Honda Pilot without 3rd Row Headrests

M

Mom to Four

Hi Friends -

We are purchasing a used Honda Pilot. All of the headrests in the third row are missing. After reading some Pilot reviews, I'm assuming that the previous owners had children in car seats in the back. Reviews state that the angle of the headrests make it difficult to get a good installation. I have four children -- one in an Evenflo Maestro (harnessed) and another in a booster that I'd like to replace (the other two no longer need boosters). I'll put my older children in the middle row with the headrests intact and the children in car seat and booster in the third row. My child in the booster will be age 8 this summer and is very small for her age. Without the headrests on the seat, does a high back booster compromise her safety when her neck is even with the top of the seat of the car and the booster is the support from there up? I looked at the Chicco Kidfit (since it has the height adjustment at the waist rather than the shoulders/neck and wondered if that would be a safer option). I had hoped to find a Diono with a steel shank like the Radians, but it doesn't look to be the case. Since I don't have the vehicle yet, I may be assuming there is a problem that doesn't exist (maybe the actual seat back is higher than it looks in the pictures?)...but I'd like to have the seats ready when I pick it up and hoped that someone here has some experience to share.

Many thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Diono boosters require head support to the top of the child's ears. So they wouldn't be recommended.

You could look into the Evenflo Big Kid/Amp, Britax Skyline/Highpoint, Nuna Aace, Graco Turbobooster/Turbobooster Stretch, Peg Perego HBB or Flex 120. For the Flex, it's such a heavy seat I'd recommend using the lower anchors to keep it anchored it.

You could also contact Honda to get new headrests.

Wendy

C

Carrie

Not sure the year of Pilot, but in my 2006, the 3rd row headrests stored in a compartment under the trunk. Maybe worth a look?

M

Mom to Four

Diono boosters require head support to the top of the child's ears. So they wouldn't be recommended.

You could look into the Evenflo Big Kid/Amp, Britax Skyline/Highpoint, Nuna Aace, Graco Turbobooster/Turbobooster Stretch, Peg Perego HBB or Flex 120. For the Flex, it's such a heavy seat I'd recommend using the lower anchors to keep it anchored it.

You could also contact Honda to get new headrests.

Wendy
Thanks so much, Wendy! Just so I understand clearly...any of the car seats you listed do not require the extra support of the car's headrest behind the booster's headrest?

Also, the specs for this vehicle show only latch anchors outboard in the 2nd row, so I'm assuming the Flex wouldn't be my best bet for the 3rd row.

I did think about purchasing new headrests, but reviews from other sites for the 2005 indicate that for this particular year the headrests are at a weird angle and prevent the proper installation of car seats and boosters (lwhich makes me think that's likely why they were removed by the previous owner).

I also thought about purchasing the headrests and putting my older two in the back, but the legroom is so narrow, that doesn't seem like the safest option either. And removing the booster to put the seat down every time we get in and out isn't a great option either.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Thank you so much for your help!

M

Mom to Four

Not sure the year of Pilot, but in my 2006, the 3rd row headrests stored in a compartment under the trunk. Maybe worth a look?
We've purchased the car out of state. The dealer couldn't find them, but I'll check that compartment when I get there. Other reviews I've found online say that the angle of the headrest in the 3rd row of the 2005 makes it impossible to get good installs on car seats and boosters. I'm assuming that's why the headrests were removed. Is that your experience with the 2006?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For wonky headrests, if you find them, Diono, Evenflo, Nuna, and Peg boosters work well.

If you can't find them, the ones I mentioned work. They don't require headrests. But you need to work with the weight of the Peg if you don't have lower anchors.

M

Mom to Four

For wonky headrests, if you find them, Diono, Evenflo, Nuna, and Peg boosters work well.

If you can't find them, the ones I mentioned work. They don't require headrests. But you need to work with the weight of the Peg if you don't have lower anchors.
Perfect! Thank you, Wendy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC