Question How much time hypothetically? with pic :)

arly1983

Ds2 is 5 years 2 months, long and thin, and very impulsive. I had planned on using the nautilus until he outgrew it and then switching it into booster mode but I thought we would at least get to six. Now I am not so sure. I have a sureride in DHs car that he fits with room to grow but I'd rather not move a seat back and forth. I guess what I am looking for is if I want to make it closer to seven to allow some maturing should I start saving and looking for sales? I suppose I could just purchase another sureride if the time comes he outgrows his nautilus and is not mature enough for a hbb. I prefer dedicated HBBs so I doubt id use a frontier in hbb mode even if my latch wouldnt make it cover the female end of the rigid buckles. This pic was taken dead straight on as I could get it and I smoothed his shirt down. View attachment 24737

Last edited:
ADS

Lemonade

I agree it doesn't look like he'll make it to 6 unless he really stops growing. Getting another sure ride when the time comes sounds like the best plan.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It depends. My kids hit a certain age where they only grew legs. That much room at 5 would have meant 2-3 YEARS before they were actually taller than the slots. Seriously DS spent ages 5-7 dead even with a classic Marathon.

arly1983

It depends. My kids hit a certain age where they only grew legs. That much room at 5 would have meant 2-3 YEARS before they were actually taller than the slots. Seriously DS spent ages 5-7 dead even with a classic Marathon.

:dance: I have hope. You just reminded me that his brother did slow down from age 5-7ish and then took off like a shot again. :D I guess I'll watch and wait.

Baylor

Mine stopped growing in the body and started growing in the legs and so I got much more time out of it than I thought I would. I would start booster training now in short small trips.

arly1983

Forgot to mention, this is the sureride from DHs car. I am going to use it through the summer and see how I like it as a primary seat and if I mind switching it back and forth. He has a load of room to grow. That will determine if I am going to get a Frontier 90 or even another sureride. I had thought about the Pioneer 70 but I am seeing that it has 18-18.5 top slots so I lean towards the other two just in case I need the height. I may be good with just moving the sureride we have around and I already have 2 PWSG that will be passed down eventually.

arly1983

Room to grow in Frontier 90 attached below. 52 lb, 5.5 yr old that is just a hair from outgrowing his nautilus. Not sure of overall height. Taller than average. Sureride is his sometimes weekend ride in dad's car. Frontier just got here from Amazon. It's cool, lots of nifty features. It's big! Even in a 2013 Acadia. This is my last child. I have nice boosters to pass down. I doubt I'll use it in booster mode. It had less room to grow than I was hoping for. He is wiggly still and impulsive. I was hoping to get to 6 at least before thinking about bolstering him and 6.5 would be even better. I am torn. Frontier or Sureride for his main ride? Give me your thoughts. His opinion: "Red. Red! My favorite color RED!" Lol!

View attachment 25355

Last edited:

arly1983

I know logically, price does not equal safety, but it does feel weird using a sureride as a main seat when my other two are in a clek Ozzi and britax pwsg.

sb518

Based on the fact that it appears he will have very minimal SIP in the Sureride by the time he gets to the top slots, makes me vote for the Frontier.

djma

Based on the fact that it appears he will have very minimal SIP in the Sureride by the time he gets to the top slots, makes me vote for the Frontier.

I agree. Didn't think of it until just now, but I don't like the amount of head exposed when the child is actually needing the top slots.

arly1983

Thanks!

The lack of SIP doesn't bother me as much in DHs car because he is in the middle but in my car he has to go outboard. Well, at least until he can buckle himself in the 3rd row.

I'm in this camp. I wouldn't have a problem using it occasionally on the top slots but I'd rather something more supportive for regular rides where the child may need to rest their head.

djma

It has more SIP at taller heights than the Radian people! Yet everyone still uses the Radians to the top slot.

I don't own a radian and don't like them. But when I did have one years ago, my son's head was pretty well still within the shell on the top slot.

OP doesn't have a radian and a sureride and asking for opinions, she has a FR90 and a sureride which is why she's getting votes for the FR90.

arly1983

It is probably smarter to use the sureride for the next 6-12 mths and buy a nice long lasting booster (in red, of course) than keep the frontier90? Most likely.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC