How does this look?

Mom2FiveGirls

I rearranged car seats again today and DD5 (4.5 years, 38 lbs, 41 inches) is now in the FR85. How does this look? Is it too reclined? Is the gap between the seat and the vehicle seat okay?

photo-21.jpg

photo-22.jpg

photo-23.jpg

photo-24.jpg

photo-25.jpg

ADS

firemomof3

It looks too reclined to me personally. How many clicks is your vehicle seat reclined? This is exactly what happened with the Frontier85 in my van and that is why I sold it. A forward facing seat should be installed as upright as possible and I just got a better install with the GN and ProSport

Baylor

I used my knee to push the seat against the back of the car seatback... Have you tried installing with seatbelt?

Mom2FiveGirls

It's one click back. It looked worse in the most upright position (which is still pretty reclined compared to other seats). I'm going to try with the seatbelt and see how that goes. We will eventually need the seat in dh's truck due to lack of shoulder belts and head rests and the need to keep one of the girls harnessed as long as possible in there but I was hoping to use it in my van in the meantime. I really like the seat!

luckyclov

It looks too reclined to me as well. I'd swap LATCH out for long belt path, that should help in getting it a little more upright (use your knee to push back at the edge of the FR85 and the other knee in the seat pushing down). It may leave you with a bit of a gap towards the back/bottom, but the gap is fine as long as the install is otherwise acceptable.:)

I'm not sure what year your Chrysler/Dodge is (I *think* that's what vehicle that is...), but this is what the install looked like (upright) with LBP in my old '09 GC (it was rock solid, even long-term):
IMG_1090.jpg

Baylor

I have my FR in the same spot in van with LBP. I don't know if I have a pic or not bug I'll take one when I go out.

luckyclov

The slope in the 2008+ GC/T&C's seats is a little more dramatic.

It could be "illusion" since there's no one sitting in the seat, but I do think it looks a little more upright with the LBP.

Mom2FiveGirls

It won't stay tight with the lbp. AHHH!!!! I guess its the angle or something, but it seems rock solid, but after a couple days I noticed it felt loose and sure enough, I could push it and loosen it even more. I tried several times and could not get it so it was solid and would stay that way. I tried installing it with LATCH again, but couldn't get rid of the gap and it was still too reclined for my liking, so I gave up. I put the frontier in DH's excursion, which is where it was going to end up eventually. I was just hoping I could use it in my van for a while first. So for now DD5 is back in the MA70.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I didn't see this thread until now, but I really wouldn't have had issue with the recline of the seat. Do you have the headrest off? You can probably have the vehicle seat more upright with the headrest off.

Also, a bit of gap between the back of the car seat and the vehicle seat isn't a big deal provided the install is tight.

But I don't really think your original install looked like something I'd worry about.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC