Gender Specific or neutral car seat color

Jenson47

Hello,

I going to buy a Radian RXT and have 8th month old. Hope to have another in 2015ish. Hope the same child would be able to use this carseat when it comes times.

With that in mind, do you all typically buy gender specific or neutral car seat color?

Thanks.

ADS

Jessica61624

I usually buy gender specific seats. If I know I want to pass it down I'd purchase a new cover when its time. Or find someone who might want to trade.

MaKoski

I buy gender specific but that is because I have two girls and a third girl on the way. We have a red and a purple Radian so they can work for either a boy or girl. But we bought a pink frontier85 because that's what my oldest is in and she'll be in it until it expires. For our scenera I have a pink and neutral cover.

MorgieBear'sMama

Hello,

I going to buy a Radian RXT and have 8th month old. Hope to have another in 2015ish. Hope the same child would be able to use this carseat when it comes times.

With that in mind, do you all typically buy gender specific or neutral car seat color?

Thanks.

Gender specific for the child you're buying for now. You can always buy a different cover if the next is a boy.

ETA: sorry I thought the op said you had a girl.

Cnidaria

Personally, I would get gender-neutral for something like a convertible seat (or definitely an infant seat!). Then when the child is old enough to state a preference and they're moving up to a new seat, they can pick out which color they want for the new seat.

nannykates

For something like a radian that one kid would use for such a long time, I would go with a gender specific if that's what you wanted. But for something like an infant seat I would go gender neutral because you will hand those down between siblings.

That said, out of the three seats I've purchased 2 have been gender neutral because I don't have kids of my own and don't want to hear it from a boy about sitting in a pink seat.

HaileysMommy

Gender specific or whatever cover calls to you. You can always switch later and there is no guarantee when you'll have the next kiddo. Live in the present.

CMeMeC

For a newborn, I bought gender neutral, but I also planned to/did have a few kids close together and wanted to reuse. For a convertible for an 8 month old, I would buy gender specific if I liked the pattern best. You may of may not have more children and if you do, you may not want to hand down the seat. With that said, I bought a lot of gender neutral convertibles because I'm a bit obsessive about my seats matching each other and matching my car, but that's a whole new topic.

thtr4me

I buy kid specific seats if they are picky, and mama approved patterns if the kids have no preference. My DS1 has a Flora (Spring) RXT in our 3rd vehicle, and would sit in a pink seat in a heartbeat. He has Maui blue Frontiers in our other vehicles, but picked the blue because he liked the texture (or relative lack of) on the blue fabric. DS2 sits in Zebra seats because they are fun. So far he is too young to be picky about the color of his seat.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Just bought DD3 a Britax Roundabout 50 in Kathryn. Yeah, the black/grey would have matched better, but I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to not have grey in my car and have something fun and GIRLY. Been much too long!

And, around here, you are asking a bunch of car seat addicts who like to play musical car seats/covers every few months!! Who wants to see the same car seat for 5+ years? ICK ICK ICK. LOL

MorgieBear'sMama

And, around here, you are asking a bunch of car seat addicts who like to play musical car seats/covers every few months!! Who wants to see the same car seat for 5+ years? ICK ICK ICK. LOL

Very true! Very few around here buy one seat and use it forever. Check out the "what's your car seat number" thread for proof :D Buy what makes you happy and when that no longer makes you happy buy something else.

Lenae

I buy gender specific covers. I like color and patterns. I start takings my kids opinions into account when they start having opinions. I sent my MyRide with a cuddle cover back to Graco, and when shopping for a new seat to replace it, pink wad a requirement. Sassy insisted.

babyherder

I'm a nanny so I generally buy gender neutral. However, they are my seats and when it comes down to it, I buy what I like. I have a beautiful flower cover for a seat in the mail. It was be mostly used by girls but a boy might ride in it too. I like it and it will make me happy to have it in the back of my car.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I prefer gender-neutral colors for car seats. I like my car seat to coordinate with my car. Sometimes I like to switch it up with a flashier cover as a "spare."

My Civic gets really hot in the summer, so I swap out the Shadow cover on the 80SL for a Princess cover I got in the swap. By the end of summer last year, though, I was ready to go back to my nice sleek black cover. My daughter doesn't seem to care what color her car seat is.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I buy gender-neutral covers for two reasons.

1) I like them better (I like them to blend into the background as much as possible. Unless it is a cover that I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, my seats are tan, gray, or black.

2) I don't believe in "gender-specific" anything kid-related. If a girl likes a seat with rocket ships on it, that's awesome. If a boy likes a pink seat, that's great.

I don't let kids pick out their own covers on anything except backless boosters (because they are so cheap). If I buy the seat, and it is going in my car, I get to pick out the cover.

bella_1818

I only buy gray seats to match my gray leather. I did once buy a black seat, because it didnt come in gray. Yeah, I'm boring like that.

Jessica61624

Just bought DD3 a Britax Roundabout 50 in Kathryn. Yeah, the black/grey would have matched better, but I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to not have grey in my car and have something fun and GIRLY. Been much too long!

The longest I've owned a seat was 2 years.

Mom2Connor

We have GN seats but mostly because I don't care for goofy bright colors and patterns.

But now that our second and probably last baby is also a boy, I will likely get a more boy color for DS1s Britax Frontier when he's ready for one. Likely either the blue or red, may let him pick but we'll see if there's a price difference at the time of purchase.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC