Question Harness pads on Diono Rainier

#1babysitter

Are they required for rear facing?? I can't find anywhere in the manual that talks about them but on the actual pad it says "use for children under 65 lbs". My daughter is 6 months and they are SO bulky on her and I feel like I cant get her straps tight enough with them on. I took them off just to see how loose her straps were and they are REALLY loose. Almost what it looks like when you put a heavy coat on a kid then take it off without loosening the harness.

ADS

jacqui276

IIRC, they are required forward facing, but not rear facing.

Considering they are crash tested with the seat and are quite dense, I would base tightness on them being on when doing a pinch test, and not worry if there is slack once removed (as long as my kid isn't riding in the seat with them removed and the harness slack, obviously). I feel like they wouldn't compress the same way as a heavy coat since they are quite firm.

#1babysitter

Thanks!! I just wasn't sure since they say to use for kids under 65 lbs and they include bigger/longer pads to use with kids over 65 lbs which look ridiculous but she probably will be in a booster by the time she weighs that much! Depending on her age of course. I think we will end up having to use them since without them the straps leave red marks on her neck.

image-998193475.jpg

Rm2000hg

Thanks!! I just wasn't sure since they say to use for kids under 65 lbs and they include bigger/longer pads to use with kids over 65 lbs which look ridiculous but she probably will be in a booster by the time she weighs that much! Depending on her age of course. I think we will end up having to use them since without them the straps leave red marks on her neck.

I hate the pads for the 65lb +. They are threaded through the slots and attach in the back so the part where the clip goes is forced to stay in the "correct" position, but it actually pushes the clip too high. I have to pull the clip down as far as I can every time she gets in and when we've gone on long drives, I have to stop to pull it back down because it risen up. It drives me nuts and I am so tempted to swap it out & use the <65% strap instead but I'm too much of an anxious rule follower to do so!

#1babysitter

I hate the pads for the 65lb +. They are threaded through the slots and attach in the back so the part where the clip goes is forced to stay in the "correct" position, but it actually pushes the clip too high. I have to pull the clip down as far as I can every time she gets in and when we've gone on long drives, I have to stop to pull it back down because it risen up. It drives me nuts and I am so tempted to swap it out & use the <65% strap instead but I'm too much of an anxious rule follower to do so!

Oh I can't imagine how annoying that must be!! When I took them out of the box I was so confused at how they were supposed to attach to the seat and after reading how thought it wad really dumb. I think kids that are that heavy are old enough to understand the chest clip needs to stay at arm pit level and don't need huge obnoxious pads to force it there!!

Dillipop

Oh I can't imagine how annoying that must be!! When I took them out of the box I was so confused at how they were supposed to attach to the seat and after reading how thought it wad really dumb. I think kids that are that heavy are old enough to understand the chest clip needs to stay at arm pit level and don't need huge obnoxious pads to force it there!!

The over 65 lb pads aren't to keep the chest clip in place. They help keep head excursion numbers down under federal limits as a child gets heavier. Definitely switch to the over 65 pads once your child reaches it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rm2000hg

The over 65 lb pads aren't to keep the chest clip in place. They help keep head excursion numbers down under federal limits as a child gets heavier. Definitely switch to the over 65 pads once your child reaches it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh - that's good to know!! Do you know how it work to do that?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC