I hate my Radian. Will the AA help?

Mae

I've had my Radian (XTSL) in storage for ... a long time. Two years? I hate it. It doesn't install well, and the worst part ... I can't find my non-SL LATCH straps now! That was HOW I was so confident in it before! The SL straps suck and I can't get a tight install.

Can I buy pre-SL LATCH straps from Diono? I doubt it. Ugh!

Will the AA help?

I feel like I can't get it installed tightly and it's so reclined. It's for an almost 3yo.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
They did improve the SL straps, and if you call because of a problem with yours, they'll send you a new one. The new ones aren't nearly so slippy.

The AA will make the seat more upright. Not sure it will do anything beyond that.

mrosehughes

I find that an AA makes a big difference on the install in my Prius, because it changes the belt path slightly, so I'd definitely give it a shot. Have you tried a seatbelt install? You could always try a thick phone book in place of the AA before you buy one, to see if it helps (then of course you'll need to buy an AA before you use the seat).

Mae

They did improve the SL straps, and if you call because of a problem with yours, they'll send you a new one. The new ones aren't nearly so slippy.

Oh, really? I think it's because the strap adjuster lands right by the belt path. The older style strap was a different length (if that makes sense...) and it didn't land right there. Sigh.

How much are the AAs?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Oh, really? I think it's because the strap adjuster lands right by the belt path. The older style strap was a different length (if that makes sense...) and it didn't land right there. Sigh.

How much are the AAs?

About $12 or so - well worth the gamble if it makes the seat work for you. I find the AA helps immensely, and changes the geometry for the belt.

creideamh

I still hated mine, even with the AA ;) Maybe it'll change your mind, though... definitely worth a shot.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
M is NOT almost three. There's no way.

I'm sorry you don't like your Radian. I sold my RXT and miss it. I hope the AA helps!

EmmaGrace'sMom

I find that an AA makes a big difference on the install in my Prius, because it changes the belt path slightly, so I'd definitely give it a shot. Have you tried a seatbelt install? You could always try a thick phone book in place of the AA before you buy one, to see if it helps (then of course you'll need to buy an AA before you use the seat).
Ditto, the AA made a big difference in ease of install for me. Try a thick phone book or a couple towels to see if it changes the angle enough for you.

I also found I got the best install with a locking clip. I would buckle then tighten, (without the AA) add the locking clip, re-buckle, then wedge the AA in. That gave me a tight install that didn't tip!

Mae

M is NOT almost three. There's no way.

Crazy, ay? Three in May! :eek:

I wonder if any local Phoenix gals have the AA that I can try before I buy. Hm. You all say a phone book or so will do, too? (Of course just for testing, not actual using!)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes - I used a phone book for demonstrative purchases (as you say - NOT for real use) and it gave a pretty decent approximation. The AA squishes a bit more, but it's close!

Mae

Meeting up with msg on Sunday to see if it'll help!! :) She has one (actually, two).

soph's mom

How this is the angle adjuster when installed? I want to try the book trick to see about how much room I will gain... About 2 inches?

ETA: that was supposed to be "how tall is..."

Last edited:

Mae

Just an update -- the AA fixed my problem! I might love my Radian again. ;) :D

I can use my SuperLATCH, woohoo! Good thing, because I broke my seatbelt. Sigh. I have no usable seatbelts in the back now. I have locking latchplates and the plastic part of the latchplate broke off (on both seatbelts!). :( I'm going to be in trouble when the LATCH limit is reached!

soph's mom

What type of car do you have? Some manufacturers have lifetime warranties on seatbelts even though they don't like to admit it and it may take some arguing to get them replaced...

Mae

What type of car do you have? Some manufacturers have lifetime warranties on seatbelts even though they don't like to admit it and it may take some arguing to get them replaced...

Oh, I missed this!

Pontiac Grand Am. I called them and they said $92 for the part, $100 for labor. I was also told that domestic cars usually have a lifetime warranty, but foreign cars usually do not.

soph's mom

Oh, I missed this!

Pontiac Grand Am. I called them and they said $92 for the part, $100 for labor. I was also told that domestic cars usually have a lifetime warranty, but foreign cars usually do not.

I know for a fact foreign cars do... I worked for a Honda/Hyundai dealership and both have lifetime warranties... I don't know about GM...

Mae

I know for a fact foreign cars do... I worked for a Honda/Hyundai dealership and both have lifetime warranties... I don't know about GM...

Foreign cars DO? Hm. Well I don't want to argue with GM unless I know for a fact that they really will replace it for free, lol. Is there a way that I can find out?

Do you know if Ford does? That'll be my next car, so just in case my GN breaks that belt too ... lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC