Question How would you approach this?

AuntieKatie

My nephew is 9.5 months old and has just about outgrown his BabyTrend bucket...my parents bought him a convertible (I believe its an Evenflo, but I'm not sure, doesn't matter).
Yesterday I happened to glance into my brother's truck and the seat is FF. I was totally flabbergasted--still can't believe it.
What would you say to your brother in this situation? I don't want to offend him and I'm also not convinced he'll listen to me since I don't have kids of my own yet :(
I'm going to show him Joel's story but are there any other great ones that I can play for him?

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
This video is great [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube[/ame].

Could you find a seat check event and invite him to come with you to get the seats in your vehicle checked? That way, a tech is doing the educating and you don't have to be the bad guy. He's probably more likely to listen to a tech than his sister.

If there are no events, perhaps you could share this information with your parents and let them be the ones to approach him.

petriescz

It sounds like he just doesn't know any better. Could you go to the evenflo website and print out the recommendations to RF until the maximum of the seat. That way it's not you saying it but it's the manufacturer.

henrietta

It also happens to be the law to forward face until a minimum of one year....and in my state it's to the minimum of one year AND 20 lbs.

You can order the full instruction manual from Evenflo for any seat--if you already have one and have read it, you'll be more able to explain it to him. ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not law in NC to rear face to a year. NC is a proper use state, which means you need to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Because Evenflo says one year, you cannot legally use the seat forward facing before a year. But 1 and 20 is not the law in NC. For instance, if you have a 21 pound two year old in a True Fit, they have to be rear facing since the True Fit doesn't legally allow forward facing until 23 pounds.

I would mention it to him in a, "I was just reading the other day that in 2011 the AAP said that children should face the rear until two years old. If you'd like, I can help you reinstall the seat before you go."

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC