Help with carset from mid 90s!!

bigdreamer121

I don't know the name of it, but I think I remember it saying "Gerry" on it. I can't really remember. My grandmother still has my booster seat from like 1994-1995, and is using it for my little cousin who is 5! I tried to convince her to trade it in at Babies R Us during the event, but she refused to. She said she doesn't see a difference between that one and the new ones.

The carseat comes in 2 pieces. There is a seat part and then there is something that lays over the lap. The seat belt lays across the top. The top piece can be taken off, and does not have to be used (or so she says). She said she doesn't even know where the top part is. I've explained to her that it is expired but she disagrees. I tried to look it up, but she won't even let me see it to verify the brand.

Does anyone know what I could possibly be talking about?

ADS

Laurelz

koda&phiasmama said:
This is what I was picturing !

My sister totally had one of those!!!! I forgot all about those! She's 25 btw... so grandma should defiantly NOT be using it! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

bigdreamer121

My sister totally had one of those!!!! I forgot all about those! She's 25 btw... so grandma should defiantly NOT be using it! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Lol, yea I just turned 20 and she doesn't want to give it up!

Thank you everyone!! That is definitely the carseat I was talking about!!!

mom of six

Here is a link to a thread that had a picture that car seat with the shield. It is in post #9. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=35250 Incidentally, it is (oops, was) proper to use it without the shield as long as it is used with a lap shoulder belt. I believe that I still have the instruction manual but it is too hard to get to right now.

So...with the Kiddy World Plus coming here...what is the difference? I remember that some of the booster seats with shields had really small shields and I understand why they were not great...but this booster looks rather substantial. At least as substantial as the KWP. I was very surprised to hear that the shield was coming back and even more surprised how excited people were about it.

soygurl

So...with the Kiddy World Plus coming here...what is the difference? I remember that some of the booster seats with shields had really small shields and I understand why they were not great...but this booster looks rather substantial. At least as substantial as the KWP. I was very surprised to hear that the shield was coming back and even more surprised how excited people were about it.

The KWP and other European style "Shield Boosters" are function very differently than the old, expired and recalled shield boosters. The old ones consisted of a fixed position, hard plastic bar ("shield"). Often with the seat belt would buckle over the shield, not touching the child. The shield would usually sit very far away from the child's body, and because of this, children were frequently ejected from the seat entirely (hence the recall). When kids were't ejected, their head, chest, and abdomen would slam against the shield, causing injuries.

European style shields are make of energy absorbing materials (rather than hard plastic). The shield is not connected to the booster, it sits on the child's lap, and is held in place against the child's body by the seat belt. Because of this, it functions much like a 5 pt. harness. If you've ever heard of the old Britax Laptop (discontinued long ago, and now all expired), it worked in a very similar way. Kiddy (and a couple other brands) has been making these "new" shield seats for years in Europe, and they have great crash test ratings. In fact, some say that they perform even better than a traditional FF 5 pt harness. I haven't seen conclusive proof of this, but considering how the shield works, it seems logically reasonable to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC