help me choose a new van

lotsolove

ok I am buying a new to me van. cash only so all have high miles so I need to know which will be more dependable in the long run.
03 mazda mpv with 127000 miles looks very nice noticed a tiny bit of rust around the base at the back wheel/door 4995

06 chevy uplander plush entertainment 157k miles looks bulky to me I didnt have a chance to drive but my dh likes it bc its a chevy/ 6450

2006 honda oddy 157k 5500/ drove it seems nice driver seat not as comfy as I expected but I am leaning toward this

2010 kia sedonia 110k miles all highway, 5400

oh my kids are 5 6 and 9 younger 2 are in skr's and and sometimes boosters. 9 is out of a booster.

any imput is appreciated!!!
lotsolove :D

Last edited:
ADS

tl01

Has the timing belt in the ody been done?

Which appears to be best maintained? How did the Kia get so many miles? Highway miles? Was the Kia driven for business or personal use?

Sorry.. Reread about the Kia. I would still want to know if it was hauling stuff or what?

MommyShannon

We have an '06 Ody and love it. We got it just short of 100,000 miles so DH did a bunch of preventative maint on it like the timing belts. It's been great for us with 3 kids. It has about 160k on it I think though it might be higher. What trim is it? The Touring model came with PAX tires that are crazy expensive and not very good.

lotsolove

the carfax doesnt show the timing belt has been changed on the oddy.
the kia belonged to a regional restaurant manager so she traveled every day and yes probably hauled stuff but I imagine nothing heavy enough to hurt it.

tl01

The timing belt is expensive so I would factor that into the price unless you have a way of getting it done for less. With the Kia... If she was hauling heavy stuff... I would just be worried about the transmission... And the suspension having premature age.

Also.. The ody I believe is in the temperamental transmission model year window. Does the car fax say anything about it?

tl01

the carfax shows the only thing that has been replaced on the van was the battery and power steering pump. 1 owner

Well... If you opt for the ody... I would have a trusted mechanic look it over and do the timing belt immediately. I think the mileage window is already up for it. There's no warning before it goes and if it does... The engine is toast.

lotsolove

what are the feelings on the mazda? I dont know that much about that brand.

also I found a 02 nissan quest se with 103k for 6990.

I dont have any extra to put into repairs so I am trying to find something that will go at least a little while before I have to do any major repairs.

sunnydayz

Is there any way to have the Honda checked out by a mechanic? I would definitely be leaning toward the Honda out of those choices.

I believe the timing belt is a non-interfering belt on the Odyssey, which means if it breaks it doesn't hurt the engine it just stops the car.

We recently had our timing belt and water pump (should be replaced together) at the dealership for under $700 total.

tl01

Is there any way to have the Honda checked out by a mechanic? I would definitely be leaning toward the Honda out of those choices.

I believe the timing belt is a non-interfering belt on the Odyssey, which means if it breaks it doesn't hurt the engine it just stops the car.

We recently had our timing belt and water pump (should be replaced together) at the dealership for under $700 total.
I'm pretty sure the 2006 ody has an interference engine and it would lead to huge bills if the timing belt went before it was replaced.

jjordan

I would do the Kia. A regional restaurant manager probably put on all those miles traveling to various restaurants in her region; I can't imagine why she would be hauling stuff in it...?

Keep in mind that with private-party sales (though I don't know which, if any, of these are private party), cash often talks BIG and you might get a good deal if you bring a wad of $100 bills with you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC