Harmony folding booster

FedBaby

ADS

henrietta

I bought one today. I'm pretty pleased. I bought it for my 4.5 yr old, who is almost 38 lbs and 43 inches tall. We've been working on him learning to ride in a booster properly, b/c his grandmothers can't buckle/unbuckle the combo seats like the Maestro/Secure Kid/Nautilus. It's for occasional use, and he understands how he must sit and does very well.

This booster folds really easily, once you know how. It has really good belt fit. It's SUPER lightweight. And it is rated from 30-110 lbs, which is unlike some of the others out there that start at 40 lbs. That's one reason I didn't pick up an Evenflo Amp highback--it starts at 40 lbs. That and the belt fit didn't look as good on the lap belt.

The only part I'm not thrilled about, but it is a plus in some ways, is that it can be tough to get the shoulder belt in/out of the guide. But my kid can't remove it from the guide while he's riding, once I've put it in, so that's good for new booster riders, little stinkers, and grandparents! :).

And yes, I agree a 4 yr old should stay harnessed whenever possible, but for a travel seat and if it's not, this is a good, well fitting option.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, you really probably shouldn't. Several automakers forbid it and according to reputable researchers it can lead to a higher risk of submarining in a crash.

Do you have folded measurements? Does it fit in the carryon dimensions of most airlines?

henrietta

No, you really probably shouldn't. Several automakers forbid it and according to reputable researchers it can lead to a higher risk of submarining in a crash.

I'm assuming you mean my comment that Harmony *recommends*, not requires, locking the seat belt.

On page 24 of the manual, Harmony recommends locking the belt. I'm just pointing it out. ;) It does NOT say that it's incompatible in vehicles that have lightweight locking latch plates. How would locking the belt be different from lightweight locking latch plates in this circumstance?

http://www.harmonyjuvenile.com/uploads/instructions172.pdf

JOII

Can anyone who owns this measure how high the arm rests are? (base up to top of arm rest). I am wondering if these will fit in my three across but the arm rests look like they might be too high up. Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm assuming you mean my comment that Harmony *recommends*, not requires, locking the seat belt.

On page 24 of the manual, Harmony recommends locking the belt. I'm just pointing it out. ;) It does NOT say that it's incompatible in vehicles that have lightweight locking latch plates. How would locking the belt be different from lightweight locking latch plates in this circumstance?

http://www.harmonyjuvenile.com/uploads/instructions172.pdf

I'm aware that Harmony recommends it (in all their boosters) without mentioning that it's not allowed by several auto manufacturers. It's recommended by them to prevent belt entrapment and strangulation. Frankly, if children are impulsive/young enough that playing with the belt in this manner is an issue, the answer is not to lock the belt- it's to have the children in harnessed seats.

The difference between lightweight locking latch plates and a switched retractor is that the retractor is engaged in one case, and not engaged in the other. The research that has led to strongly-worded warnings not to lock the belt except when installing a child restraint was conducted specifically with a locked retractor. It doesn't apply to a non-engaged retractor with a locking latch plate.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have been searching for a seat that would work with a chunky-thighed child. Specifically, the problem the mom is having is squeezing the belt under the arm rest. We have tried a backless Turbo and a backless Evenflo Amp (or similar) with no real luck. But these arm rests look really high up and I wonder if that might solve the problem. Any chance for a side-by-side shot of the arm rests with a Turbo?

I wonder whether this will fit in my Civic next to the Radian... the other Holy Grail I've been searching for. *sigh*

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Why not try something that has flip-up armrests? The Cosco Pronto and Safety 1st BoostAir Protect do, and are cheap-ish, and wider for a larger child, and position the belt well on most kids in most vehicles...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC