Help with X5 and UPPAbaby MESA

gabbo

I have a couple babies on the way: a boy and a 2021 X5. Now I need help keeping them both protected. I see that the Nuna Pipa is recommended around here but we already bought the UPPAbaby MESA. I'm trying to figure out:

1. Where should I install the MESA? It's my understanding that the middle seat is the safest position but I read something about BMW not recommending it.
  2. Any recommendations on how to protect the car seat leather from indentations and stains? I've looked into protectors and mats but I see a lot of complaints about them either leaving indentations or stains, usually from the anti-slip material melting. I came across one that supposedly addresses the latter issue but I can't find it in Canada. Should I just use a towel?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a couple babies on the way: a boy and a 2021 X5. Now I need help keeping them both protected. I see that the Nuna Pipa is recommended around here but we already bought the UPPAbaby MESA. I'm trying to figure out:

1. Where should I install the MESA? It's my understanding that the middle seat is the safest position but I read something about BMW not recommending it.
  2. Any recommendations on how to protect the car seat leather from indentations and stains? I've looked into protectors and mats but I see a lot of complaints about them either leaving indentations or stains, usually from the anti-slip material melting. I came across one that supposedly addresses the latter issue but I can't find it in Canada. Should I just use a towel?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
This may answer your mat question; these are the only approved mats. They don't recommend a towel. https://support.uppababy.com/hc/en-...ext=You do not need a,Mat and Diono Ultra Mat.

You may have trouble installing center but can try it. I mean, you may have trouble outboard too. A lot of parents find the Mesa very difficult to get in at a correct angle with vehicle seats like yours. Seek a CPST's help if needed.

I would also warn you to watch very carefully for head slump and other fit issues. I've had trouble with babies' positioning in the Mesa.

gabbo

This may answer your mat question; these are the only approved mats. They don't recommend a towel. https://support.uppababy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045042994-Can-you-use-a-seat-pad-to-protect-vehicle-seats-#:~:text=You do not need a,Mat and Diono Ultra Mat.

You may have trouble installing center but can try it. I mean, you may have trouble outboard too. A lot of parents find the Mesa very difficult to get in at a correct angle with vehicle seats like yours. Seek a CPST's help if needed.

I would also warn you to watch very carefully for head slump and other fit issues. I've had trouble with babies' positioning in the Mesa.
Thanks! I wish I found this forum sooner. The MESA had so many positive reviews on other websites and forums so it's disappointing to hear that it's going to be a difficult fit in our car. I saw those recommendations in the link you shared but those specific models caused permanent seat indentations or stains according to some Amazon user reviews.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You really don't need anything under a car seat. Once it's removed and you condition leather (especially if you do that every few months) it should be back to normal. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC