How to arrange 4 kids in 2007 Odyssey

Whit45

My almost 4-year-old twins (31 and 33 lbs) have outgrown their Combi Coccoros. I was thinking of using this as a reason to turn them forward facing and put them both in Graco Nautilus Snugfit LX. Because of quarantine they haven't ridden in the car since March and I doubt they will again before their birthday in June. Should I buy something rear-facing instead?

My 6 year old (44 lbs) is currently in a Clek Fllo and the baby (8 months, 17 lbs) is in a Chicco Keyfit 30. I am thinking of giving the Fllo to the baby (rear facing of course) and moving the big kid to a Graco Turbobooster Grow, and rearranging all the seats while I'm at it. Too early for that?

What sort of seating arrangement works best for these seats in a 2007 Honda Odyssey? I have the 8th seat but usually keep it out. Other thoughts?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hello and Welcome!

That's some good use out of the Coccoros! It is a very reasonable option for a typical 4-year old, 30+ pound child to transition to a combination harness/booster like the Nautilus. It's also fine for a 6-year old to use a booster, as long as they are mature enough to remain seated properly in it. That would leave your baby in the rear-facing Fllo which is a great option.

If you want to keep the 4-year olds rear-facing, you might consider something like the Graco Extend2Fit 3-in-1. This model has generous limits and extra legroom for older rear-facing kids and also converts to a high back booster later as well. Target has a nice deal on the Stocklyn fashion right now at $165: https://bit.ly/3dJfOSa

As for arrangement, you probably want the rear-facing toddler in the 2nd row? If the 8th seat is usually stowed, you could have the aisle in the middle or slide the passenger side seat toward the middle leaving 3rd row access on the passenger side. Since you have top tethers everywhere, I'd suggest keeping the booster rider in the other 2nd row seat. That makes it easier to put an adult there when needed.

Then, you can install the Nautili or other combo seats on each side of the 3rd row seat using a top tether.

Nautilus Snuglock LX has a $25 off instant coupon at Amazon right now if you like the Codey fashion: https://amzn.to/3bpPDOB . That makes it around the same price as the Extend2Fit 3-in-1. The Nautilus gives you the SnugLock seatbelt installation system and a backless booster mode. The E2F3n1 gives you the extra rear-facing limits and legroom. Can't go wrong either way since you have a minivan and should have enough room to put more upright rear-facing seats in the third row if needed. Still, make sure you get a free returns policy just in case! Target and Amazon (as long as it's sold/shipped by Amazon and not a 3rd party seller) are good with free returns, as is Walmart.

My almost 4-year-old twins (31 and 33 lbs) have outgrown their Combi Coccoros. I was thinking of using this as a reason to turn them forward facing and put them both in Graco Nautilus Snugfit LX. Because of quarantine they haven't ridden in the car since March and I doubt they will again before their birthday in June. Should I buy something rear-facing instead?

My 6 year old (44 lbs) is currently in a Clek Fllo and the baby (8 months, 17 lbs) is in a Chicco Keyfit 30. I am thinking of giving the Fllo to the baby (rear facing of course) and moving the big kid to a Graco Turbobooster Grow, and rearranging all the seats while I'm at it. Too early for that?

What sort of seating arrangement works best for these seats in a 2007 Honda Odyssey? I have the 8th seat but usually keep it out. Other thoughts?

Last edited:

Whit45

Thank you! It just occurred to me that I need to think about use for travel, too. We will definitely be flying and then in a rental car over Christmas. The kids will be almost 7, 4.5, 4.5, and 15 months then. I can borrow 3 CARES harnesses for the plane. The oldest could be in a backless booster maybe? What about the other 3? My current seat ideas are nightmares for travel, aren't they. Sigh.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thank you! It just occurred to me that I need to think about use for travel, too. We will definitely be flying and then in a rental car over Christmas. The kids will be almost 7, 4.5, 4.5, and 15 months then. I can borrow 3 CARES harnesses for the plane. The oldest could be in a backless booster maybe? What about the other 3? My current seat ideas are nightmares for travel, aren't they. Sigh.

The older kids may be big enough by then such that they may be able to use the seatbelt on the airplane, but they'd still need a suitable restraint for the car of course.

The toddler could use a lightweight seat like a Costco Scenera NEXT in the plane and car. The oldest should be big enough to use an inflatable BubbleBum booster. The seats for the 4.5 year olds may have to be like a Nautilus, but possibly a booster if they are big enough and mature enough by then.

Whit45

I am leaning now towards Evenflo Maestro Sport (or possibly the Cosco Finale?) which is 1/2 the weight of Graco Nautilus. Will I be regretting these as full-time seats in the minivan? How do the seats compare for comfort and ease of use?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Maestro has somewhat lower limits than Nautilus. It's a fine choice for kids who are not larger than average and won't be using a harness to will beyond the usual transition point to a booster around 5 years old.

Both lack the nice harness height adjuster found on premium models like Nautilus, Chicco MyFit, Britax Grow With You. On the plus side they are inexpensive and light weight for travel. I can't say how comfort compares, sorry.

I am leaning now towards Evenflo Maestro Sport (or possibly the Cosco Finale?) which is 1/2 the weight of Graco Nautilus. Will I be regretting these as full-time seats in the minivan? How do the seats compare for comfort and ease of use?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC