Graco nautilus 65 rear facing?

O

Owens2125

I just purchased a Graco Nautilus 65. The box says it is rear facing. However, the instructions do not show this and so far I can not figure out any way to install it rear facing. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install it rear facing? If not, I will return it for one that will. Thank you.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

It's a forward facing only seat. The box should show this. Forward facing 22-65 pounds as a harnessed seat (hint: if a seat starts at 22 pounds, it's forward facing), high back booster from 30-100 pounds, backless booster from 40-120 pounds.

Wendy

J

Joe R

What do you do if you have a big baby though? My 11 month old is 32" 23lb, but my state requires all children under 2 to be rear facing.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi Joe, the Nautilus and other combination harness/booster models are not suitable for a child under 2 years old.

A convertible car seat or all-in-one model used rear-facing is the right choice for a child that age and weight. Most of these models will keep a child rear-facing to well beyond 2 years old, as this is the safest mode for them to travel. You can find some suggestions from our community here: https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=39944

MelodyoftheForest

Age DOES matter when choosing what type of safety seat to use. The older a child gets, the more of their skeleton hardens from cartilage to bone. Before ossification happens in key places like the spine, kids need more protection. That’s why toddlers should rear-face.

I would suggest you look for a convertible or all-in-one seat that is very tall and has a 50 pound rear facing weight limit. The Graco Extend2Fit could meet your needs and is under $200. There are many other options these days too!

tylert11

Age DOES matter when choosing what type of safety seat to use. The older a child gets, the more of their skeleton hardens from cartilage to bone. Before ossification happens in key places like the spine, kids need more protection. That’s why toddlers should rear-face.

I would suggest you look for a convertible or all-in-one seat that is very tall and has a 50 pound rear facing weight limit. The Graco Extend2Fit could meet your needs and is under $200. There are many other options these days too!
In this case, you are right.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The good news is that there are lots of seats on the market now that realistically accommodate very large children rear facing to 2 and beyond, with 40-50 lb rear facing weight limits and high height limits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC