High back booster for non-removable headrest that causes a gap

Amnjcl

I purchased a Britax Highpoint for my very petite 8 year old daughter (just under 4ft tall and less than 50 lbs) to finally switch to a booster.
She likes it a lot and it fits well in my car (Honda Accord) but I had to remove the headrest for the booster back to sit flat against the car.

I was about to buy a second Highpoint for my husband’s car (Honda Clarity), but when I tried it I realized that the headrests are not removable at all. They tilt forward and can’t be adjusted in any way.

The Highpoint had a gap behind the headrest *exactly* like the picture in the manual of what isn’t allowed. 0996ED8F-ACFC-46AF-8143-835E09621B6E.jpeg

I’ve been desperately searching for an alternative high back booster that would work in this situation. I saw some old posts mentioning the Clek Oobr but looking at the most recent user manual, it seems to no longer allow any gaps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try? I don’t feel like my daughter is ready for a booster without a back yet. She’s been in a forward facing harnessed car seat up until now!

Thanks in advance!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I purchased a Britax Highpoint for my very petite 8 year old daughter (just under 4ft tall and less than 50 lbs) to finally switch to a booster.
She likes it a lot and it fits well in my car (Honda Accord) but I had to remove the headrest for the booster back to sit flat against the car.

I was about to buy a second Highpoint for my husband’s car (Honda Clarity), but when I tried it I realized that the headrests are not removable at all. They tilt forward and can’t be adjusted in any way.

The Highpoint had a gap behind the headrest *exactly* like the picture in the manual of what isn’t allowed. View attachment 7319

I’ve been desperately searching for an alternative high back booster that would work in this situation. I saw some old posts mentioning the Clek Oobr but looking at the most recent user manual, it seems to no longer allow any gaps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try? I don’t feel like my daughter is ready for a booster without a back yet. She’s been in a forward facing harnessed car seat up until now!

Thanks in advance!
Hi. I would look at the Nuna AACE, the Maxi-Cosi RodiFix and RodiSport, and the Peg Perego Flex 120. They've all been approved for my Tesla Model X which has the same issue.

Amnjcl

Hi. I would look at the Nuna AACE, the Maxi-Cosi RodiFix and RodiSport, and the Peg Perego Flex 120. They've all been approved for my Tesla Model X which has the same issue.
Thank you for the reply.

Interesting. When you say they’re approved, are they approved by Tesla? Or some other organization?

And by approved does it mean that a gap behind the headrest is allowed?

I actually have the RodiFix packed up ready to return because we tried it in my Accord to see if it was easier for my daughter to buckle herself but it wasn’t. I guess I should pull it back out and see how it fits in the Clarity.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

The Highpoint had a gap behind the headrest *exactly* like the picture in the manual of what isn’t allowed. View attachment 7319

Thanks in advance!

A backless booster or travel vest are also reasonable options to consider if you can't find a high back that works well for you. There's really no significant proven difference in safety from high back to backless, as long as the belt fits are good and there is adequate vehicle head support.

This is the popular vest option:

MelodyoftheForest

My kid of similar size and age just went from harness to backless booster without issue. We did go back to the harness for a long road trip, and have a Pioneer that can be used in such situations as a HBB in the future. If your child is compliant, I'd give a backless a try, especially if the other vehicle is mostly short trips.

Amnjcl

Thank you for the reassurance about backless. I feel better about them and will definitely look into one for travel.

We do go on long road trips sometimes in our Clarity and I want my daughter to be safe while sleeping. I don’t know how capable she is at remaining upright with a backless booster. We’ve never tried it!

In any case, I decided to try a harness booster combo seat after reading some other threads mentioning how the back shells are sometimes just a bit shorter than regular HBBs.

The Chicco MyFit happens to fit perfectly without a gap! I’m so glad because I wasn’t looking forward to buying and returning more HBBs if they didn’t fit.

So for anyone else in this situation, try out a harness booster like Chicco MyFit or Graco Tranzitions. Hopefully people will find this thread in search results and it will help out!
I will come back and also attach a picture of the fit when I get the chance.
F7EBA6CD-235E-4BB0-B153-93C2FE00FF89.jpeg

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thank you for the reassurance about backless. I feel better about them and will definitely look into one for travel.

We do go on long road trips sometimes in our Clarity and I want my daughter to be safe while sleeping. I don’t know how capable she is at remaining upright with a backless booster. We’ve never tried it!

In any case, I decided to try a harness booster combo seat after reading some other threads mentioning how the back shells are sometimes just a bit shorter than regular HBBs.

The Chicco MyFit happens to fit perfectly without a gap! I’m so glad because I wasn’t looking forward to buying and returning more HBBs if they didn’t fit.

So for anyone else in this situation, try out a harness booster like Chicco MyFit or Graco Tranzitions. Hopefully people will find this thread in search results and it will help out!
I will come back and also attach a picture of the fit when I get the chance.
View attachment 7320

Glad it worked for you! The Britax Grow With You is another one where the main shell is just short enough to fit under the fixed head restraint in some vehicles. Then, since the adjustable head rest in the car seat is forward an inch or two, it has just enough room to adjust to the taller settings.

Amnjcl

Yes the Britax Grow With You was another one I looked into (we love the Boulevard Clicktight) but it seemed to be the largest harness booster seat, so I decided against it.

If I ever get the chance to look at these in a store, I think I’d like to measure the lower shell height of each seat just to have and share that here heh.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yes the Britax Grow With You was another one I looked into (we love the Boulevard Clicktight) but it seemed to be the largest harness booster seat, so I decided against it.

If I ever get the chance to look at these in a store, I think I’d like to measure the lower shell height of each seat just to have and share that here heh.

I have all 3 on hand, that's a good idea for this week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC