Graco Nautilus

Mom2twins

I got the same reply from Donald De Gryse:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry, the Graco Nautilus car seat isn’t available in Canada yet as it still needs to be tested.We are hoping to see it on the shelves by the end of the year.

Thank you

Customer Service Dept.

Elfe Juvenile Products

1-800-667-8184

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is that the most optimistic news thus far? I'm okay with "end of the year" as the seat is on my Summer 2009 shopping list.

I was going to say you're impressively organized. :p Then I remembered that you're overseas and have to plan things out ahead to be able to get them when you need them.

Yeah, I think this is the most definite info so far since prior ones were when & if type ones. This one is more a when so they're at least admitting it's definitely going to arrive anyways. I'll take what I can get. :)

U

Unregistered

Hello, I have been lurking here. Needing a new seat for my 4 1/2 year old and hoping to get the Nautilus. I had an email this morning from Keisha at Elfe saying that the good news is the Nautilus has passed all the testing in Canada, but the bad news is that it probably won't be here before the end of the year. I am so frustrated that the seat is available in the US since February....I need that seat!

I had an email this morning from Keisha at Elfe saying that the good news is the Nautilus has passed all the testing in Canada, but the bad news is that it probably won't be here before the end of the year. I am so frustrated that the seat is available in the US since February....I need that seat!

Good grief! I know that writing manuals and coming up with bilingual labels can take a while, but if it's passed testing, it shouldn't take seven months or more for labels/manuals. I really hope DS doesn't have another torso growth spurt this year. We have about an inch in the Radian, so we're OK for now.

Neatfreak

I was going to say you're impressively organized. :p Then I remembered that you're overseas and have to plan things out ahead to be able to get them when you need them.

Ah, well, the post about "what convertible do I get for my infant who won't be born until three months after my seat-shopping window?" hasn't been written up yet LOL!

C

Carseat Frustration

Hi There, I just called Graco and asked when they expect the Nautilus to be ready for the Canadian market and she said they are hoping by fall it will be ready. This is so frustrating because I'm having a heck of a time trying to find the right car seat and when I saw this one I thought it was perfect. Any other recommendations if this doesn't ever come! I have a infant carrier that seats to thirty pounds so all I really want is a forward facing car seat that turns into a booster seat later on! Thanks for your input!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi There, I just called Graco and asked when they expect the Nautilus to be ready for the Canadian market and she said they are hoping by fall it will be ready. This is so frustrating because I'm having a heck of a time trying to find the right car seat and when I saw this one I thought it was perfect. Any other recommendations if this doesn't ever come! I have a infant carrier that seats to thirty pounds so all I really want is a forward facing car seat that turns into a booster seat later on! Thanks for your input!

Unless your child is short enough to last the SS1 until 30lbs or a bare minimum of 2yrs old, you'll need to be buying a convertible seat to use after the SS1. We strongly recommend rf'ing to the limits of the seat, which on most is 30lbs at present, although some are showing up rated to 35lbs now. Some kids will make it that long in the SS1, but most won't, so you'll need a seat that can be used both rf'ing and then ff'ing once the rf'ing mode is outgrown. Rf'ing is exponentially safer than ff'ing and children's spinal columns are not strong enough at 1yr old to withstand the crash forces of a large collision without risking severe long term disability and death. The spinal column doesn't finish fusing until sometime between the ages of 3 and 6 (varies by child,) and until that time, the spaces in the spinal column are able to stretch twice as far as the spinal cord can before breaking. And in almost all cases a broken spinal cord = instant death... Rf'ing prevents this injury, which is why we recommend keeping kids rf'ing to the limits of a convertible seat - unless a kiddo is short they won't make it to 30lbs in the SS1 since most seats are outgrown by height before weight. ;)

That's great to hear that they're saying more like fall now because that sounds a little earlier than what they were predicting before.

In terms of another combination seat, the Britax Frontier will be available within the next month. However, it has a 2yr old AND 25lb minimum requirement in order to use the seat. Britax is implementing the higher minimum weight & age limits on this seat to make more parents follow best practice and hopefully keep their kids rf'ing until at least 2 and 25lbs. I'll leave it at this since I'm not sure how old or big your child is, but feel free to start another separate post asking about seat selection and be sure to include your child's age and weight. Sometimes questions like this get lost in the midst of threads. :thumbsup:

Debn31

Well, for me, the other choice is the Britax Frontier (which is about $300)..
But I have a tall dude with a pretty long torso, so I need something that'll fit him. And I wanted the 5 pt harness as long as possible.

Fall huh? Well...I'm hoping we can hold out that long....
What I'd LIKE is to try both seats, and see what seems to fit better in our car, and fits him too.

Of course, a cheaper price is great, but for me the fit comes first (of course).

I guess if I needed to, I can still place an order for the Frontier, and then bring the boy down and sit him in it at the store first, to see how that looks.

It'd sure be nice, though, if I could try both at the same time and then decide.

I'll cross my fingers that the True Fit lasts a couple months!:eek: You never know with my oldest. He still goes through clothes faster than his 2 year old brother.

I guess if I REALLY fall in love with the Frontier we might not bother, but sure would be nice to have choice... :)

U

Unregistered

You know what bothers me. That we in this country are so arogant that we need to come up with our own version of safety rules that have to be different in some small point. We are really saying that 304,000,000 people in the US are idiots? Until our government says these seats are safe they must not be? I wonder how US parents would feel if we told them that. I am not an American, just someone using some plain logic and looking at the big picture. As for us, we will be purchasing the Britax Frontier or the Graco Nautilus in the US. I am tired of waiting for a french label.

Shanora

Its no different in the US, they can not use a seat thats doesn't have the US Marking on it.....
As for the 304 million people question.....maybe not...but there are reason's why canada has stricter policies in place.
I really don't think that Canada is that arrogant of a country, I think they we take great pride in how we try to keep out people safer.

Last edited:

canadiangie

You know what bothers me. That we in this country are so arogant that we need to come up with our own version of safety rules that have to be different in some small point. We are really saying that 304,000,000 people in the US are idiots? Until our government says these seats are safe they must not be? I wonder how US parents would feel if we told them that. I am not an American, just someone using some plain logic and looking at the big picture. As for us, we will be purchasing the Britax Frontier or the Graco Nautilus in the US. I am tired of waiting for a french label.

I know it sometimes seems like arrogance on the part of Transport Canada (really, I do), but this still isn't a reason to purchase a seat sold in the US. While I've been dreaming of a Britax Boulevard for, um, years now, it's just not worth the risk of not being able to file for damages should my child be injured. What I mean by this is...

Let's say you're driving one day and you're hit by a drunk driver (or anyone for that matter). Your child is riding in a seat sold in the US. Your child is injured. You live in a province that allows for collision related lawsuits. Your case makes it to court, you're all ready to advocate for your child and your family. The "bad guy's" lawyer reads that your child was riding in a seat sold in the US. The lawyer then makes the case that the child was injured because a) there was a collision, or b) the child was riding in a seat not approved for use in Canada (and therefore not tested to meet our standards). Sure you and I know the real answer, but in a court of law it comes down to reasonable doubt. It takes one tiny loop hole to lose a case. And that, is why, at least for me, it's not worth the risk. If someone hits me and my dd's are injured I need to have all my bases covered. I know being the ferocious mama bear that I am, I'd want to sue the pants off the "bad guy", AND win. :thumbsup: :mad:

tcottawa

Its no different in the US, they can not use a seat thats doesn't have the US Marking on it.....
As for the 304 million people question.....maybe not...but there are reason's why canada has stricter policies in place.
I really don't think that Canada is that arrogant of a country, I think they we take great pride in how we try to keep out people safer.

:thumbsup:

And, see my siggy...:whistle:

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Just as an aside - the testing for a 65 pound seat is not just the FMVSS testing. Up to a certain weight they must comply to the CMVSS so it's not as easy as it sounds. To test a seat that goes from 5-65 pounds takes 12 runs on the HyGe sled and the companies should do more than just 12! We also have the tether that is required whereas in the US they can remove the tether for upper weight seats if they are no using LATCH - Canada does not have that exemption. A tether is always required. Hope that clears things up - and I heard December......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC