Honda Pilot and Carseats (VERY pic heavy.)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I can get the whole vehicle done in about 45 minutes. It should take less, but seems like every time I have a problem with one seat or another. (Last time it was the CCO; the time before that the MyRide was fussy.)

Seats are for my charges; the variety is because they're what best fits the children and the vehicle. (My budget just has to deal with that, ha!) The kidlets in that setup range in age from 18 mos to 9, with vastly different body types, so the same seat wouldn't fit across the board (nor would it fit in my vehicle.) I had different seats when I had my van, but I repurchased everything from scratch in February when I got the Pilot and it became a matter of getting my "musts" and then fitting everything else around it. If I let the parents provide their seats, it would be, um, scary. This way I can use best practice and know the history of the various seats.

ADS

rodentranger

Re: Pilot & Radian, Part 3

However, in order to get it to stay in the divot -- and not "hop" on top of it -- it requires two twists of one stalk and three of the other (I can't remember which is which!) and a locking clip. Without the locking clip, the shoulder belt pulls up on the driver's side of the Radian, and it causes it to hop up.

First, thank you!
Second, I wish I had been able to buy a newer Pilot so I could have the sliding second row!
Third, I thought you could only have three twists between *both* buckle stalks. As in, if you twist one side twice, you only get one on the other side.

I have my XTSL installed in the center of my second row without using the LC. :confused: I have two twists on the anchor side and one on the buckle side I think. Now I have to go out and play with it to see. :p

Carrie_R

You know, I keep meaning to look into three twists total vs. three twists per stalk; my understanding is that there is some debate about this but I'm not sure what exactly the debate is. I guess it's six twists in the "system," but OTOH, each piece has its own strength so you're not reducing the overall strength by more than 3 twists, kwim?

I'd be very interested to hear others' thoughts on this -- or direction to a thread where it's discussed.

I only need the locking clip if I want to get an upright install, and get it to stay in the divot. Since your second row is permanantly in the furthest back position (right? There's not much leg room at all in the third row?) the extra front-to-back room may not matter. It goes in just fine without the LC, just doesn't stay as upright.

Oh, and as far as the second row sliding -- I truly don't think I could possibly fit my crew in the Pilot without it. The RFing three-across is really the best fit back there, and pretty much my only option on the 60 portion. Of course, normal people who don't use four or five RFing seats probably don't have that problem, lol!!

Oh and can I say, I'm totally jealous that your T -- at the same age and height as my J -- is so much lighter than J? He's 43+lbs and when he outgrows the Radian RF my life is going to get much more difficult! :crying: Ok, ok... end whine, lol.

rodentranger

I install my XTSL in the divot and it stays there for a decently upright install. If I recall, it matters which side I twist the two times and which side gets twisted once. I have it outboard right now since we have a roadtrip coming up and I install the DVD in the center so they don't fight for the whole trip.

I tried following your step by step you gave me via PM, and I can just *barely* install a MA rf in my 3rd row. I have to fold 2nd row down to install then basically brace the MA against the seatback when I push it back into the locked position. Then it's so upright, it's hard to get a good install in the second row. I pretty much only have the option of ff 3rd row, rf second row.
When I have my nephews with me (3 yrs 24 lbs and 7 mos 18 lbs), poor T ends up by himself ff in the third row. I think that I might try 3 ff across 3rd row. The CA fits well outboard since the way the bottom of the seat is structured, you can overhang it over the buckle anchor on the outside. I think I could then maybe fit a RN between them? Big Britax convertibles don't do well outboard back there for the same reason the GN doesn't.
T has gained less than two pounds in over two years. In those same two years, he's grown NINE inches! He's built like his daddy! At this rate D is going to catch up and kick him out of the ERF seats and I'll have to do a total swap putting D in the CA and XTSL and T in a MA ff and move a seat around for D.

Carrie_R

Great, I'm glad it stays for you! Not sure if they changed the divot (height, seat cushiness, etc) between years, if I'm Radian install challenged or if my kidlets are just rougher lol... it's great to know that people can try it without the LC first :)

The RF MA in the third row makes the second row seatback too upright? I don't think I install my second row FF seats with any recline (except when trying to eliminate Nautilus head slump) so maybe it's an issue of different seats.

The CCO might be worth a try, if you'd really like a RF seat in the third row. But not sure if it's worth another seat to you.

If you try the CA FF I think your best bets next to it are RN, Britax old style convertibles and MR. But you might have success with something else, and if you do, I'd LOVE to hear about it! (FF CA is really the seat I need right now, and that would put me over the edge to buy it, lol!)

J's finally gained some height but between genetics and diet, he's just doomed. :(

I really wish we could play around with each others' Pilots, since they're supposedly the same body type. I thought the only difference was the sliding second row but maybe not.

rodentranger

Great, I'm glad it stays for you! Not sure if they changed the divot (height, seat cushiness, etc) between years, if I'm Radian install challenged or if my kidlets are just rougher lol... it's great to know that people can try it without the LC first :)

The RF MA in the third row makes the second row seatback too upright? I don't think I install my second row FF seats with any recline (except when trying to eliminate Nautilus head slump) so maybe it's an issue of different seats.

The CCO might be worth a try, if you'd really like a RF seat in the third row. But not sure if it's worth another seat to you.

If you try the CA FF I think your best bets next to it are RN, Britax old style convertibles and MR. But you might have success with something else, and if you do, I'd LOVE to hear about it! (FF CA is really the seat I need right now, and that would put me over the edge to buy it, lol!)

J's finally gained some height but between genetics and diet, he's just doomed. :(

I really wish we could play around with each others' Pilots, since they're supposedly the same body type. I thought the only difference was the sliding second row but maybe not.

If I don't have the second row seatback clicked back at least a click or two, YDS doesn't have very much leg room and I find I can get a tighter ff install if I install with the seatback reclined, then pull it forward after the CRS is installed. I'm kind of a stickler for rock the car installs for my own vehicle.

I really don't have a strong enough need for more than 3 rf seats in my car at once to warrant buying a niche seat like the CCO.
Son of a monkey's uncle! I have access to my nephew's CA today and obviously my RN, but my CA is in DH's car, so I still won't get to try the CA/RN/CA 3 across in the third row! Stink on a stick! I'll try to try this weekend at a family event where we're all going to geek out on carseats. I'm thinking about taking each seat I have with me and doing trials and pics in an 04 Expedition, an 01 Odyssey and my Pilot with all of our combined seats. My other SIL will have a KF30, Vivo, Regent, and Monterey to add to my collection of seats to play with.

Carrie_R

You could try CA/RN on the 60, then take the CA out and try to get it put in on the 40... :whistle:

rodentranger

I could just barely get the CA & Rn to sit nicely next to each other on the 60. I dont think I would have been able to fit another CA on the 40 with it in there. Two RNs might work though.

Carrie_R

That's extremely helpful to know. (Like, it might save my sanity one day, lol.) Did you install them, or just get them to sit together on the seat?

Thanks!

Momto3Divaz

Very helpful thread!! I really would love a Pilot!! How is it getting the kiddies in and out of the Pilot? Jumping over seats and all?? How about the trunk space?? I have 1 in a backless booster, 1 in a high back booster, 1 in a Marathon FF, 1 in a Cosco Touriva. And Every other weekend we have a 5th in a Scenera. I will be buying new seats FINALLY when we get our new vehicle.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I had forgotten about this thread! It was a good one. Reminds me that I need to go out and play with my options for getting three seats in there.

Kat_Momof3

I'd like to see seatbelt kids (or small adults) in the seats... heck, I'd love to see tall guys in the seats with the headrests raised...

I had no idea the pilot was so roomy or held 8 passengers... if only it also came in a hybrid and I had the money to get a new car!

Lys

Senior Community Member
I'd like to see seatbelt kids (or small adults) in the seats... heck, I'd love to see tall guys in the seats with the headrests raised...

I had no idea the pilot was so roomy or held 8 passengers... if only it also came in a hybrid and I had the money to get a new car!

I have a 2006 and let me say it's not THAT roomy. It's not comfy at all for 8 passengers for a long trip. If you were just going somewhere quick in and out and only wanted to take 1 vehicle, sure.

The most people I've had in mine were......2nd row outboard 8yo DS in a Clek Olli, my mom center, my aunt outboard. 3rd row 17yo DS and 12yo DD. DH and I driver and passenger.

AnnieW625

Super helpful. I just posted a question about putting a True Fit Premiere behind the drivers side of my 06 Pilot (I am 5'6" and DH is 6') so I know there has got to be a way to try it in there, but it was really tight even with the seat up pretty far (it would be uncomfortable for me to drive) and the seat back not reclined at all (and I keep it very minimally reclined). Can anyone help me here?

erikanohelani

THANK YOU! My mom has the exact same Pilot and I have NEVER been able to get the Radian in the third row. I will go over the tips you mentioned next time I need to get a seat back there.

rodentranger

I was just thinking about this thread the other day! I figured out the difference between my 2nd row center seats and Carries and why I could install a RN there. I had installed an old style RN65, with the old boot, which is wider and doesn't slip into the divot. I could *not* install the new booted XTSL there without the LC!

Carrie_R

Super helpful. I just posted a question about putting a True Fit Premiere behind the drivers side of my 06 Pilot (I am 5'6" and DH is 6') so I know there has got to be a way to try it in there, but it was really tight even with the seat up pretty far (it would be uncomfortable for me to drive) and the seat back not reclined at all (and I keep it very minimally reclined). Can anyone help me here?

How upright do you have it? You can have it up to 35* (reclined from vertical,) I believe.

I'm not terribly familiar with the TFP -- I had a regular TF but can't recall it well. :eek: There's a ball (or bubble,) right? So is it in the more upright zone?

Erika, I hope the RN works for you. I figured out I can also have the second row back a click, and it doesn't lift the base off of the seat, but it does change the angle, which I don't think is allowed. (I'm a bit confused on that, to be honest.) The RN lives in that spot in the car for me :)

And old boot vs new boot makes it make sense, lol!

karlatta

Thank you so much! We just bought a 2006 Pilot last week, and now I know what exactly to try when I go start playing car seats!

rodentranger

Son of a monkey's uncle! I have access to my nephew's CA today and obviously my RN, but my CA is in DH's car, so I still won't get to try the CA/RN/CA 3 across in the third row! Stink on a stick! I'll try to try this weekend at a family event where we're all going to geek out on carseats. I'm thinking about taking each seat I have with me and doing trials and pics in an 04 Expedition, an 01 Odyssey and my Pilot with all of our combined seats. My other SIL will have a KF30, Vivo, Regent, and Monterey to add to my collection of seats to play with.

I tried this combo the other day. Too wide. I also couldn't get the XTSLs ti install well in any position in the 3rd row ff.

Cryssy Jane

bumping the awesomeness of this thread. I realize it's old but it hasn't been bumped in a while and answered quite a few of my questions.

Carrie,
Do you think it's possible to get 2 rf rxts and a rf blvd 70 in the third row (with or without AAs)? Also not familiar with the second row, how likely would it be to get 3 ff seats in the 2nd row (currently have 2 fr85s, and the 3rd kiddo is currently rf but has been asking more frequently to ff).

I've been looking for a daycare only vehicle and love the idea of 6 TAs! I was looking at a 2006-2010 toyota sienna but I hate vans and would rather not go a van route if I don't have to. Thoughts?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC