How much longer does Radian last FF than Foonf?

eduller

I have a friend who has a 4 year old with slightly low muscle tone. He has no diagnosis, but he does really slump and slouch at the end of the day when he's tired - much more so than other kids his age. He's currently RF in a Sureride.

He is a smallish sized kid but not super tiny. He's just at 40 lbs, about 40 inches, pretty proportional legs to torso. I don't have his exact torso measurement, but sitting him side by side with my daughter, his legs are longer but his head is about 1/2 inch below hers, so he is about 22 inches butt to top of head as she is close to 23 inches.

My friend wants to keep him RF at least another year by which time the doctors say with physical therapy he should be good to go, and he is small enough to do so. She doesn't have a set budget and is interested in the Foonf and the Radian RXT. He fits nicely in my daughter's Foonf.

I don't have enough experience with larger/FF kids to tell her which one lasts longer FF. In theory, it would be the Radian, right? Obviously it has higher weight limits. But I'm not sure how much longer it lasts. Does the extra weight make a huge difference when you count in shoulder harness height? She and I agree that we wouldn't feel that comfortable keeping him FF harnessed once his shoulders pass the top slot no matter what Diono says. Anyone have bigger kids and both seats?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The top harness slot of the Radian is between 17.5-18.0", and the top slot of the Foonf is 17.0". However, the Radian can be used with the shoulders above the top slots (though I do not do this because it makes me nervous), so it could last a bit longer than the 0.5-1.0" would imply.

The measurements don't always match up with how long a seat lasts. Kids seem to settle into seats in different ways, so measurements are just an estimate.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Diono gives the Radian top harness height as 18". In actual measurements, I've never been able to measure over 17" with compressing the seat cover and recently was only able to measure 16.5". The Foonf measures at 17".

In actual use, I think you're looking at pretty close to the same amount of time with both unless you go over the top slots in the Radian. That's a topic that there are a few different threads on and different opinions. It's not something I would do with my own kids, but ultimately it's up to parents to decide what they're comfortable with.

eduller

Yeah AK Dad I did mention it to her. She doesn't want to spend quite *that* much. I did offer to trade her future Foonf with one of my Swede seats for a few months to get her son to 5 RF. We may end up going that route. I think my daughter will get at least another year RF out of the Foonf. I hope...she's huge.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC