Graco Nautilus from 2009 - can't find lock clips?

grandisp

Hi,
I could use a little help! We have a Graco Nautilus from 2009. My daughter (6 yrs old, about 48" and ...45lb?) wants to sit in the 3rd row of our 2010 Pilot. This is fine with me, or will have to be, as we have 3 kids and one on the way so someone is going to have to sit back there at some point. I was trying to make it work while still using the harness, but the instructions say to use the seatbelt lock clips to install the seat since there is no latch back there, and I cannot find those. So for now I have thought better to install it like a booster (or, rather, not install it I guess)... than to wrongly install it without the seatbelt locking clips? ...Oh, actually, we did tether it so I guess that is somewhat installed?

What do you think - is it better to try to order the lock clips and go back to using it with the harness, and install with the seat belt? Or is it still quite safe to have her use it like a booster?

Also, Is it safer to put her in the middle of the 3rd row or the side?

And, in case you are still reading :) - what are your best recommendations for when #4 comes? We will have a newborn in a Chicco Keyfit, a 3 year old in a FF Britax Marathon, my 6 year old in the Nautilus, and a 10 year old who usually has a backless booster (Graco...basic one) or a Britax Parkway I think. He is big - 80 lbs and 58" I think.

We were thinking to keep the 6 year old in the 3rd row, then have the newborn in the center of the 2nd row, keep the 3 year old where he is behind the driver side, and my 10 year old in a backless in the 2nd row right side where we can easily remove the booster to allow the 6 year old to enter the 3rd row. Does this even make sense? Ack!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You don't need a locking clip, but you should install with the seatbelt and top tether. Just lock the seatbelt. You'll pull it all the way out slowly and gently. You can use it harnessed or as a high back for now if you'd like, but come January 1 you must use it backless.

I might put the 10 and six year olds in back, and the youngers in the middle, unless you need the 10 year old's help.

Do you have the screws in the armrests of the 10 year old's Turbobooster?

Wendy

grandisp

You don't need a locking clip, but you should install with the seatbelt and top tether. Just lock the seatbelt. You'll pull it all the way out slowly and gently. You can use it harnessed or as a high back for now if you'd like, but come January 1 you must use it backless.

I might put the 10 and six year olds in back, and the youngers in the middle, unless you need the 10 year old's help.

Do you have the screws in the armrests of the 10 year old's Turbobooster?

Wendy

Hi, thanks. So, I'm not confident the seatbelt is locking I guess. I'll try pulling it out slowly.
So - what is happening Jan 1st - is it something to do with the graco nautilus? or with 3rd rows? or .... thank you for filling me in! I feel like there is so much random info and I know none of it!

Yeah I kinda wanted the 10 year old with the 3 yr old and newborn to help and also because the 6 year old has a tendency to pester.

I do believe we have screws in the TUrbobooster....they are on the sides looks like to hold the arms in place for the position of the armrests? Is that a safety concern?

Thanks so much!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hi, thanks. So, I'm not confident the seatbelt is locking I guess. I'll try pulling it out slowly.

So - what is happening Jan 1st - is it something to do with the graco nautilus? or with 3rd rows? !

I am not positive, but I think Wendy is referring to the expiration. I believe that nautiluses expire as HBB and harnessed seats before the base expires as a backless booster. It looks like maybe your Nautilus can only be used as a backless booster after Dec 31 of this year because the rest of it will be expiring then.

As far as the belt locking, if you are concerned that you don't know whether it is locking properly, I would recommend getting an appointment with a car seat tech in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC