I can't find Expiration on Britax Boulevard

C

candice12

Does anyone know where I can find this?? I have looked everywhere!
Thanks so much!

ADS
C

candice12

ok thanks for your post! Is it an actual expiration date or just the date it was manufactured? I found where it has a serial #, etc. and it has a Man date of 7/24/07 but no expire, I can't find it anywhere! How long can you usually have these seats?? How many years does it take for them to expire?

C

candice12

Thanks for the info! Also another question... The wings on the boulevard... are they supposed to move around freely or are they supposed to be snug and fitted tight so they don't move? This is really a question for someone who has a Boulevard themselves. Thanks so much!

U

Unregistered

Sorry Julia, You answered right after sunnymw did and I had already asked the question reguarding what you posted before you answered the first time. Thanks for the information! :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No problemo! I hope someone has some advice about the headwings (I think they are somewhat wobbly in general...if yours are just totally floppy compared to say, the floor model at a store, then you might have an issue, though).

candice12

No problemo! I hope someone has some advice about the headwings (I think they are somewhat wobbly in general...if yours are just totally floppy compared to say, the floor model at a store, then you might have an issue, though).

They are wobbly, but this just seems a bit too wobbly to me. I just don't see how that could be very safe. After spending over $300 on this carseat I would just hope that it would be working correctly. We shall see... maybe I will call Britax tonight after I get off work.

If anyone else has any input on this it would be appreciated! :) :love:

sunnymw

yes mine come forward and wiggle quite a bit. :) They're not supposed to be rock solid... or at least I've never heard of one actually being rock solid!

U

Unregistered

yes mine come forward and wiggle quite a bit. :) They're not supposed to be rock solid... or at least I've never heard of one actually being rock solid!

You can get them rock solid. I kneel in my son's and tighten the top strap and then yank the bottom straps tight and then run the seat belt. I guess my weight pushing the extra slack helps when I am done and get out of the car I can grap the car seat and shake it and it doesn't move but the car will. So I think that is the only way to get it rock solid.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can get them rock solid. I kneel in my son's and tighten the top strap and then yank the bottom straps tight and then run the seat belt. I guess my weight pushing the extra slack helps when I am done and get out of the car I can grap the car seat and shake it and it doesn't move but the car will. So I think that is the only way to get it rock solid.

Glad you're here!

As techs we're taught to not tell parents to kneel in the seat. Not for fear that it'll hurt the seat, but because we don't want to intimidate the parents into thinking they can't do it themselves. However, there's no harm, and on seats like Britaxes where there are two straps, I like to do it simply so I can use both hands at once.

However, it sounds like you're installing the seat incorrectly. First, the top tether should be done last, not first. It's not an installation point, but a way to reduce head excursion. And if you do that first you can put undue strain on it, or not have the lower connection done properly. So if you read your manual you'll see that that's the last step in putting in your seat, not the first.

Second, if you have an older Britax, make sure you flipped your LATCH connectors over to forward facing, and you're not exceeding either Britax's LATCH limit of 48 pounds, or your car's if it's lower.

Third, you cannot use LATCH and the seatbelt together. Again, read your manual. You'll find directions for each, but you should never use both. No carseat manufacturer approves it. Given that it's a big NO across the board, my guess is that it fails testing, rather than giving the backup parents are looking for. I would think someone has tested it, but maybe not. If no one has tested it, then you're using your child to find out if it will fail. And it may. You'd think two outfielders running to the ball would guarantee that it'll get caught, but it doesn't always, right? Both the LATCH and the seatbelt straps are expecting to take the full crash forces and stretch. If they're both engaged, then neither may take the forces and neither may stretch. The stretching slows down the crash for your child. So if the crash forces aren't slowed down by the installation (either LATCH or the seatbelt) then where do they go? Into the seat and child. It could place undue strain on the carseat, breaking it, or it could put too much force on your child, breaking them.

So let us know in what car and in what position you're installing it, and we can make sure about the LATCH limits, if there's LATCH in that position (many cars don't allow center LATCH), and any other questions you have. But please read your manual, or go to britaxusa.com and download another copy, and reread the installation section.

Also, know that up to 1" of movement is acceptable. I can usually get a Britax in rock solid more easily than I can with any movement, but I also stress to parents that 1" at the belt path is completely normal and acceptable. There is zero need to go to great lengths to get a seat without movement. In fact, I've had several parents go so zanely on their installations that it was then impossible, or close to, to remove the seat again from the car.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC