high back vs low back booster -7yr old

ADS

YinzerMama

I think it really depends on the car and the kid. I think a low back CAN work for a 7yo. My oldest was off the charts tall and by 7 the high back of his graco had the belt at a dangerous position for him. He was well enough behaved to stay in place. I really don't think the back is so much about safety at that point as it is positioning.

I hope to keep my girls in a high back longer but it is purely for comfort not safety. If the seat belt fits it fits IMO.

creideamh

I dunno, I like to think HBBs provide some SIP (particularly in cars with no side airbags.) If the kid is tall enough to reach the airbags, can stay in place, and the seatbelt fits without an adjuster, then I'm fine with a backless whenever. My 8 y/o cousin still prefers a HBB for ease of sleeping, though.

Heather86

I let ds switch to a backless in my moms car and his carpool booster is as well. I think I'll let him switch in my car and so's car before school starts. He never sleeps in the car unless we are on long trips in which case I'll put the back on. He sits well and always pay attention to his seat belt he's seen a few crash test videos lol He is 7y5m 52in and 51lbs

Athena

Some kids strongly prefer the comfort of having a back, so I'd make sure to check with the kid. ;)

aeormsby

I think my 7yo DD prefers her HBB for every day driving for comfort. But I have no problem/concern with her using a NBB when it's more convenient (using our 3rd row when family is visiting, flying, or carpooling. I'd be fine with it full time if there was no concern about staying in position or sleeping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC