Help me arrange 5 in Suburban...saying goodbye to the minivan

Marvin711

Just purchased 2017 Suburban, switching from our 2015 Ody. I'm a little apprehensive after 3 Ody and 2 Siennas over past 10 years, but we are busting at the seams whenever we go anywhere and with big kids sports and equipment this became best option. Let's take a moment to mourn the loss of power sliding doors though...

Purchased a 7 passenger, so captain chairs in middle row. Currently have 2 littles in Recaro's Prosport (?) (the forward facing harness to booster) that would like to put in 3rd row with someone in middle BUT those don't leave much shoulder room probably doable but just exploring options, we really love the seats though. I'm willing to buy Radian's if we have, we've had them before and they aren't my favorites, but what other options do I have? 12 YO would prefer seat in captains chair since it's heated. lol We have several Britax convertibles, assorted boosters but will buy whatever we need to for maximum comfort and spaciousness. Pics of similar arrangements would be great!

12 YO - 105 lbs, 5'1", belt
8.5 YO- 65lbs, LBB occasional HBB for travel
6 YO (almost) - Recaro (harnessed), 42lbs, 43 in - we've been discussing moving her to HB booster for daily use and keeping harness for long trips, she does good when we've tried booster but just not sure if I'm ready for that switch. can buckle/unbuckle self
(newly) 3 YO - 40lbs, 38 in - giant child :) also harnessed in Recaro, cannot buckle or unbuckle unassisted
15 month old - RF in Britax Boulevard, 25 lbs, 32 inches

ADS

mamah

Is the 2017 wider in the third row then older models? We had two radians in the third row, with the center open and it was very tight. Only the smallest child could fit there. I had to wedge the bubble bum in. So we put the radian center, and two low back boosters outboard. I put the second radian in a captains chair.

Do you have three head rests across the third row?

Eta: just saw your two youngest can't buckle independently... So I would put them in the captains chairs.

Marvin711

From what I've read they made it a bit wider starting with the 2015, this one is 2-3 inches wider than our van's 3rd row. In theory, if I went with Radian's they are 2.5 inches narrower than the Recaro's which would gain us 7-8 inches total space from what we switched from, the Recaro's work on the 3rd row with 12 year old in the middle, it's just a bit tight. There is no headrest but high setback, so he's ok there for a few more inches.

MamaChirpy

From what I've read they made it a bit wider starting with the 2015, this one is 2-3 inches wider than our van's 3rd row. In theory, if I went with Radian's they are 2.5 inches narrower than the Recaro's which would gain us 7-8 inches total space from what we switched from, the Recaro's work on the 3rd row with 12 year old in the middle, it's just a bit tight. There is no headrest but high setback, so he's ok there for a few more inches.

Would you mind measuring the third row width? Like the width across the seat?

MamaChirpy

I would do 12 YO and 8.5 YO outboard on third row. Put 6 year old in center between them.

3 YO and baby in Captain's chairs.

OR: put two seats side by side on third row. That would require buying new seats and experimenting with what fits back there. Leave 8.5 YO outboard on third row. That way he has a headrest even after he gets too tall for the middle.

I don't think the Graco Tranzitions installs well on the third row. You might check it out, though, I could be remembering wrong. A Harmony Defender is also a more narrow, harnessed seat. There are not a lot of narrow options unfortunately. Radians definitely install well on the third row.

I loved those Recaro seats when I had a Suburban as well. They fit very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin711

Yes, I will measure seat, we test drove for a day and played with seats, but then ordered a different interior color, so don't take delivery on ours until this weekend!
I may just put older 3 in back, it really does make the most sense. 12 year old really doesn't want that but may have to deal. I've never seen a Defender, might check that out. I have a radian in my target cart right now but have not pulled trigger.

MamaChirpy

Yes, I will measure seat, we test drove for a day and played with seats, but then ordered a different interior color, so don't take delivery on ours until this weekend!
I may just put older 3 in back, it really does make the most sense. 12 year old really doesn't want that but may have to deal. I've never seen a Defender, might check that out. I have a radian in my target cart right now but have not pulled trigger.

Yay! Come back and show us pics!

mamah

I will say the radians do not fit all the way to the out sides of the back row... If that makes sense. There is an inch or two of suburban past the radians laterally, giving a smaller space in the middle.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Marvin711

Picked up Suburban yesterday!!
Ended up installing one Recaro third row outboard, for almost 6 year old, 8 and 12 year old in that row too.
Then RF Boulevard on one Captain Chair and the other Recaro on other.
Have not measured seat, forgot yesterday, will do today!

Things I'm running in to- Got nice,solid seatbelt install on that 3rd row Recaro. But she is hating on the change of beltpath already and feeling it behind her more. She's 42lbs now so I think we can no longer use LATCH anyway right? I think a HBB would be an option but I worry about that "step down". We have a Recaro one and a Parkway SG though. Or can buy another seat for her..?

I don't love all the front/back space taken up by the Boulevard but I think he's probably too big for something like CCO? (25lbs, 32inches)

MamaChirpy

Picked up Suburban yesterday!!
Ended up installing one Recaro third row outboard, for almost 6 year old, 8 and 12 year old in that row too.
Then RF Boulevard on one Captain Chair and the other Recaro on other.
Have not measured seat, forgot yesterday, will do today!

Things I'm running in to- Got nice,solid seatbelt install on that 3rd row Recaro. But she is hating on the change of beltpath already and feeling it behind her more. She's 42lbs now so I think we can no longer use LATCH anyway right? I think a HBB would be an option but I worry about that "step down". We have a Recaro one and a Parkway SG though. Or can buy another seat for her..?

I don't love all the front/back space taken up by the Boulevard but I think he's probably too big for something like CCO? (25lbs, 32inches)

Was the Recaro installed with a seatbelt previously or LATCH? She may get used to it and not notice it anymore.

pooh136

Yes. Beginning halfway through 2014 there are now 3 tether anchors on the third row. ❤️
That's great! Hopefully Chevy will continue to add top tethers (and maybe even center headrests) to their other SUVs. I just traded in my 2015 Traverse for a new Pacifica mainly because of the headrest/top tether limitations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC