Vent I hate babytrend.

AuntieKatie

I work in a NICU and babytrend buckets are probably what I see most often and I have yet to have a baby fit in one well. The kid I'm taking care of tonight didn't do as well with his carseat test as he should have because the straps are almost two inches above his shoulders (not a super tiny baby either, he's six pounds.) I cringe at sending him home like that but there is nothing I can do about it...I hate it because these parents think they got a good seat... Ugh. Just needed to vent to some people who would understand :)

ADS

cookie123

I'm not a fan either. He must have passed if he's going home, right? I"m curious if nurses do the car seat tests where you work? Where I work, pulmonary diagnostics does them. They are going to start doing the hearing screen and the CCHD screening at the same time now. That will sure be nice.

MotoMommaNH

Yep. My SIL bought the BabyTrend because it was a pretty purple and the stroller was a three wheeled jogging type. People just don't see the weight minimums and think anything else of it, it's an 'infant seat' so it should fit all infants, right? :)
Her 32 week-er was going home and I convinced her to invest in a Chicco Keyfit 30 :) phew. Of course passed the test with flying colors in that seat.

The other repeat offender is the SnugRide 22. You'd think since it was the smallest weight limit it'd be the smallest seat and fit littles well but it doesn't. My DS went home around 7lbs 13oz and didn't even fit in it! That was before I knew better :eek: but a whole different can of beans there...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm not a fan, either. I've only seen (maybe!) a handful of babies who actually fit well at birth. :(

AuntieKatie

Yeah he passed but was desatting a bit and he hadn't been having any issues with that. I left him in it for an extra hour just to be sure lol
And yeah, us nurses do it. Right after a feed, they get strapped in for 90 minutes, any drop in heart rate or an o2 level drop that requires stimulation fails them and they'll need a car bed to go home (cringe).

AuntieKatie

Yeah they keyfit is my absolute favorite, fits even the smallest babies going home (even the less than four pounders fit well). The snugride 35 is good too...rare that I see those though.

I hate it when I'm driving and I see another person driving with the distinct triangular handle of the BabyTrend in the upright position. That's another thing about that seat which makes it have a higher rate of misuse, that silly handle.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
:scratcheshead: My 7lb full term baby fit in preemie sized everything at birth and she was not on the smallest setting in our flex loc. The puzzle buckle and the handle having to be down, yeah those features annoyed me, but I thought it was quite small enough. I guess actual preemies would be a different story.

YinzerMama

My girls were preemies but only one was in nicu and had to do the car seat test. I know for crash safety you want the slots lower then the shoulders but for the car seat test I am not sure how it would affect performance. I don't think either way really keeps the baby from slumping - once they hit the crotch strap they can't really melt any further, right?

We had a snugride 22 which was too big but I didn't know any better at the time.

I hate how hard the baby trend seats are, personally. No closer experience with them based on that alone.

carseatmama007

The other repeat offender is the SnugRide 22. You'd think since it was the smallest weight limit it'd be the smallest seat and fit littles well but it doesn't. My DS went home around 7lbs 13oz and didn't even fit in it! That was before I knew better :eek: but a whole different can of beans there...

My DD didn't fit in the SR22 either. She was 6 lbs and change when we went home, 19", so not a super tiny baby. I look back at pictures and the straps were well above her shoulders :( I didn't know better back then either.

YinzerMama

We ruled out the sr35s (then safeseat 1s) for my girls because no one in their right mind would tote two 35 pound babies around in buckets. :D

I really had no idea how much better the 35 would fit a SMALLER baby. It is so screwed up how sometimes marketing can decrease proper car seat use. We kept my oldest stuffed into his marathon longer than we should have because of the weight limit. It would be so much better to emphasize strap heights and put the weights the fine print.

We ended up getting a sr35 for kid 4 and that is one heck of an awesome seat. I wish we had gotten them with the twins. Oh well.

featherhead

We ruled out the sr35s (then safeseat 1s) for my girls because no one in their right mind would tote two 35 pound babies around in buckets. :D

I really had no idea how much better the 35 would fit a SMALLER baby. It is so screwed up how sometimes marketing can decrease proper car seat use. We kept my oldest stuffed into his marathon longer than we should have because of the weight limit. It would be so much better to emphasize strap heights and put the weights the fine print.

We ended up getting a sr35 for kid 4 and that is one heck of an awesome seat. I wish we had gotten them with the twins. Oh well.

The SR35 has lower slots and a better insert than the SS1 had. So the SS1 may not have been a great fit either.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I also work at a hospital and its very rare for the babies I see to fit in the FlexLoc. (And that darn handle...)

skylinphoto

My dd was 5lbs 8oz and fit okay in the baby trend seat. Any slouch to the side cause a slot to be slightly above one shoulder..not terrible imo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It would be so much better to emphasize strap heights and put the weights the fine print.

I was reading a PDF manual of an overseas Britax seat (I want to say Australia but I'm not sure) and the seat had NO weight limits. Instead, it had a line on the side of the seat showing how tall the child could be and still fit in the seat.

I thought it was brilliant. If you just make sure the seat can accommodate any child weight that can physically fit in it (which is the case with most high-weight seats in the US already), you shouldn't even need to "advertise" weight limits.

jess71903

Ambassador
Off-topic, but every time I see this thread pop up, my brain reads "I hate my boyfriend" and my thought is "then why is he your boyfriend?"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC