Help understanding the law please

ADS

Dillipop

What part?

Starting on Jan 1, if a child is under 2 and under 40 pounds and under 40 inches, the child must sit rearfacing. Between 2 and 8, a child must use a child restraint. Over 8 and through 15, a seatbelt is acceptable over 57 inches.

This is just a summary from a third party. The actual wording of the law may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillipop

So, all 3 have to be met to require rearfacing- under 2, under 40 lbs, and under 40 inches. As soon as one of those conditions is met, the child no longer HAS to resurface by law. So her child is over age 2, which makes that portion of the restraint law not apply to her. She does however, have to be in a restraint. At 3, that would either be a rearfacing restraint or a forward facing 5 point harness.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What part?

Starting on Jan 1, if a child is under 2 and under 40 pounds and under 40 inches, the child must sit rearfacing. Between 2 and 8, a child must use a child restraint. Over 8 and through 15, a seatbelt is acceptable over 57 inches.

This is just a summary from a third party. The actual wording of the law may be different.

So our law actually has nothing about 57 inches. The law states that the belt must fit properly.

Here's an accurate summary of current and future law:

Current Law
New Rear-Facing Law

A 3 year old must be in a properly used car seat in the back seat. That's the only restriction for that age.

Dillipop

So our law actually has nothing about 57 inches. The law states that the belt must fit properly.

Current Law

New Rear-Facing Law

A 3 year old must be in a properly used car seat in the back seat. That's the only restriction for that age.

Thanks. That's why I put the disclaimer- the chart she linked to has 57" in it for the 8-15 crowd.

I wish sites that summarize the laws would put links directly to the full law.

lanwenyi

Current Law
New Rear-Facing Law

Are those flyers available in Spanish???

I'd love to get them approved by my district and handed out at my school (where 2nd graders are holding babies in their laps in the front seat, no one wears a seat belt, and 4-6 kids climb into a 5 passenger car that's already holding 2 adults)

ETA: I found the first one!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC