How long to harness? (links)

Jan06twinmom

Does anyone have a good link about why you should keep children in a 5pt harness beyond 4y and 40lbs?

Also, does anyone have a link that describes when a harness seat still fits and is outgrown?

One of my friends is receiving pressure from some school personnel to move her child from a harness seat to a booster seat. Her child will be entering K in the fall and is autistic, which I know is influencing her decision. She is holding her ground in keeping him harnessed, but I would like to give her some information she can share with the school personnel.

TIA

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I can't figure out how to link from my phone but Nhsta.gov says that children 4 through 7 years old should remain harnessed as long as they fit in their harnessed seats. :)

Baylor

I think however that since the child has autism all bets are off with the normal suggestions. I would think that alone would be enough to not have them give her a hard time about him being harnessed longer.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The question is not really whether a properly used booster is less safe for a child that age and size than a harness. We don't know the answer to that question, conclusively. If there's a safety difference, it's probably minimal.

The real question is whether the child is capable of using a booster correctly at all times. Very few 4 year olds can do that. Probably half-ish of developmentally typical 5 year olds can do it. Most developmentally typical 6 year olds can.

Children with autism can be very impulsive and disobedient, or sometimes they can be super duper rule-followers capable of using boosters at a younger than average age. But I'm going to suggest that the mom stick to her gut instinct because she knows her child best.

A booster that is not used correctly is not a safe restraint for the child. Every time the child fiddles with the seat belt, slouches, leans out of position, or unbuckles is a time when the child is in danger if an accident happens. And the list of children who have died or been injured because the child was out of position "just for a moment" is way, way too long.

Jan06twinmom

Also, does anyone have a link that describes when a harness seat still fits and is outgrown?

Does anyone have this information? I know we have a good picture of how a properly fitted booster seat looks, but I don't know if we have something similar with a harness seat.

Thank you for the information so far!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC