodyear tires winter only or are they all season? I'd say we don't get a lot of snow here but we've had 15" since December :eek:
We do get lots of rain though. Hate the tires from the dealership. :(

All season. :) You have an Ody too?

fyi: dh didn't get that job.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC