Vent How to approach someone about incorrect CR install?

lilti9er

Yesterday was really an off kind of day. I had to call the cops on a car with a 1 yr old just bouncing away in the car going from the front to back and all around. Plus, the driver was going 50+ mph in a 35-40 mph zone and taking selfies with the child. I didn't follow the car the rest of the way so I don't even know if the cops found the car or not.

Then I went to drop off my clothes at the dry-cleaners and I saw this lady (I'm assuming is the grandmother) gently place the infant car seat FF onto the back seat and closed the door. I almost said something but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought she was going to put something in the front then go back there to install the seat correctly. But no, I was wrong and the lady just drove off. I was in complete shock. I was so angry and sad, all at the same time. If I would've said something to the lady then that little baby would've been more safe; I just didn't know what or how to say it to not offend her. I kept thinking one sharp turn and there goes that car seat rolling across the back seat.

I seriously believe there should be mandatory safety classes before a child is born or attained. Like have car seat safety classes while the parents are at the hospital before taking baby home. And then the parents should show the caretakers how to install the seat or install the base for them so that they wouldn't have to worry about it. I see these types of things all the time but yesterday was the very first time I actually acted and called the police on the first car.

How do you approach someone about car seat safety if you're not a tech?

ADS

Baylor

I know it seems like you want to fix the world but you can't. My advice is to get some great Child car seat booklets, I got some from usaa, Keep them with you and give them out if you like, but you will find no one wants to get car seat advice from a stranger. You have to learn to almost turn a blind eye. When I see people driving with kids unrestrained I call police and report it. In PA it is a first offense not a secondary anymore so they can be pulled over and ticketed for it.

But really as much as it may kill you, You can not do more than just offer a quick word and then let it go. Especially if you are not a tech. If you are then you can offer them a card and help but a non tech, Really can not offer much and shouldn't because just because you know more than them, Does not mean you know enough to get it all right and not put the child at more risk. IMO

bubbaray

Even when I was a tech, I did not give unsolicited advice to strangers nor did I ever call the cops (tho I saw plenty of misuse or non-use of seats).

lilti9er

I think in the back of my mind I knew if I said something that it wouldn't be received well so that may be why I hesitated.

Thank you for listening to my vent and responding.

AllieK

Even if you are a tech, it's not usually a great idea to approach strangers to criticize their parenting.

:yeahthatsad:
There are so many awful things that can and do happen to children in this world - I would drive myself crazy if I tried to police everyone. When I see something like this I say the serenity prayer, kiss my kids and move on.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm a tech and I don't approach people. The only thing I'll do, on occasion, is offer assistance if I see people in the car seat aisle while I happen to be there. I'll say something like, "Hi, I don't work here, but I'm a car seat technician so I know a lot about these things. Let me know if you have any questions." That's usually very well received, but I never press it.

I have called the cops on a few occasions, but I've never approached a stranger about misuse.

sunnymw

I don't approach people unless I'm in full uniform and behind you with my blue lights on ;) cause I can actually DO something about it then!

Otherwise I wait until I'm approached.

thepote

Yes to everything above. It's hard, but you just have to turn a blind eye.

One thing I see here is when newer members really get into CPS and learn a lot there's this point when they, understandably, just want to shout it from the rooftops. That passion is great, but it needs to be channeled into positive ways to help advocate for CPS. Unsolicited advice makes us all look like crazies :p

cookie123

I also don't approach anyone. I have a little conversation with myself in my head when I encounter a problem! I feel the answer is education and not just the how, but also the why. People need to understand the difference it can make to have their child properly restrained.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC