Graco Nautilus

spcamno

I think a lot of you might have already read the thread on the new Nautilus by Graco.

I already email Graco and asked them about when will be the release date for Canadian market and I think several members already did that also.

Whoever interested in getting one should email Graco and tell them you are waiting for this to happen so it might help to speed up the process.

Not sure if I am allow to post their email address here but its readily available if you go the Graco Canada's site.

Let's bug them together and hopefully we can see this seat at our local stores soon!;)

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes, it's fine to post their email. I just quoted my post from the other thread below. I'd ask that nobody copy the email word for word even if you are a tech, but there are some ideas in it. I think emails that are individual carry more weight than ones that are identical. ;)

My email to them: (service@graco.net)

eta: The subject I put for the email was "Nautilus 3in1 Combination Seat"

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me if Graco plans to market this new seat in Canada in the near future?

I have seen pictures and information about it online and this seat seems to truly fill a need that parents with young children have. As a child restraint systems technician, I am often faced with the dilemma of recommending a few seats to parents that meet the needs they currently have in order to keep their children safe in the car. This seat would meet a need that no other seats currently available are able to and as such I foresee there would be a high demand for it.

I know based on some networking that the seat has been granted approval from Transport Canada and given the CMVSS authorization letter, so at this point it's a matter of when it will be marketed. My hope is that this will happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and checking into this matter for me.

(I got their email address off of their website.. I went to gracobaby.com and then to contact us and international contacts. ;))

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I heard back:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail your inquiry. After some research I found that there will be indeed a Graco Nautilus in Canada. It will most probably be available in WalMart by the end of the month. I hope this answers your question.

Take care,

Loves2sing

Oooh! That may mean it may be ready by the time my baby comes. Tht would mean I could possibly buy a Radian for travel and a Nautilus for everyday. hmmm, that could be nice! :)

Obviously Jenna would be in the nautilus, and tha baby would be in one of her Radians or marathon in the 2nd car.

Last edited:

April

I emailed them on Feb 4th, and go TWO replies:

"Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us with your enquiry. The Natilus car seat is unfortunately not available in Canada and we do not have a date of arrival as of yet.

I would not advise purchasing it in the U.S. The ones available in the U.S. have not been tested to our standards.

Best regards,

Allan Correia"

AND

"Good afternoon April,

Unfortunately, this model is not yet available in Canada. I can't yet say if and/or when it will be until it has passed Canadian testing.

Regards,
Keisha Loftman
Sales Assistant

Elfe Juvenile Products
5171 Thimens Boulevard
St. Laurent,QC
H4R 3C6

514-344-3533 ext 3006"

:( Booooo..... I need FOUR new seats and would love to get 4 of them!:thumbsdown:

mommycat

I emailed March 20th and got this on the 25th (from Donald, so yet another rep):
Thank you for taking the time to e-mail your enquiry. Regarding the
Nautilus Car Seat brand availability in Canada we regret to inform you
that any required testing on it hasn't been completed yet in Canada
therefore its availability hasn't been confirmed to us as of now.
We suggest that you follow-up its eventual availability in Canada on our
websites or by contacting our Consumer Services dept.

Thank you

Customer Service Dept.
Elfe Juvenile Products
1-800-667-8184

Purchase Accessories Online
Visit our website at
www.elfe.net/ www.graco.net

Apparently my email to service@graco.net went to Allan:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:54 PM
To: Allan
Subject: Graco Nautilus in Canada?

Last edited:

mommycat

Out of curiosity, who was the rep answering so positively?
I heard back:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail your inquiry. After some research I found that there will be indeed a Graco Nautilus in Canada. It will most probably be available in WalMart by the end of the month. I hope this answers your question.

Take care,

snowbird25ca

You know what just dawned on me, is that the required Canadian testing for the 65lb seats is completed at the same time as the FMVSS standards testing. Protocol is the same, test bench the same, as long as it meets our head excursion limit with the tether, then it passes pretty much from a crash test stand point anyways. So it must be a matter of stickers and manuals and right now they're a) overwhelmed by the demand in the US that they're focusing on that or b) just wanting the seat to suddenly appear in Canada the same way as it did in the US so are staying tight lipped about it.

But when you think about it, the standards part they're referring to can only be labelling and manuals. :rolleyes:

QuassEE

There's some question about the differences between CMVSS and FMVSS testing that have never been clarified, however. We don't know if CMVSS sites are still using the old test bench. Also--we do know that CMVSS testing is done with the older dummy (33lb) and not the newer dummy. I'd assume that independent, Canadian-certified testing would still need to be completed. That's been one of the huge issues with getting seats into the Canadian market all along--the expense of testing for the Canadian market, not just labels and manuals. In an ideal world, testing could be completed for both markets in one go but we know how likely it is that TC will become more flexible on the differences between our requirements and US requirements.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

There's some question about the differences between CMVSS and FMVSS testing that have never been clarified, however. We don't know if CMVSS sites are still using the old test bench. Also--we do know that CMVSS testing is done with the older dummy (33lb) and not the newer dummy. I'd assume that independent, Canadian-certified testing would still need to be completed. That's been one of the huge issues with getting seats into the Canadian market all along--the expense of testing for the Canadian market, not just labels and manuals. In an ideal world, testing could be completed for both markets in one go but we know how likely it is that TC will become more flexible on the differences between our requirements and US requirements.

-Nicole.

Ah, but 65lb limit order was done in a way to say test the seat in the same manner as FMVSS, with the requirement of top tether & the related head excursion. So when a seat passes the 65lb limit tests in the US with top tether it also passes the 65lb limit crash standards for CMVSS. :thumbsup: So in essence the same crash tests that certify the seat to FMVSS standards are certifying the 65lb seats to CMVSS standards dependent on the top tether attachment and the 720mm head excursion. (for ff'ing mode anyways, and since this is a ff'ing only seat, I'd expect them to be able to certify the seat at the same time for both CMVSS and FMVSS from a crash test perspective anyways...)

At least that's how I've interpreted this: (big box at the start of schedule 3)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENERAL/M/mvsa/regulations/rssr/rssr.htm

(2) For the purposes of Schedule 3 to the Regulations, a child restraint system that is designed for use by children weighing more than 22 kg must be tested in accordance with the testing procedures in FMVSS 213 for add-on child restraint systems (other than booster seats, car beds or harnesses), as defined in FMVSS 213, instead of the testing procedures in Test Method 213 — Child Restraint Systems. However, despite the options in [S6.1.1(a)(1)(A) to (D) S6.1.2(a)(1)(i)(A) to (D)]* of FMVSS 213, the tether strap must always be used.

(3) A child restraint system that is tested in accordance with the testing procedures in FMVSS 213 must be tested in accordance with section 5, Energy Absorbing Material Test Procedure, and section 6, Inversion Test Procedure, of Test Method 213. When the system is tested in accordance with section 6 of Test Method 213,

(a) the anthropomorphic test devices (ATDs) used for the testing procedures in FMVSS 213 must be used; and

(b) in subsection 6.4 of the Test Method, the reference to subsection 3.3.2 is to be read as a reference to subsection 3.4.2.

(4) For the purpose of paragraph 13(1)(c) of Schedule 3 to the Regulations, a child restraint system that is tested with an ATD that conforms to subpart S, part 572, title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations of the United States is not required to meet the resultant acceleration limit.

(5) For the purpose of subsection 13(3) of Schedule 3 to the Regulations, when a child restraint system is tested in accordance with the testing procedures in FMVSS 213, the dynamic seat assembly described in drawing package NHTSA-213-2003, with its seat back fixed so that rotation around the seat back pivot axis is prevented, must be used in dynamic testing instead of the dynamic seat assembly described in drawing package SAS-100-1000.

* Square brackets indicate an error in the quoted text. See Interim Order

So I've interpreted that to mean use their dynamic seat assembly, with their dummy & standards but to require top tether standard be passed only.

Plus meet our energy absorbing material test requirements since we now require that in any area that could be contacted by the head of a child during a crash.

(Guess I've totally gone OT by the way, maybe the thread should be split. :eek: )

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Out of curiosity, who was the rep answering so positively?

It was Debbie.

But Keshia tells:
Hi Julie,

I'm not sure who told you that it was going to be in Canada, but that is
not a guarantee at this time. It has not yet passed testing and until
it does, we do not know if or when it will be coming to Canada.

Keisha

Hi Julie,
I deeply apologize, but Debbie was misinformed. I assure you that if
this item were going to be available within the next few weeks, I would
know about it. As I had mentioned before, it has not yet passed our
testing requirements. Until it does, I can't tell you if or when it will
be available.

Keisha

And

Emily tells me:

Dear Julie,

Thank you for emailing your enquiry regarding the Nautilus car seat. The Natilus is unfortunately not available in Canada and we do not have a date of arrival as of yet. I would not advise purchasing it in the U.S. The ones available in the U.S. have not been tested to our standards. Should you need further assistance do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-667-8184 Monday to Friday 8:30-5:00pm and any one of our representatives will gladly assist you.

Best Regards
Emily: Service 3112
Consumer Service Representative
Elfe Juvenile Products

You know what just dawned on me, is that the required Canadian testing for the 65lb seats is completed at the same time as the FMVSS standards testing. Protocol is the same, test bench the same, as long as it meets our head excursion limit with the tether, then it passes pretty much from a crash test stand point anyways. So it must be a matter of stickers and manuals and right now they're a) overwhelmed by the demand in the US that they're focusing on that or b) just wanting the seat to suddenly appear in Canada the same way as it did in the US so are staying tight lipped about it.

But when you think about it, the standards part they're referring to can only be labelling and manuals. :rolleyes:

That is what I was told when a tech I work with looked into it. She said the seat had passed and was approved but wouldn't be coming here because of the labels and manual. Haven't I said this here yet :confused:

Yep, it was mentioned here :)

ladybug_mom

I emailed them too on March 22 and received a response on March 25:

Subject: Nautilus Availability in Canada?

Hi,

There has been a great deal of talk regarding your new Nautilus Seat on our Community Forums, especially in parents looking for that next stage carseat after their babies outgrow their infant carriers. I was hoping that someone could get back to me to let me know when this seat will be on the shelves in Canada, and where it will most likely be sold.

I know for a fact that there is very high demand for this seat as it fills a need that currently no other seat in Canada meets. Kudos to Graco for filling this void, and creating a "True 3-in-1"!

Looking forward to your response!

Cara

--
Cara Miller | www.CanadianParents.com

Community Leader

their response:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail your enquiry. Regarding the Nautilus Car Seat brand availability in Canada we regret to inform you that any required testing on it hasn’t been completed yet in Canada therefore its availability hasn’t been confirmed to us as of now.

We suggest that you follow-up its eventual availability in Canada on our websites or by contacting our Consumer Services dept.

Thank you

Donald De Gryse

Customer Service Dept.

Elfe Juvenile Products

1-800-667-8184

snowbird25ca

I just sent a new email tonight to see if there's an update of any sort. Maybe time for another barrage of emails? :cool:

BTW - What email has everyone been using. I know I had posted service @ graco.net before, but didn't see it when I looked at the site this time so used just the general elfe email address - service@elfe.ca. Is that the best email address?

snowbird25ca

I got a response from Graco today, similar story as what's been given before, but with a hoping it's available by the end of the year.

This was from Donald De Gryse:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry, the Graco Nautilus car seat isn’t available in Canada yet as it still needs to be tested.We are hoping to see it on the shelves by the end of the year.

Thank you

Customer Service Dept.

Elfe Juvenile Products

1-800-667-8184

Better than the *if* comments they were sending most recently anyways. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC