Great combination seats - recs please

laurengt

What is/are your favorite combination seat(s)? Which are great in both harness and booster modes?

ADS

Suzibeck

I just recently got a Secure Kid 400. I have only used it harnessed so far but I have fed the seatbelt through on both my 4 yo and my 10 yo and it has a good fit on both. I love how easy it is to install in dh's Jetta because he takes it out all the time. It really helps to have a seat that goes in quickly and easily. Even my 10 can get a rock solid install with it. I love the thick harness straps, no bunching in the buckle tongues or twisting straps with this seat. The only problem I've had so far is that it tends to cut into dd's neck. She was exactly even with the second set of slots and I moved the harness up to the 3rd set and that eliminated most of the neck rubbing.

jujumum

My favorites are the following and why.

Nautilus
Easy to use & install
Love those steel bars
Kids love the cubbies
Covers easy to wash & hold up great
Not so great leg support or crotch strap length
My kids cannot unbuckle (can be good or bad)
Can use latch as booster

Frontier85
Not so easy to install but
Love the beefy design
Super leg support & multiple crop locations
Tall booster
My kids can unbuckle (can be good or bad)
Can use latch in booster

Maestro
Easy to use & install
Lightweight & airplane friendly
Hubby doesn't like continuous harness
My kids cannot unbuckle

Our Maestro is our spare & travel seat. Although spare covers are fun, I find that the Maestro as a spare is much better for us to use when washing covers.

Sorry to say that I haven't used any as a booster. I did test out the GN & FN. I felt the FN was a little wide for my skinny mini. The GN was ok, but not the best lap fit (our turbo & vivo fit better).

:D

Brianna

I've only had a Frontier 85 and an Argos.

I love how easy the Argos is to install with the seat belt. I dislike the new buckles, how difficult it is to loosen the top tether and LATCH strap, how easily the cover stains and there are only 4 positions for harness mode- that makes it look off when you have to move it up to the next position.

I love the smaller incremental adjustments on the Frontier, the push on connectors, the dual tether, the long belt path option, the material the cover is made out of (Maui) and the HUGS. I dislike the short belt path and how bulky it is.

J has head slump in both seats. Just for fun I put both in my car today to see which one he would pick to ride in and he rode in each once- I don't think he has any preference.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

jjordan

I love the hefty sides on the Recaro Prosport. We haven't used it in booster mode yet, but when I've seen it in booster mode, the belt fit has looked good. It worked better than a Frontier in our 3 across, which is what made the decision for us.

Spam

I have the frontier85, prosport, nautilus, and maestro. I haven't used any of them as boosters, but checked fit on the maestro and frontier85, both were good. DS1's main seats are the fr85 and prosport. I love the prosport, it contains him very well, is latchable in booster mode, I dislike the rule of removing toptether at 52lbs and have decided to continue to use it anyways and lack of cupholders. I haven't check the booster fit of it because he's no where near ready for a booster, I wish the top harness height was a little taller he has about 1" to go. The frontier85 has great leg support, cupholders, and comes in cow. The nauti is okay to me, he isn't able to do the new style buckle by himself, it sits up a little higher than the others. He's outgrown the maestro by weight, my neice uses it now, it's great little seat but I dislike the closeness of the harness straps.

Phineasmama

My top choice is the FR85. I got a Maestro for my CRV and really liked it but DS hated it and thought it was uncomfortable. He would cry if we drove over like 20 minutes in that seat.

I actually like the Nautilus a lot too, but I would only use it in certain vehicles where I knew they wouldn't have head slump. Like in my van, the seats are so angled that they install really reclined :)

Xandra

I've used a Nauti, Maestro, and Frontier. I've only used the Frontier as a booster. I like all of them, my only negative would be the closeness of the Maestro straps. I love everything else about all of them :)

Xandra, Foster Mommy to O, 8yrs-Parkway SGL, A, 5yrs-Frontier, and L, 14mos-RF Radian XTSL * Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Nisha

The only two I've owned are the FR85 and the ProSport, I love the prosport but not the FR85 so much. FR85 was fine in harness mode but I was not impressed with booster fit for my 5.5 yr old, the ProSport feels more solid and has an awesome booster fit!

laurengt

I think I'm most interested in the Frontier and the ProSport. Are these good for tall kids? I've heard the FR is but not about any others height wise. DS is very tall bur slim, so I don't want a seat he will quickly outgrow.

Spam

The frontier has taller top slots 20" vs the 18" on the prosport, it also has more leg support. Ds1 is very tall and fits well in both seats, I know the frontier will last him longer harness wise but that's why I have both ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC