Question How does the XTSL do FF

mlohry

I have surprisingly loved a XTSL borrowed from a friend so much so I am thinking of finding one used. DD is 3.8 and I love it for RF. Works awesome for her sleeping in it RF with those big head wings, but I'm wondering how it does FF, do people still like it? Do you get any head flop with a sleeping child FF. My DD is a huge car sleeper.

ADS

jacqui276

I have a RXT and like it FFing when I have used it for my niece and nephew. My nephew, who is the same age as your DD, has fallen asleep in it a couple times and his head doesn't slump forwards. He leans to the side into the head wings.

rverrone11

We used the XTSL RFing until DD outgrew it at 3.5. We've been using it FFing for the past 1.5 years, and DD doesn't have a problem with it THOUGH she does get head slump once in a while. We travel long distances quite often (cross country) and she sleeps in it a lot. The head slump doesn't seem to bother her (but it does bother me).

skylinphoto

I love it ffing. Low profile, kids can climb into it easily, looks like a big kid seat, and headslump has been rare for us. Also, my kids can easily reach the center cupholders on the fold down thingy in it..vs a higher profile seat.

VoodooChile

We have an RXT, not an XTSL, but we use it ff for ds and it works well for us for many of the same reasons already noted--low profile, easyt o get in and out, etc. I did see ds get head slump once or twice on a road trip, but he sleeps in the car VERY rarely, only on long trips, so it's really not a concern for me. If he was a regular car sleeper I could drop the recline if I wanted to.

tiggercat

My daughter used an xtsl for a while when she was 4 or 5, and we liked it a lot. No head slump. However, her legs would go numb on long drives because they just hung and there was no way for her to cross or adjust them. A lightweight footrest might have solved the problem, but I just handed down the Radian and got her a Nauti. Traded numb bum/legs for headslump. Can't win :shrug:

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

bnsnyde

Love it! Ours are totally upright but my kids don't sleep in the car. My 6-year-old just upgraded to a booster but my 5-year-old will remain in the FF XTSL for some time. Gosh, I think she'd fit easily until 7.
I just don't like that the harness is hard to adjust, but I can't say it's awful, having used other seats as well.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I Hate with a capital H installing the Radian FF with a seat belt, but otherwise, I like it FF for all the same reasons everyone listed. :D

mlohry

EmmaCPST said:
I Hate with a capital H installing the Radian FF with a seat belt, but otherwise, I like it FF for all the same reasons everyone listed. :D

I will have to try it with LATCH FF, I could not get a good install RF with it, but it worked fine with the seat belt. The whole super latch issues made me nervous RF anyway and her feet would EASILY rest on the release to loosen it. Usually I prefer latch, but seat belt is working great here.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I will have to try it with LATCH FF, I could not get a good install RF with it, but it worked fine with the seat belt. The whole super latch issues made me nervous RF anyway and her feet would EASILY rest on the release to loosen it. Usually I prefer latch, but seat belt is working great here.

I just hate the belt path, the angle of it is annoying and it always makes the belt all scrunched which makes it hard to tighten and it's low so you have to twist the buckle stalk most of the time which makes it more bunched and ugh, it just always feels like 12 times as much work as any other FF seat. LATCH is definitely a little easier, but it seems like every time I see one, it's a seat belt! I'm also pregnant and just had to do a particularly difficult one in a Nissan Pathfinder a couple days ago though so that's on the top of my brain right now lol.

amyd

DS1 uses an XTSL FFing sometimes and he's comfy in it. He prefers the Nautilus, though, because he likes the cupholders and cubbies.

canadiangie

I liked it.

I won't be using my RXT ff tho because I'm not a fan of the padded harness covers that are mandatory in Canada. :thumbsdown:

So dd will go into a different seat of some sort for ff.

tiggercat

canadiangie said:
I liked it.

I won't be using my RXT ff tho because I'm not a fan of the padded harness covers that are mandatory in Canada. :thumbsdown:

Ah good point! I am getting Sam a Frontier when we go FF for just that reason. My old xtsl didn't have the covers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Keeanh

I liked it.

One of mine is just old enough that it doesn't have those. But I wouldn't use them anyhow :duck:. The seats pass testing without them. They just do better FF with the covers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC