How much SUV do I need?

EmeraldNYL

So, baby #2 is on the way (DS will be 27 months old then) and I am in the market for a new SUV because I attempted installing 2 RF carseats in my Infiniti EX35 and it was an EPIC FAIL (and I'm not willing to turn my tiny DS FF until he's at least 3). I am used to driving small sporty cars and thought the EX35 would be big enough when I bought it 2.5 years ago but I was wrong! So, how much SUV do I need for 2 kids, a double stroller, and a small dog? Do I need something big like a Mazda CX-9 or Honda Pilot, or is something smaller like a Subaru Outback or Volvo XC60 ok?

I'm looking to spend less than $33,000 (new or gently used). It must have AWD, be sporty, and fun to drive. What SUV's should I be looking at? I would love an Acura MDX but even the used ones are $37,000+ in my area.

ADS

Jenny487

My mother in law has a Pilot, and to fit our double stroller in, the 3rd row seats would need to be flat. But, that would probably give you more than enough room for the stroller and a small dog kennel. In my opinion, the Subaru or Volvo might work, but you might feel like outgrow them quickly. I'd go for the midsize I think. Other SUVs you might consider are the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, (New starting at roughly 30K or even a Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon (could find an incredibly nice used one for 33K where I live). The new Ford Explorer might be a good option too, and it is really sporty (I think)! Or a Nissan Pathfinder? Hope this helps!

kathysr98

My mother has a Ford Edge and it's very sporty to drive! If your second child will be your last, it would be a good option. They made a significant change in the roof design in Dec 2011, so I would look for one newer than that. If you are planning a possible third child, I'd look at the Explorer or EcoBoost Flex. Both have tons of room & are fun to drive.

canadiangie

Well, for what it's worth, I've successfully installed a rear facing Radian middle with Angle Adjuster accessory, and a Peg Perego infant seat outboard passenger side in an EX35. It was cozy, but doable. :)

In terms of how much more space you need, assuming you upsize, I'd go to an Acura MDX / Honda Pilot in terms of size, but I'd go no bigger for two children.

You could even go up just a tiny bit to a Honda CRV for example and find the space you have is just enough to make all the difference in the world.

I've put two seats in a half a dozen Audi Q5's and it's a nice vehicle to work in -- but will likely exceed your $33k limit, not sure. Similar size to a CRV.

The Subaru Tribecca is a nice vehicle to work in, as is the Forester made after 09. Again, sort of a smaller midsize SUV.

Ive only worked in a few CX7 and CX9, and have yet to work in a CX5, but I'm betting the 7 and 9 would more than meet your needs.

Those are my thoughts. I'm sure I've missed a few.

Oh, the XC60 and 90 would work, without question.

Lots of choices... or you could find an experienced tech in your area who could help with getting things to work in your current ride. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'd go for the midsize I think. Other SUVs you might consider are the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, (New starting at roughly 30K or even a Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon (could find an incredibly nice used one for 33K where I live).

All very good options in terms of space, but none will meet the fun-to-drive requirement or be anywhere near as sporty in terms of performance as the EX.

That's pretty much the tradeoff with going larger. The Acura MDX would have been my suggestion for a somewhat larger SUV that retains some power and handling, but I know the OP said it was above the price range.

Of all the 3-row models I've driven, the Kia Sorento and Mazda5 were probably the most fun to drive. The Mazda lacks power and the Sorento is OK with the V6, but they both handle a lot better than most of the larger crossovers. I'm not sure if they offer much more space than the EX or not, though, and you will be giving up some luxury feel and amenities either way.

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango. I think they are very sporty and sleek looking, kind of like your current car. I have three kids and have them in the second and third row and still have room behind the third row to stand up my double jogging stroller. With them all in the second row together and the third row folded down I have more than enough room for strollers, groceries, whatever I need and then some. And even the base model feels luxurious inside...they all have standard leather trim. You can easily find a brand new one for under $33k and that price range won't even limit you to the base model. Darren did a review on it at carseatblog.com.

http://carseatblog.com/17138/the-un-minivan-2012-dodge-durango-review-kids-carseats-safety/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC