Help me fit all of my kids in my van!

M

MG323

I have six kids and am trying to get everyone to fit in our minivan. I think that a Ford Transit may be in our future, but I'd like to put that off as long as possible. I'm willing to buy new seats, even expensive seats, if we can make our van work. We drive a 2009 Honda Odyssey with eight seats. Here's the info on the kids:
DD1: Age 14, wears a women's size 4-6 but has broad shoulders. Gets carsick easily, so must sit in middle row.
DD2: Age 12, 5'3"ish. Doesn't need a booster in any of the Odyssey's seats but is still narrow enough to fit easily between two carseats. Is responsible enough to buckle in younger siblings in third row.
DD3: Age 9.5. Average height but super skinny. Currently in an Evenflo Spectrum because a backless booster is so uncomfortable in her spot, the awkward middle seat of the middle row in the 2009 Odyssey. Gets carsick easily, so must sit in middle row. Could do a highback or backless booster.
DD4: Age 7. Slightly small for her age, wears a size 6. Just moved from a Chicco Nextfit to a highback Turbo Booster to save space. Could be harnessed or in a highback booster.
DD5: Age 4.5. Somewhat above average height, average weight. Just switch from rearfacing to forward facing in her Chicco Nextfit. Probably past rearfacing, so a forward facing harness.
DD6 will turn 2 next week. She is only 23 lbs. but is about to outgrow her Chicco Fit2 by height. Needs to be in a rearfacing convertible. I'm willing to use something that she'll outgrow in a year or two if necessary.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The easiest thing is probably to put 7, 12 and 2 year olds in the back.

Have you tried 9 year old on the middle middle seat without a booster? Kids tend to 5 step there early.

What's your total budget for new seats?

M

MG323

The easiest thing is probably to put 7, 12 and 2 year olds in the back.

Have you tried 9 year old on the middle middle seat without a booster? Kids tend to 5 step there early.

What's your total budget for new seats?
Thank you for your response! 9 yo is very slim and leggy and still needs a booster even in the middle seat. With 12, 7, and 2 in the third row, what carseat do you suggest for 2? That's our current arrangement (12 on the passenger side, 2 in the middle in her Chicco Fit2, 7 on the driver's side in her Turbo Booster), but I didn't think that I could make that work with a convertible.
We're willing to spend whatever we have to on seats. Whatever the cost, it will be cheaper than buying and putting gas in a bigger van. I'm also willing to put the 7 yo back in a harnessed seat if necessary. She's only 46-47" tall.

dnnash42

Can you give your kids weights?

Thank you for your response! 9 yo is very slim and leggy and still needs a booster even in the middle seat. With 12, 7, and 2 in the third row, what carseat do you suggest for 2? That's our current arrangement (12 on the passenger side, 2 in the middle in her Chicco Fit2, 7 on the driver's side in her Turbo Booster), but I didn't think that I could make that work with a convertible.
We're willing to spend whatever we have to on seats. Whatever the cost, it will be cheaper than buying and putting gas in a bigger van. I'm also willing to put the 7 yo back in a harnessed seat if necessary. She's only 46-47" tall.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Clek Fllo or Foonf will likely fit where the Fit2 does, though you MIGHT need a booster that's narrower at the base.

aporthole

Have you tried RF NextFit for 2yo 3P, 12yo 3C, 7yo 3D?

I know the NextFit isn’t the slimmest option but since you already have a couple of them, maybe at least give that a try and see if it comes close to working.

You could also likely do a slim FFing seat for 4yo instead of the 7yo in 3D. Either the Chicco MyFit or Graco Tranzitions SnugLock would likely work well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC