Help convince someone that

jess71903

Ambassador
Not trying to sway you from a van, but I have a 2005 Expedition that I love. It has adjustable headrests in the outboard seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. The 2nd row center is a bump in the seat that's not tall enough for me (5'7") but is about right for my short mom. There's nothing center 3rd row but they are all shoulder belts. I have gotten 4 adults and 4 kids (2 FF harness, 1 hbb, 1 seatbelt) in mine, and while I wouldn't want to ride that way for hours on end, it was fine for back and forth to the park when we went to Universal with friends. There is LATCH in all 3 center row positions, and a top tether center of the 3rd row. When we had all of those people in there, we also had my City Elite (with wheels removed), an umbrella stroller, and various backpacks behind the 3rd row. Again, not ideal, but it worked.

ADS

CarSafetyGuy

Holy sh#% ba&$s that is insane. What link did you look this up on? That is so crazy! I got the chills. Here I am thinking I am way safer and I am actually way less safe :(

The IIHS status reports are generally available on the IIHS website (specifically, at www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates). However, the old status reports aren't available at the moment. I've been in touch with them and they said they expect to have them back up in a while. The specific Status Report is Volume 42, No. 4.

But yes, bigger vehicles aren't necessarily safer ones; it depends on the safety features present in the vehicles, as well as on how they're driven.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A 2006 Sedona would be safer than an older Suburban, and it would be cheaper to gas up and maintain. You'd have enough seats and enough space. InformedForLife.org rates the 2006 Sedona as 50 (Better than Average and Best 2% for 2003-2010) and the 2004 Chevrolet Suburban as 144 (Worse than Average and Worst 10% for 2003-2010) -- lower scores are safer.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
A 2006 Sedona would be... cheaper to.... maintain.

I agree with all the other points and I definitely agree with the safety of newer vehicles, but I'll be honest and admit that it is NOT likely cheaper to maintain. My sis has a 90 Burb. She bought it for me for 1000 bucks in 05 and it's been floating back and forth between us for 9 years. It's honestly the most reliable and cheap vehicle either of us has had. Between the 2 of us, we have maybe 500 in parts/repairs/maintenance into it. We had an electrical thing in 07 that turned out to be a shorted "hey you left your headlights on dummy" buzzer, a starter, and oil/tires. BIL boxed the linkage with stuff he had laying around and I fixed a torqued rear differencial cap (that I caused through an inaccurate estimate of rock height) by banging the crap out of it with a hammer. Budget friendly, it is.

A 93 American vehicle is a lot more home mechanic friendly than a 05 anything foreign.

seb3244

Not trying to sway you from a van, but I have a 2005 Expedition that I love. It has adjustable headrests in the outboard seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. The 2nd row center is a bump in the seat that's not tall enough for me (5'7") but is about right for my short mom. There's nothing center 3rd row but they are all shoulder belts. I have gotten 4 adults and 4 kids (2 FF harness, 1 hbb, 1 seatbelt) in mine, and while I wouldn't want to ride that way for hours on end, it was fine for back and forth to the park when we went to Universal with friends. There is LATCH in all 3 center row positions, and a top tether center of the 3rd row. When we had all of those people in there, we also had my City Elite (with wheels removed), an umbrella stroller, and various backpacks behind the 3rd row. Again, not ideal, but it worked.

I will have to look at these as well. Great to know about the head rests and the latch. I hope that 2005 isn't out of our price range.
Thanks for the advise :)

gagenivy

One thing about mini van vs suburban (I have had both) is that it is much easier for a child or children to play in the cargo area while also changing a diaper in the cargo area. When traveling I much preferred that over going into a strange restroom.

msg221

For your situation with your DD and baby on the way, plus needing the room for when your sister and nieces are with you, I'd also look at a minivan. I loved the 2004 Sienna that was in our family. First my parents, then my brother, until it got totaled last month. It's a safe vehicle as my brother walked away from the accident unhurt. The side curtain airbags deployed after he was T-boned on the passenger side.

I have driven it many times and we took many road trips in it. It was comfortable and lots of cargo room. It was great when my godchildren were infants. So easy to install theri infant seats in and haul all of the associated baby gear!

After seeing your truck and how high up it sits, I can't imagine loading kids in that all the time!

seb3244

So I the 1999 expedition will be what I am driving. dh gets a company vehicle soon so he will no longer need his expedition.

Here is my question now what do I do with the back passenger seats? There are 8 seats total 6 in the back and only 2 have head rests.

I need to fit 4 car seats but all the car seats require a head rest. I called ford and they seriously suck a$$ and are not helpful at all. I can't have been the 1st mom with a family vehicle that needs headrests.

Maybe I'll end up selling this expedition to get a minivan or a suburban but for at least a little while I need this to work.

My nieces are 4 and 6.5 and will be in the 3rd row. They each have a nautilus for their car but I would like to keep some seats in there permanently for them to use when they are with me. I have a nextfit that I will use for the 4 yr until my 22 month old out grows her britax advocate and needs the nextfit to rf longer. So I will probably buy a hb booster for the 6.5 yr old.

Does anyone know what to do since there are no head rests on that row?
Thanks

Keeanh

So I the 1999 expedition will be what I am driving. dh gets a company vehicle soon so he will no longer need his expedition.

Here is my question now what do I do with the back passenger seats? There are 8 seats total 6 in the back and only 2 have head rests.

I need to fit 4 car seats but all the car seats require a head rest. I called ford and they seriously suck a$$ and are not helpful at all. I can't have been the 1st mom with a family vehicle that needs headrests.

Maybe I'll end up selling this expedition to get a minivan or a suburban but for at least a little while I need this to work.

My nieces are 4 and 6.5 and will be in the 3rd row. They each have a nautilus for their car but I would like to keep some seats in there permanently for them to use when they are with me. I have a nextfit that I will use for the 4 yr until my 22 month old out grows her britax advocate and needs the nextfit to rf longer. So I will probably buy a hb booster for the 6.5 yr old.

Thanks

For now you can get away with highbacks that don't require headrests, like a Turbo.

Is this your own personal vehicle? For future use would you be willing to retrofit headrests? Here's my post: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2642431&postcount=2

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Thanks

Nautiluses, Nextfits, and Advocates do not require headrests. Some highbacked boosters do not either.

DawgDad

TBH, that's about the only positive a giant SUV like the Suburban has over a minivan. While it's much higher to get to than that of a minivan, the flat bed with all 3 rows are up, is slightly larger. Then again, the entire vehicle is a foot or more longer and new with like for like $15-20K more. The Tahoe is the comparable in price SUV to a minivan (especially to the Odyssey), but it has a non-existent cargo area.

But CarseatSafetyGuy has it nailed. SUVs, especially older ones, have very little safety standards built in them. They didn't have to back then...but minivans did and still to this day are much safer vehicles.

In the end, if you live off road somewhere remote, have 5 kids and always need to tote a dog crate or lots and lots of cargo on the regular...then you need to spring for a huge SUV. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense to not look at a more sensible vehicle for your family that will last you longer, offer more convenience & safety, and cost less to maintain & run over the long haul.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC