HBB Recommendation

bella_1818

I'm shopping for a high back booster for occasional use in a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The headrest is missing from the captain's chair where the booster will be used.

Wish List:
* Does not require vehicle's headrest behind the booster seat.
* Back of booster stays connected to seat when it is moved. It will be moved frequently and I don't want the back to pop off or wobble around while it's being moved.

Occupant:
8.5 year old, 50lbs, on the top harness slot in the Britax Frontier CT.

*Because this is an occasional use seat, I would prefer to shop in the mid to low end price range.

ADS

abigaylebelle

How long do you need this seat for this seating position? If it will be a while I'm thinking you will want something tall. Perhaps a parkway?

The new turbos don't fall apart easily but I don't know how much time the child would fit given that she is at the top of the frontier harness. Same for the evenflo amp.

Have you looked into getting a replacement headrest?

Dillipop

http://www.psci.net/minivans/Seats.htm

This website has headrests for $25 plus shipping. Based on the fact that the child is outgrowing the frontier harness, getting a headrest and a backless booster is pretty much your only long term option. And it will be less expensive than the parkway or Recaro booster.

Te frontier itself makes a tall booster without needing vehicle support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athena

on the top harness slot in the Britax Frontier CT.

This is the reason for concern that the child would outgrow HBBs soon because the top FR slot is about the same as some HBBs (e.g. Gracos) and only an inch shorter than the Parkway. However, you don't say it's outgrown, only that they're on the top slot, so they might have another inch of growth, two inches in the Parkway, and that could last a while. It's hard for me to imagine a kid who's only 50 pounds not having a good HBB option, but maybe they have a long torso.

Or maybe the head rest plus NBB is best. I know nothing about retrofitting head rests. I just know about fitting taller kids in HBBs, so I'm trying to help with that. HTH.

bella_1818

Thanks for the help! I'm out of my depth shopping for an economy booster. My DH and I both have Frontier CT that we'll use as a booster, but I just can't justify the cost for Grandma's car as infrequently as it will be used..

DS is all torso and rail thin; loads of sports and fussy eating.

Athena

Thanks for the help! I'm out of my depth shopping for an economy booster. My DH and I both have Frontier CT that we'll use as a booster, but I just can't justify the cost for Grandma's car as infrequently as it will be used..

I've got one of those long, skinny kids myself. The only other tall HBB not requiring vehicle head rest support I can think of is the Recaro Performance (I think that's the name ... the latest one), but that's not really an economy either and isn't taller than the PKWY.

Sounds like a tough challenge. I hope you figure it out.

Dillipop

This is grandma's car? Does she have the headrest somewhere or is it lost? Are there headrests in other seating positions? Can he be moved to one of those spots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bella_1818

This is grandma's car? Does she have the headrest somewhere or is it lost? Are there headrests in other seating positions? Can he be moved to one of those spots? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She has the headrest, but the sleeve into which it fits is worn out and it won't lock into an upright position. I found an ooooooold dead thread on here where someone was able to get the part for $12 dollars, so I'll defiantly look into that.

Grandma has Aspergers. All other seating positions have headrests, but in Grandma's mind, this is the only seat that DS can use. For DS to sit in the other captain's chair, and RF DD to sit in the broken chair, she would have to adjust the recline of the front passenger seat. For DS to sit on the back bench, she would have to move her rain jacket, because that's where she keeps it. It's really frustrating. It looks like I'll either get her seat fixed and buy a backless booster, not get the seat fixed and buy a $$high back booster, or tell her she can't transport him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC