Question HBB vs NBB

mping

Is there that much of a difference between a high back booster and a no back booster in terms of safety?

ADS

Brianna

When transitioning from a 5 point harness to a booster, it is generally recommended to start off with a high back because it can provide a physical reminder for the child to stay in place. Some children prefer to stay in high back boosters until they are outgrown for comfort, or to have something to lean against while sleeping. In some cases high back boosters can position the shoulder belt better than a backless, even when using the belt positioning strap included with the backless booster.

This quote is from a 2009 study
Among children who were restrained in BPB seats, there was no evidence of a difference in the performance of backless versus high-back boosters.
http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/

MommyShannon

I agree. When DD moved to a booster at 6, she did well and fit well in high back boosters. We had one no back booster we used when we had a tight spot one day. The shoulder belt didn't fit as well so we had to use the extra clip to position it (a pain!) and she didn't stay in position well. I sat beside her and constantly had to make her sit upright. Now at 7.5 she sits better and fits better so I'm ok with it when needed. So while theoretically they are just as safe, my DD's fit and behavior made it unsafe.

mping

Thanks! That was my hunch. My daughter is almost 7 and almost outgrowing her Frontier so just looking at our options.

mommyfrog

It can make a difference in side impact crashes.

"The risk reduction provided by booster seats in side-impact crashes varied by booster seat type: 4-to 8-year-olds riding in high back booster seats were at a 70 percent reduction in injury risk, while those in backless boosters did not experience a statistically significant risk reduction as compared with seat belts alone."

Taken from here. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050913083440.htm

Brianna

It can make a difference in side impact crashes.

"The risk reduction provided by booster seats in side-impact crashes varied by booster seat type: 4-to 8-year-olds riding in high back booster seats were at a 70 percent reduction in injury risk, while those in backless boosters did not experience a statistically significant risk reduction as compared with seat belts alone."

Taken from here. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050913083440.htm

The carseatblog.com article linked above addressed this study. The same core authors released new information showing no difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC