Golf cart safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So what do you do in areas (like resorts, campgrounds, etc.) in which golf carts are a popular mode of transportation? So the golf carts would be sharing low-speed roads with vehicles.

I know they sometimes sort-of have seatbelts, but do you actually install car seats on them?

Do you just let the kids sit on their own/hold them on your lap (depending on size/age)?

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
We have our Radian installed in our Polaris Ranger. I know not the same exact thing, but I told dh there must be a carseat in it if we leave our driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
LISmama810 said:
What if you have more than one kid and the backseat is rear-facing? :p

Have no idea. I suppose if the rear facing seat has seat belts I would ride rear facing with the kids since you cannot install a carseat on that seat. Or put the kids in carseats in the from if there are seat belts and ride in the back myself. I am not sure they have seat belts in golf carts though.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
azgirl71 said:
Have no idea. I suppose if the rear facing seat has seat belts I would ride rear facing with the kids since you cannot install a carseat on that seat. Or put the kids in carseats in the from if there are seat belts and ride in the back myself. I am not sure they have seat belts in golf carts though.

I've seen some lap belts, I think.

So is this one of those things where you just don't go in the cart at all? Or do you not worry about it since traffic is slow and knows there are golf carts? (And I'm asking the general "you," not YOU specifically :) )

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think if there is a huge population of golf cart drivers and I saw the motorists did pay attention I "might" do it with dd in a center lap belt.

Now for reality around here anyway. There are many golf carts and traffic on a 25 mph road. Personally I could not do it as we have so many people testing and driving. We know it only takes a second, so I would walk withthe kids in a stroller

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We've installed Radians in the rear facing seat... i know that's a no-no, but for this scenario, it didn't bother me.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i sure would use a seat, even if it was a rearfacing seat there fore technicaly a misuse.

My grandma has fallen out of golf carts twice on the course (no she's not a drinker) one time breaking a wrist.

I think that in this kind of case the seat is more for containment than crash worthyness, and i would be comfortable with the parental decision to use it off label if you will. i have no doubt that if i was hit by another golfcarter my child would be beter off in a misused seat than no seat at all

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Our small town allow golf carts all over town. We have a hwy that runs through town. People drive their golf carts on the shoulder of the hwy. We don't own one and probably never will. Seatbelts seem like a good idea.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My parents spend the "winter" (October-May :p :rolleyes:) in Florida, at a retirement park. There are lots of golf carts there, and also lots of older drivers. I will not let my kids ride in a golf cart on any road that carts and cars share.

However, I would consider letting them ride the golf cart on a cart-only path (and there are some) if the cart also had seatbelts available. I'd be OK with the DS and DD1 in seatbelts in that situtation, and wouldn't let DD2 ride anyway, so no worries about a car seat. (But I wouldn't have a problem with a car seat being used on a RF golf cart seat, etc. in that situation.)
:twocents:

T4K

I was in Key West recently and saw a MyRide installed on one of those golf-cart type cars. Made me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC