I know my 3yo is safe FF, but pls convince me!

MarathonMama

I know we get a lot of these posts around here ... and I knew I would eventually post the same question one day, but I need some reassurance!

My YDD just turned 3 and is RF in her XTSL (stats are in my siggy for all 3). My goal was to RF her until at least 3yo, but my ODD is in a TB and she really isn't ready for full time boostering so I want to switch her back to her RN. She almost always has short trips in her booster and is ok but needs reminders to sit properly. Longer rides are a nightmare, but thankfully they're rare! The problem is that in order to switch her back to her RN I have to turn YDD FF or they won't fit in the car (believe me, I've tried). As well, to have 3yo FF and 5.5yo harnessed means I will have to have a 3 across. Currently our 5.5yo sits in her TB in the third row but no RF or FF seats can go back there (Rondo).

Please reassure me I'm not going to have breakdown wondering about the 'what ifs'!

Our previous 3 across was a nightmare and the biggest part of the reason we put ODD in a TB in the third row!!!! :eek:

ADS

Chely7425

I just turned my 3 yo ff, we have a tight 3 across and he was getting uncomfortable and I was just fed up with the whole situation :) She will be very safe in a properly installed and used FF seat!!

amyd

Why can't you put any harnessed seats in the third row?

I expect there's no room for a RFing seat and the Rondo has no tether anchors in the 3rd row. We looked at it before we bought our Mazda 5. The no tether anchor bit ruled it out for us.

the interior of the rondo looks a lot like the interior of my sorento, I can not put a rear facing seat back there at all, no way any would fit in that third row, nor can I install a forward facing car seat because the third row does not have tether hooks, Julianna is back there in her vivo, and sometimes when Fiona rides in her vivo she joins her sister back there... just depends, but yea that third row is useless if you need to actually install a car seat.

MarathonMama

I expect there's no room for a RFing seat and the Rondo has no tether anchors in the 3rd row. We looked at it before we bought our Mazda 5. The no tether anchor bit ruled it out for us.

Yeah, it stinks!

Ideally we would have a van and I could keep my 3yo RF, but unfortunately we don't :(

I just hate being forced to switch her before I want/am ready, but I have to keep my 5yo safe too and she's just not ready for full time boostering.

andre149

I hear ya on the "thinking 3 is your ok point then second guessing"... I was there too (luckily the situation allowed me to keep her rf). Think of it this way though: your 5yo is MUCH safer in a harnessed seat (since she's not sitting properly in a booster) compared to a 3yo ff. It's so hard to turn them, but at 3yo she is perfectly safe FF, whereas the 5yo no sitting properly in a booster is absolutely not safe. hth :)

MarathonMama

I hear ya on the "thinking 3 is your ok point then second guessing"... I was there too (luckily the situation allowed me to keep her rf). Think of it this way though: your 5yo is MUCH safer in a harnessed seat (since she's not sitting properly in a booster) compared to a 3yo ff. It's so hard to turn them, but at 3yo she is perfectly safe FF, whereas the 5yo no sitting properly in a booster is absolutely not safe. hth :)

You're right, my 5yo would be safer harnessed at this point if she won't sit properly 100% of the time, I'm just DREADING a 3 across!!!! We had to use babylegs for my 5yo arms to stop my (then) 2yo from clawing her sisters arms - and don't even get me started on the face kicking :eek: I'm hoping and praying I can fit my 5yo centre to keep the 3yo outboard and away from my 1yo!

Ugh, I just wish I wasn't in this situation! If we had a van I would have my 3yo RF and the 5yo in a Frontier so I'm hoping she still fits in the RN or we're in trouble (she should though)!

* to be honest, I kind of like having the 3yo RF just so people ask me and I tell them why! Tee hee*

Pixels

A forward facing child is no less safe in an untethered seat than they are in a booster. Head excursion limits are the same. If you're comfortable with her in the third row in a booster, then lack of tether anchors should not deter you from putting her in the third row. Since it sounds like three across really doesn't work with your kids, I would definitely be putting someone in the third row.

ElaynesMom

A forward facing child is no less safe in an untethered seat than they are in a booster. Head excursion limits are the same. If you're comfortable with her in the third row in a booster, then lack of tether anchors should not deter you from putting her in the third row. Since it sounds like three across really doesn't work with your kids, I would definitely be putting someone in the third row.

The OP appears to be from Canada, where top tethers are required by law for forward facing seats.

Kat_Momof3

you got past age 2... that's hard enough... and you're doing it to make everyone in the car safe... because if the oldest isn't behaving in his booster, he's not safe, but neither will the adults, because they'll be distracted arguing with him to cut it out and behave.

And a distracted driver is not safe, but neither is a distracted passenger seat rider who is turning around to make sure the kid is doing what he's supposed to.

if it were a 1 or even 2yr old... I'd urge you to buy an inexpensive seat to keep rearfacing... but a 3yr old... you've done a wonderful job and it's fine to forward face.

bnsnyde

We had three across in our old car. I actually found it super easy as we had two FF harnessed kids and a baby bucket (later a convertible RF). There was some hitting, though. And one of the harnessed kids should have been RF because she was not yet 2 (though we owned some RF to 30 lb. seats which these days wouldn't cut it!) Anyway...I learned a lot from this forum!

So then when we got the van I decided to see if I could RF to the max for all. And maybe it's b/c there are 4 kids now, but loading is not easy, LOL! Though I suppose it's doable.

I had the 3-year-old FF and she did everything herself. Then I switched her RF and she has to climb into the RF seat, and now needs some help with buckles. Makes it more difficult? Yes. But she won't be RF for too much longer the way she is growing, even once I get the XTSL. And then we'll need it for her baby brother who is huge and gaining on her! There is a 5 lb. difference between them. 30 and 35!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC