have 10K to spend on a "new" car. What to get?

bethng

I totaled my van this summer. I have 10K (maybe a little more) to spend on a "new to me" car. I dont want another van. I really want a subaru 4wd something. Stick shift or automatic. Doesnt matter. Must be LATCH equiped with 3 belt/shoulder belts across the back. Open to other suggestions but I have always wanted a 4wd car. And good gas milage is a must! I got 17mpg on my van. Looking for the high 20's to low 30's if possible. Suggestions?

ADS

tesslouise

My mom had a Subaru station wagon for the AWD but it didn't hold up very well. Now she drives a Toyota Matrix with AWD. I'm sorry, I don't know what year hers is. It has two sets of Latch in the backseat and three lap-shoulder belts, if I remember right.

scariestone

Subarus have had all lap/shoulder belts for a long time now so that shouldn't be a problem. The budget and mpg may be. Anything awd is going to get worse mpg than an equivalent 2wd car. My '11 forester gets 22mpg. :/ An impreza without all the sporty options would get closer to 30. Obviously its very area dependent but when we were car shopping '05 foresters were 15k, outbacks were more. Subarus usually go for a premium because they last forever. Car dealerships will still sell them with 300k miles on them. Most(all?) audis are awd but you'd definitely be looking at older ones for 10k. Mazda5s come in awd but they are ridiculously hard to find. You could just poke around car dealerships and craigslist to see what you can find.

Brianna

My mom loves her Scion xD but I don't think it would be comfortable for 3 passengers in the back routinely. She usually gets around 35 mpg.

beetlemama

We just bought a 2004 Honda Pilot EX for $8900 this weekend and I :love: it! It's supposed to get around 20 mpg, so not awful for the size. Lap/shoulder belts and headrests in all 8 positions, and 6 tether anchors. I haven't looked into how many lower anchor attachments because I prefer to use a seatbelt install (find it easier and there's no question of weight limits). We have 4 WD. Oh, and BILs 2001 (I think that's the year, possibly 02) subaru outback gets similar gas mileage to our pilot. Smaller doesn't always mean more fuel efficient.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC