Going on a road trip - WWYD???

Michi

We are going to the Black Hills next week.

DH still hates the Regent, and he wants me to put Katie back in the MA for the trip and to put Annabelle in the ADV. (Katie is very upright in the Regent and she falls asleep a lot, and I agree for a long trip she probably WOULD be more comfortable in the MA which is more reclined.)

Both girls fit fine in the smaller seats seats, but if I switch them, I'll have to turn Annabelle FF again because her head sticks out of the ADV shell too far RF.
I know that technically she is okay FF, but it just makes me nervous.

WWYD?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As much as I'm inclined to say stick with safest practice & try to get the kids to accept it ... for long trips, sanity is so important & I would probably let the kids be in whichever seats they find most comfortably pleasing (of course, just make sure they're used correctly *wink*) Most crashes occur close to home anyway :eek:

If only you were going in another month or so, we could meet up!

southpawboston

Most crashes occur close to home anyway :eek:

yes, correct, but that statistic has no bearing at all in this case. that statistic refers to the fact that most of your driving, on average, is accrued very close to home. so statistically, yes, you have more chance of being in a crash wherever it is that you drive the most. but on any given day, wherever you are, you have the same likelihood of being in a crash... you are as likely to be involved in a crash far away from home as you are in your neighboorhood, at any given moment in time.

i just wouldn't want someone to take home the message that being far away from home decreases your likelihood of being in a crash.

amy919

That's a really tough call. I would prefer that my 2 year old be RF for the trip, but I certainly understand the comfort issue of the 4 year old.

Does your 4 year old care that her head flops? My 4 year old's head flops (she frequently falls asleep in the car) in her MA and it's doesn't bother her at all. It bugs the heck out of me, but she's perfectly fine with it.

If you're really wanting to keep the 2 year old RF for trip, would be it be worth it to pick up a Scenera (assuming she fits, of course) for the trip and then use it as a back up seat?

Amy

Morganthe

i just wouldn't want someone to take home the message that being far away from home decreases your likelihood of being in a crash.

:yeahthat:

For every destination you arrive at, you drive within 2 miles of your residence twice -- there and back again. It's not just a Hobbit's tale :p

I don't have a Regent at all, but have you tried the recline bar to see if it helps the lean? Sorry if you've answered this before.

Go with what the kids are comfortable in (and that's not necessarily what dh wants either). As a veteran of long distance trips, it's a lot easier handling kids when they're just tired of being confined than uncomfortable AND tired of confinement.

Good luck and have a great trip. I'd love to visit there someday :thumbsup:

fastdogs

I just broke in the new regent with a 17 hour road trip out to wyoming and another 17 hours back. My son loved it, and seemed comfortable. He sits cross legged in it most of the time, but can sling one leg over the side if he wants. I've got the recline bar in, it seemed too upright without it.
I'm very happy with it for a road trip seat!
vickie

natysr

You mentioned that your DH hates the regent, but does your child like it? Also, they make neck pillows for kids. They are called travel buddies. http://www.sacredways.com/trbunepiforc.html They are really cute, and fine for older children to use. Also, I think it may be better to have 1 RF and 1 FF. then they can see and talk to each other better in the car.

mommycat

Is this kind of pillow considered a no-no? Someone gave me one and it seems like a neat idea for when they are sleeping, but I wasn't sure. It is supposed to go around the neck in the front, not behind the neck.
522.jpg

southpawboston

For every destination you arrive at, you drive within 2 miles of your residence twice -- there and back again. It's not just a Hobbit's tale :p

hmm... for every trip away from your residence, don't you also drive to within 2 miles of your destination? twice? there and back again?" :question: :whistle: statistics, statistics... :D

natysr

Is this kind of pillow considered a no-no? Someone gave me one and it seems like a neat idea for when they are sleeping, but I wasn't sure. It is supposed to go around the neck in the front, not behind the neck.
522.jpg

The one I have goes behind the neck. I would be afraid of something that goes in front of the neck....I wouldn't use either for an infant.

The type I have & posted is fine to use, because it does not interfere with the harness adjustment..and it is for a toddler and older child so there is no concern with it slipping and cutting off air circulation. As far as the use...make sure to put the child in his/her seat and tighten the harness before putting the neck pillow around the child's neck.

Morganthe

hmm... for every trip away from your residence, don't you also drive to within 2 miles of your destination? twice? there and back again?" :question: :whistle: statistics, statistics... :D

Not always. I dislike travelling the same route on a return trip. Circles or ovals are much more fun. See something new. :D
So you can't rely on that assumption automatically for an official statistic :p :p :p
;)

Last edited:

mommycat

The one I have goes behind the neck. I would be afraid of something that goes in front of the neck....I wouldn't use either for an infant.

The type I have & posted is fine to use, because it does not interfere with the harness adjustment..and it is for a toddler and older child so there is no concern with it slipping and cutting off air circulation. As far as the use...make sure to put the child in his/her seat and tighten the harness before putting the neck pillow around the child's neck.

I am not sure my picture is the right one, but I couldn't find a better picture. The packaging says for kids 1-7 years old. I definitely wouldn't put anything on an infant, but now that DS is over 2, I thought it might come in handy if he falls asleep. His seat is pretty vertical and his head tends to flop forward - I am constantly reaching to lift it up and prop it on the side of the carseat but with every bump and corner, flop it goes again. I woul worry about him leaning his face into it, but it's no different that leaving him in bed with a pillow, surely? And I would think getting into a crash or hitting major potholes would hurt his neck if his head was hanging to his chest... I dunno.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
on any given day, wherever you are, you have the same likelihood of being in a crash....
Probably so & I fully agree that crashes can & do happen anywhere, that the higher the speed the worse the risk, but IIRC less than 20% (a high guestimate) of all crashes happen on highways -- not only because they aren't as commonly driven as the roads surrounding home, but because the traffic moves smoother with less people pulling out from intersections, etc.

My intended point was all about the distraction for the driver: comfier/happier kids = less distraction = less risk of crashing.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Why does he hate the car seat. My son, now 14 falls asleep in the car on every trip over about 15 miles. His head flops, but he doesn't care.

twom

In your place, assuming the Regent isn't causing some unsafe situation for your dh's driving, I'd keep the kids the way they are. Your littlest one is safer rear-facing, and that's more important than your dh not wanting to deal with the Regent, if that's the problem. What if you agree that you'll be the one to buckle you dd into the Regent? Would that solve the problem? And maybe if you install the Regent with the recline bar and keep a little pillow for your dd to use she'd be more comfortable sleeping. Has she complained that it's uncomfortable? My kiddos don't have any trouble sleeping in their Huskies. They don't seem to mind if their heads flop, even though it doesn't look comfortable. :)

Jody

Michi

Hello - (Sorry about the late response we had to make an unexpected trip to the doctor today! Joseph came to me with a huge blister on his foot that looked infected - It turned out to be a wart!) :rolleyes:

Tiffany - You were the first thing I thought of when we found out we were going to S.D.! I thought...I wonder if Tiffany is going to be out there? LOL! Especially since my cousins live on the Rosebud Reservation!

The Regent actually doesn't block our view at all, so that's not the worry. It is right behind the driver in our van... (DH does most of the driving - so he's usually the one buckling Katie in.)

DH's reasons for wanting to put Katie in the MA for the trip are:

1. He HATES the straps on the Regent. They are SO twisty - he hates constantly having to untwist them ( they fold/double over in the HUGS)
They really are a PITA!

2. We cannot get a tight install with the recline bar, and so the Regent is pretty upright. Katie sleeps 'okay' in the Regent on short trips, but for a longer trip, the MA would probably make her more comfortable.

3. The Regent sits so low compared to the MA - and DH wants Katie to be able to see out of the window when we drive through the Badlands, Custer State Park, etc.

4. ( This is a minor one but.)..DH thinks Annabelle would do better facing forward so that she can watch the DVD player. She's the only one who can't see it, and that might cause some 'difficulties.'

becca011906

Senior Community Member
we did a 18 hour 2 day trip to FL a while back, allie was turned FF for the trip but moved to the center of the car (when she was rfing she was out board). She could seen us better, i could get to her better, she could see the dvds ect. Abby was in the uptown on the way down b/c she slept better in it, allie was in the radain and slept fine in it even though it was upright and now sides/wings really.

Splash

Turn Annabelle, put Katie in the Marathon, and put Joseph in the Regent. Leave Julie like she is, and then all of your kids are very well protected. I would not sweat a 2 yo FF for a road trip, and your husband does have some good reasons (about wanting Katie to see out the window for this beautiful scenery, and not wanting Annabelle to be the only kid who can't see the movie all the other kids are laughing at).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC